“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Ely, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We spent three nights at the York House hotel and had a very happy stay. The staff were excellent, food was great, room was clean and comfortable but a little on the small side. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank hollieandneil
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a good stay with us and I acknowledge your point that our 'standard' rooms are smaller than our 'sea view' rooms but as you say they are clean and fully functional.

It is well worth the upgrade in my opinion, but also if you are candid and it is just a place to rest your head whilst enjoying the rest of Eastbourne then............

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our food and hopefully we will see you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Thai first
Stowmarket, Suffolk
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here as a base for the football at Brighton and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Our room with a sea view was very pleasant with an ample en suite bathroom. It was nice to have a decent sized bath and a decent sized TV in our room. The staff were all very obliging particularly the breakfast staff on duty who made you feel as though they cared. The buffet style breakfasts were excellent with cereals, pastries, help and make yourself toast and all the usual food for the great British breakfast. Could not fault the breakfast experience at all. The reception area of the hotel is pleasant and the swimming pool was properly heated unlike some hotels we have stayed at. Through no fault of the hotel the parking in Eastbourne is a massive problem and even in March we had to park a good quarter of a mile from the hotel. The hotel offer a £1 permit for 24 hour parking but this is of little use if you cannot find a space on the nearby roads. Our bedroom windows were not double glazed so you can hear the sea which did not bother us at all but you can also hear the traffic. This is a minor point but worth mentioning.
We did have a problem with the aerial connection in our room as we could not receive BBC1. This was reported to reception on our first morning and was told it would be put right. Alas although it was looked at we still could not get BBC1 when we returned to the hotel in the evening. A great shame as everything else on our visit was very pleasing.

Room Tip: A sea view room worked for us as you can sit by the window and watch the world go by.
1 Thank itfc2007
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your break with us and thank you for your comments reference my Breakfast staff and indeed the Breakfast itself.

I note your comment reference the TV and myself am disappointed that this was not rectified for you. I looked into myself and it was just a simple case of replacing the internal aerial lead. Apologies.

Parking is as busy as it is going to get as we are running at more or less capacity at the moment - I have to do the parking 'run' every working day!

We hope to see you again soon on a return visit ( and if BBC is not working feel free to call for me if I am on duty)
UK
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights at this wonderful hotel and can highly recommend it. We had a sea facing room with a wonderful view. The room was well appointed and tastefully decorated. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HarlandUk
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you appreciated your 'new' sea view room and thank you also for your comments reference my staff.

We hope we will see you again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Sitting in the Sea View Room with the sash window open listening to the sea, feeling the sea breezes and breathing wonderful salty air - what could be better ?
Room is a very reasonable size with good facilities.
An old Hotel but well maintained so retains its charm.
Staff are very welcoming and helpful - really pleasing.
Food is really good from "everything you could want" buffet breakfast through to fantastic dinners in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Sea View !!!
2 Thank John S
Thank you for your review.

There is a common theme running here that the sea views are well worth the upgrade so thank you for mentioning and I am glad you enjoyed your break with us.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our food and hopefully we will see you back soon.
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We visited this hotel on an offer, as did a high percentage of the other guests, it being out of season. The room we upgraded to was very pleasant with excellent sea views. The staff we had contact with were all very helpful. The restaurant was fairly full but the staff coped very well. The standard of service was very high, especially as many of us were on excellent value deals. We would happily v is it again

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
2 Thank Brian S
Thank you for your review.

Glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us in your sea view room, well worth it as you say.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our food and we hope to see you again soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I had an Amazon voucher 2 night bed-and-breakfast stay with dinner included on the 1st night. We had upgraded to a sea-view room and were not disappointed. The hotel faces the beach and we had the refreshing sight and sound of the sea coming in and out over the shingle beach. Reception staff were very pleasant, and we found all staff friendly and extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Our room was large, clean and comfortable, and we both slept very well. Dinner on our first night was excellent, good food well cooked and well presented. My only critisism - breakfast was, unfortunately, a little disappointing. Good choices, but, as it was buffet-style, some of the food was rather cold. Overall, we had a very enjoyable, relaxing stay and would certainly consider staying at the hotel again.

2 Thank Mary I
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us overall and the sea view room was worth the upgrade.

Thank you also for the comments reference my staff and the Dinner.

I note your point reference the 'breakfast' and of course this should not be the case which i will look into and thank you for bringing to my attention.

We hope you do visit again.
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Really lovely stay. the Hotel, Staff and Food were all excellent. we would certainly return.The restaurant staff could not do enough for us, we also had the deal with Amazon, which was amazing value. Great
Ann 394

Room Tip: choose room overlooking sea.
2 Thank Ann B

I am glad you enjoyed your anniversary break with us and appreciated our sea view rooms.

Thank you also for your comments reference my staff and in particular the Restaurant.

Hopefully you will see us again soon