“Autumn weekend break”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Autumn weekend break”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The York House Hotel had clearly been refurbished when we entered the reception area. However, the room we were given HAD NOT. It was the the worst hotel room we had stayed in. It was grubby, stained carpet and wall paper, the bathroom was too small, had grout missing and enamel missing from the sink and bath. To cap it all the tea/coffee cups were cracked. After complaining, we discovered they were full and unfortunately some of their rooms had not yet been refurbished! We were one of the unlucky ones.
The hotel did put us in a new room the following night, which was clean and acceptable.
The seafront location, breakfast and staff were great.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013

Thank you for your positive comments reference my staff, location and Breakfast.

Avid readers of my conversations on Trip will show that I am transparent with the fact that 20 of our bedrooms are due yet to be refurbished.

My apologies for any disappointment and certain points as you say are noted for investigation.

Please contact me on my direct email mark.cotman@yorkhousehotel.co.uk to discuss further

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Thai first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We booked a two night break on the basis that the reviews on here were fabulous. Having returned home today I'm pleased to say that the hotel thoroughly deserves the credit it's given! We (my husband, 5 year old son & myself) arrived on Friday evening to very helpful & friendly reception staff & were directed to a huge room for 3 overlooking the seafront which was a lovely touch as we hadn't booked a seaview room. The full benefit of this was evident the next morning when we were privy to a quite spectacular sun rise! The heater had been put on so the room although big was lovely & cosy. We found the hotel to be clean & tidy throughout, a lovely mix of modern within a traditional building which isn't easy to pull off but the York House absolutely has. Breakfast on both mornings was delicious, fresh & hot with a good choice of pastries, fruit, cereals, yoghurts & cooked foods, toast was prepared for you as & when you asked along with tea & coffee, juices were available too. The small swimming pool was lovely & warm & again very clean, bit of a pain with no lockers & having to take your stuff into the pool area but with little space it's hard to see a solution to this & it's not really the end of the world! When we asked reception about towels for the pool we were advised to take the room towels down, leave the in the laundry bin in the changing rooms & then grab some fresh towels on the way back to the room after swimming which seemed to work quite well. The location is fantastic, a short stroll to the pier & about a 10 minute drive to Beachy Head which is spectacular! Overall a brilliant hotel with excellent staff & good facilities, we would return & recommend without hesitation!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013

I am glad that you and your family had a great stay with us and thank you for your comments regarding my staff and the overall facilities.

I note your 'locker' point but there are plans afoot to expand the changing areas - there is an odd hidden cupboard or two lurking around which we can knock into.

I hope we see you again soon so that you can see that great sunrise again
Surrey
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Hotel is well situated, about 8 mins walk to the pier. Parking outside the front is £1 a day from voucher obtained from receptiion.
Our check in was efficient and friendly. Our room was facing the end side of the hotel. They would have upgraded us to a sea view room but unfortunately they didn't have any available since we were staying the Friday night.
Room was recently refurbished, not sure if other rooms are similar. It was spacious and clean, bathroom was nice with bath and shower over. Newly tiled.
TV was enormous on the wall in front of the bed. Bed was large (2 singles zipped together) which was extremely cosy.
Breakfast in the morning was alacarte on the Friday morning but buffet on Saturday as it was busier. The alacarte was more interesting (had smoked salmon, kippers etc) though I'm not sure if we'd requested it on Saturday they might have provided it. We didn't bother though.
Altogether very satisfied with our 2 nights here and would give it a 4 star british hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us and you enjoyed your room and Breakfasts.

Sorry on this occasion we couldn't upgrade you but even now we are chock a block - I'm hoping for a quiet week soon but don't tell my boss!

Always feel free to ask for something and if we can we will

I am always candid with information and it is well documented that we still have 20 bedrooms left to fully refurbish which will be happening in the new year - so again always feel free to ask

Hope to see you again soon
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We recently returned from a two night stay at the York House Hotel. This hotel had been booked earlier this year on a special deal package for bed & breakfast for the months only of November and December.
On arrival we were delighted to be told that we were being upgraded and found ourselves in an enormous bedroom overlooking the sea.
We were very impressed with all aspects of the hotel and it was great to be so near the sea, pier and shops.
Parking was only £1.00 for the day being on the road outside the hotel. We spent a little time in the small swimming which was nice and warm.
In all we had a great time and hope to repeat our visit to this excellent hotel next year.

