“Fading fast...”

Mansion Lions Hotel
Ranked #35 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 18 August 2014

A mixed-bag to say the least; my expectations weren't great, having stayed here about 10 years ago. First impressions are of the typical Eastbourne Lions chain offering; once grand, now fading fast and in desperate need of some refurbishment beyond just the occasional tin of paint. The public rooms are shabby and we were less than impressed by the grotty corridors on the way to our room. However, after negotiating several fire doors and short flights of stairs, we arrived in a much smarter area. We were delighted by a massive, well-appointed room with a decent view. The bathroom was clean but in need of refurbishment, too. (We laughed at the ashtray strategically placed for the occupant of the toilet!) Happily, there was plenty of hot water, but the beds weren't the most comfortable, sadly. Whereas the water was hot, breakfast was anything but. The menu card says cooked to order - our full fry-ups had clearly been sitting around for some time. At £120 a night, I would have expected more. The Mansion comes nowhere near other seafront hotels like The Lansdowne or The Cavendish. The size of the room meant this hotel just about reached average; most of the other aspects were poor.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms marked with a P that border the road/seafront.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank GlostilIdie

Reviewed 2 August 2014

As a coach driver we stay in a lot of hotels from 2star 5star but this hotel takes the biscuit. Calls it's self a 3 star what a laugh. No hot water on the forth floor for a week. I could only get a shave by boiling a kettle Sad hotel sorry for the staff who work there. No not really. They can always go else where owner is a man who finished last in th e TV series hotel inspector so says it all asked for a refund but said no so. Taking him to as malls claim court. Under the service act of 1982. Watch this space. And hope he reads this. I will not be selling this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
16  Thank Tommythecoach
Reviewed 27 July 2014

It is almost like staying on the London eye, I pre booked my hotel room about a week before thinking I may get a nice room but instead...once the receptionists saw how young my partner and I are (18 & 21) , I think they realised they should chuck us out the way on the 4th floor, we were hidden in a corner on the 4th floor in a disgusting room. The receptionists should always be on reception (it is a hotel for god sake!) but there was no one on reception for ages. The room was full of dust...The bedding needs changing it was full of hair. I cant believe how horrible the room and hotel was, not ever staying there again. The lift needs re-doing as well. Using there logo on the carpet in the lift which can only carry 4 people?! The lift takes about 15 minutes to get up to the 4th floor from ground floor. The paint was peeling, the shower didn't get hot at all, we ended up going out because we were so hot in the room and that was at 1am! There was no air con, the shower made a banging noise when the water was running. The TV is not big enough for the room and two people cannot fit in the "double bed" as they call it! I think it is ridiculous. Never, ever staying there again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Phoebe H
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here on Saturday night,rooms were shabby,cracks everywhere,bathroom really needs updating.some of the staff were nice enough others were very rude! Our friends room couldn't of bn any smaller and was so hot even with fan on over night it was still really muggy.wouldnt stay here again if it was last room in eastbourne

• Stayed: July 2014
9  Thank Butterflygirl24
Reviewed 7 July 2014

It is almost like a habit. Each year I return to Eastbourne to cover the tennis and every time I hope that my regular room will have been decorated. It hadn't been and it hadn't been properly cleaned. On the windowsill was a cup full of fag ends, stains from last year were still there and the paint was peeling. I stayed for ten days and had to ask for my bed linen to be changed and for the room to be vacuumed as debris remained unmoved on the floor. I was grateful for the fridge, on its last legs, and the fan, well past its sell by. I wanted to point these things out to the General Manager Peter Hawley but he either didn't answer the call or was not told by the reception staff. I find the latter difficult to believe as they were excellent, helpful and sympathetic. I only ate breakfast in the hotel and have no complaints about either the food or the attentive staff.
Why do I keep returning? I like the size of my room and its position almost opposite the bandstand on the seafront. Brummie born and bred I still enjoy being by the seaside and, oh yes, it is very handy to the tennis where I was working every day.
ps. Liked the new tv's in the rooms, perfect for watching the World Cup even if you did lose the picture now and again!

Room Tip: Overlooking the sea is a must
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank thewriter
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I recently stayed at The Mansion Lions Hotel in Eastbourne and found it to be very disappointing. During the five days I was there there were three separate incidents where elderly people fell on the stairs due to rucked carpets. All three were taken to hospital but the staff seemed totally disinterested in what was obviously a serious safety issue. The Hotel was shabby and public areas not cleaned thoroughly. Properly cooked fresh vegetables were scarce and although the food overall was adequate it was never piping hot. I would never consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank jennie f
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Badly in need of some TLC and our waiter made Manuel in Faulty Towers look efficient, aside from that I had a single room on the 3rd floor on the side that was large and roomy, spotlessly clean and with a very comfy bed. One window was painted shut but the other was ok though the outside glass had way more than 12 months dirt on it. Cannot fault the food as the portions were good and the menu varied. One pud is steam sponge and custard - heaven!

Room Tip: Side rooms are quieter and you can still see the sea
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo