“superb stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
Lymington
“superb stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Amazing large family room over looking the sea,with a big sofa and fresh fruit to welcome us.
lovely indoor swimming pool which was empty most of the time,so our 6 year old could splash as much as she liked without upsetting anyone!
The staff were so friendly they couldn't do enough to help,highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fiona H
Mark C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN York House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you liked our large family rooms overlooking the sea.

We do provide little extras, as you say, and thank you for your comments regarding my staff.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Thai first
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed two days on a voucher break and as I had asked for a walk in shower because I was unable to climb into a bath we were given a ground floor room adapted fro wheelchair use.
The room was lovely, bed very comfortable, sea view and large wetroom, the grab rails round the toilet area whrer good and not too obtrusive, however there was no rail to assist getting out of the shower, no seat in the shower so how people who cant stand manage?, no seat on which to sit outside the shower so as I cant bend I couldn't dry myself.
Food was good and plentifull , staff were lovely. Like I said the hotel is nearly perfect.

Room Tip: sea view rooms are worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN York House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you liked our accessible room - we do have lots of purpose built walk in showers on other levels too.

If you do visit again please just ask for a shower chair as we have a couple of these as well but we don't put them in the wetroom as standard as they can be in the way if not needed. I note your point about a grab rail outside the shower and will rectify that.

Thank you for your comments about my staff and our food and hopefully we will see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights on a KGB deal.
We paid extra for a room overlooking the sea. The view was great, especially as we were able to sea the large breakers coming in on the evening when the weather was very bad, and we were able to look out on to it rather than being in it. The room was good sized and clean, twin beds very soft. Breakfast was either cooked or a buffet style, plenty to choose from. You can park your car in the road outside, Zone H, with a card bought from reception for £1. This allows you to park up to 11 am the next day. You can park in side streets for free. However, when we were there we did not see many free spaces in the side streets, and this was out of season. If coming by car, in season, you may find parking anywhere difficult. The hotel has a small heated swimming pool. Whenever we went we were the only ones in it. We will be staying again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a sea view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us and loved the rolling seas in the recent weather we have been having.

Parking in general is not a major issue even in high season.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Our stay was booked via an offer sight so we did get a very good deal. The room we were given was a sea view room and with a table and seats in the window was fantastic, there was even a separate dressing room area with iron and ironing board. The service by the staff was amazing nothing was too much even so far as printing us off directions to places we wanted to visit. The pool was fair size and very clean. Definitely a hotel we would return to.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you appreciated your sea views and by the sounds of it you were actually in an un-refurbished room which will become one of our new contemporary 4 poster rooms soon.

My staff will always help out if needed and thank you for your comments.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Northwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

My sister booked this short break to celebrate my 60th. We were allocated a wonderful room overlooking the sea which was very tastefully decorated. I am not usualy lost for words but this hotel takes some beating. The Manager Mark, along with his staff certainly worked together as a team for us to experience warm, friendly service with a smile at all times - a rarity these days!

The evening meal included scallops & venison, breakfast locally produced and fairtrade produce. The soldiers served with my fresh farm egg brought back very happy memories of childhood, a lovely idea.

We were also fortunate to be blessed with sunny weather on the 23rd January and had a truely amazing time. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and have just booked a further 'deal' to share a break with my daughter.

Thanks to all - my sister has also written to the Head Office with her gratitude.

Room Tip: Worth having a sea view - a nice view even on a wet day
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our sea views and refurbished rooms.

Thank you for your comments about my staff and you must have caught me on a good day if I was smiling!

I am glad you liked our reformed Breakfast Buffet including the 'boil your own' egg station.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon when you return to us.
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed at York House Hotel and had a wonderful time. Upgraded to a sea view, which was a real treat. Staff first class. Nothing negative to say at all. Wish all hotels were this attentive. Would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you appreciated our practice of upgrading on arrival if available.

Thank you for your comments overall and in particular my staff.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Like others we arrived in the rain and it didn't stop until we left! We paid for an upgrade to sea view so a little disappointed that others got it for free but we did need a room on a low floor . My husband and I have stayed in many hotels, although the hotel itself was good we found the food was not up to scratch, the first evening we had dinner and were "encouraged" to have three courses only to be faced with a bill for dessert and coffee. Breakfast the first morning was buffet and although a good selection food was not hot, second morning we had to order our breakfast and it was"cooked to order". When our food arrived the plates were hot but food was cold with only one mushroom and one tomato half, we did mention this to the waiters and on checking out and were told "sorry". Not really acceptable.

Room Tip: Sea view room great but can be noisy, avoid a room near a fire door!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Votierjude
Thank you for your review.

I think it is fair to say that if you want to guarantee a room with a view and specific floor then a pre charge is added. If you want to take 'potluck' and risk it and ask for a free upgrade on arrival, we will if we can, however that way there is no guarantee.

I did apologise personally to you as I checked you out and it's a shame that you weren't perhaps a bit more candid, but also you mentioned the one day and not the other.

Like anyone else we make mistakes and if you were after something more than an apology all you needed was to say so.

On the deal you were on it is quite clearly stated and as you say it is 2 courses. I hope my staff didn't 'straight jacket' you into the extra course and coffee - they assure me they didn't.

We serve large 'flatcap' mushrooms where one is the standard portion - if you do want another one and as I often say please ask and we will be more than happy to oblige.