Room Tip: Needless to say a bedroom in the front of the hotel is best.
1 Thank Coreyboy

I am glad you had a great time with us and thank you for pointing out that the parking is 'cheap' comparatively to other seaside resorts close by - albeit I had a guest today checking in who was horrified at the expense!

look forward to seeing you on a return visit and keep looking out for those bargains - currently we are live on Amazon Local
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We arrived Monday 11th November and the weather was foul, although it improved during our three day stay. The Hotel does not have a car-park . However none of this mattered as the desk staff were brilliant in assisting us to park outside for £1 per day. That's right £1 per day. For that matter the staff throughout were superb whether in the bar, reception or the dining room. The dining room staff deserve special mention as they added so much to the dining experience. I must not exclude the room cleaners , who when met were friendly, good humoured and courteous and ensured that our room was a delight.
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed using the very warm pool and found that the poolside shower, the changing booths and towel availability very sensible.
Our visit was a special treat that the family had arranged to recognise that my wife had just celebrated a special birthday. She really enjoyed the experience, as did I. If there was one regret it was that we had to return home before we had the opportunity try try all the dishes on both the breakfast and the dinner menus. So a special thank you to the excellent chef and his staff.
We hope very much to have the opportunity to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Great to hear you had a good time with us albeit the 'sunshine coast' let you down initially.

Thank you also for your comments regarding our food and my staff whom I know appreciate it

Hope to see you again soon
warwickshire
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I regularly organise a group festive holiday booking for 50+ family & friends and always use trip adviser to help me find a nice hotel for my group bookings. So glad I booked York House Hotel, Everything I requested was done to perfection. The location is perfect, right on the seafront but far enough away from the hustle and bustle and only a 15 minutes or so walk to the town The rooms were all lovely, we upgraded to a sea view room which huge , the bed was very comfy and the room spotlessly clean. We also had a disabled young man in our group who was very pleased with his room and was very impressed with his bathroom. The Hotel has a small swimming pool which is lovely and warm and very relaxing. We asked about towels for the pool and was handed clean ones by Mark ( you only have to ask) The buffet style breakfast has a lot of choice so there is something for everyone, from cereals to yoghurts, fruit,pastries cooked breakfast and as much toast tea & coffee as you want. We had the set menu in the evenings for dinner which was very nice, the Saturday xmas dinner was really lovely and cooked to perfection, the tables were all laid out with crackers etc. we also had a visit from Santa which was a lovely surprise. The evening entertainment was also very good, the Saturday night was hilarious and Gary was brilliant and very talented! We also had the Sunday lunch which was very good and loads of choices. Can highly recommend this hotel for a group booking, the staff at this hotel work really hard and are extremely friendly, nothing is too much trouble for them. Ewa is lovely and works very hard in the dining room and looks after everyone.Also thanks to Mark the manager for making sure our group had a fab weekend. cant wait to come back! If I could give this a rating out of 10 I would give it a 11. Thank you all from Terrie Rowntree and her Group

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the upgrade
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013

Glad we could be of service to such a great group.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our standards

Let me know when you next wish to visit and we look forward to welcoming you back
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We arrived early to check-in and were greeted by a very polite and helpful guy on reception. We were advised that our room was ready and that we had been upgraded to a sea view. The room was very clean and tidy but a bit chilly. There was a heater which we took advantage of and this made the room very homely and cosy. I would advise that there was some kind of secondary blind/curtain in the bathroom as it is a big window and with the light on in the evening a net curtain is not sufficient for privacy.
Later, we had dinner in the hotel. Both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our food and it was very reasonably priced. The dining room staff were very attentive as was the lady working in the hotel bar. Overall we had a fantastic stay and would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013

I am glad that you had a good time with us recently and that you liked our sea view rooms.

We will always try and get you checked in no matter what the time if we can.

Thank you also for your comments reference my staff who I know appreciate it.