“Not Paris but Eastbourne in the Spring!”

Best Western York House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Not Paris but Eastbourne in the Spring!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Late Tuesday afternoon, the 25/03/14, we arrived at the "Best Western York House Hotel" in Eastbourne. It was cold. It was raining. It was very windy. So we were not at all pleased to discover that through some electrical/mechanical fault our shower did not work correctly. At this point, dear reader, you are probably looking at the 5* rating that I have given this establishment,
and wondering if this reviewer is totally mad!!! Well all businesses/companies have problems and having been in business for many years myself, I learnt that the measure of the mettle of a company can be discovered by how they solve their problems. In this case. no sooner had we put down the room 'phone from having contacted reception, Darren - the Duty Manager - was in our room attempting to solve the problem. He could not! Darren was then followed by Mark - the General Manager - who also tried unsuccessfully to solve the problem! We were, of course, offered another room, but were reluctant to move having just unpacked after a long journey.
Needless to say, the problem was solved to our entire satisfaction by 9.00 am the following morning, showing the ethos of this particular hotel. The staff are most amicable and extremely helpful and it won't be long before you are chatting to the likes of Andrew or Tania!
So what about the food? Well how do 'starters' like 'Warm Pear and Brighton Blue Cheese Salad' or 'Pressed Wild Sussex Rabbit Terrine' appeal to you? And for main course how about 'Pan Seared Loin of Sussex Venison' or an Award Winning 'Pie of the Day'? And the desserts are just as good with 'Tea Poached Pears' and 'Caramelised Banana Panna Cotta' sometimes featuring on the menu. This hotel is, in my opinion a 5-star hotel with a 3-star rating.
The staff are ably led by Mark - the General Manager - a true professional in the hotel industry who doesn't just sit behind a desk, but is there supporting his staff as they endeavour to care and cater for their many guests. By the way, the hotel was fully booked when we were there!
Would we stay at this hotel again! The problem is that now we have told all you Guys about this place, what chance do we have of actually booking a room?????

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TshirtT
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

In all essence and by all accounts the review you have posted is what is now considered to be a 'perfect' review.

Negatives and positives and evenly balanced.

I will agree with you that as long as we are informed we will do our utmost to resolve a 'situation' to your satisfaction. However the crux is that we are given the opportunity to do so prior to your departure, which is much more salient.

I have always failed to understand why 'a guest' would let a situation annoy them throughout their stay and not engage with us and try to come to a resolution. But I guess the English malaise is still within some of us...........it is getting better though.

Thanks again and hope to see you soon on a return visit and we will try not to have a 'situational arrival for you'!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Thai first
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The hotel gave us a wonderfully warm welcome on arrival and our stay was a great one from then on. The room was directly facing the sea with a beautiful view and so close you could hear the waves crashing onto the beach at night. Bed linen and bed really comfortable and the room spotless. We stayed for dinner one night which was really good too. Would have given 5 stars but the breakfast on the Saturday morning was limited, as if they'd been taken by surprise by the number of guests but really would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: Always choose a sea view!
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed yourself with us recently.

Thank you for your comments reference our dinners and clean rooms and my staff.

I note your point reference Breakfast and this will be taken in hand and my Head Chef has been already asked to investigate as a 'surprise' for Breakfast is never allowed to happen.

Hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as a couple at the end of March 14 through a Groupon deal of £100 for 2x nights, inclu. dinner on 1 night & brekkie on 2 mornings. Great deal !
The hotel itself as you enter the reception area is very warm & inviting. A lovely coloured decor of warm browns & reds & good lighting.
Dinner: - included in the deal, was a 2 course, really tasty & nicely presented starter & dinner from the menu, then if wanted, dessert & drinks as an extra on top.
Breakfast: - buffet style full English as well as a Continental option or fruit & cereals to choose from. All very enjoyable.
The position of the hotel is perfect. Right on the sea front & only a lovely 10 minute sea front walk into the town centre.
There is parking on the road outside the hotel but you need to park in the area marked H & you can ask reception for a nights permit for £1 at the desk.

Now the room itself: - well like I said at the top, 'cheap seats at the back' & to be honest, for a deal costing £100 for a couple for 2 nights & 3 meals inclusive, I do feel a bit harsh in my complaint especially as I am a believer in 'you get what you pay for', but room 131 was tiny & dirty. Thick dust on top of the wardrobe, mirrors, window seal etc. Really dirty window looking out onto the back court yard. Windows so dirty that we had to bend & move around til we could see a small spot outwards. Dusty, old carpets & rickety beds.
Good points would be the towels & bed linen were actually nice, very white & fluffy.
Would I stay at the York House again ? ...... Yes, but upgrade to a nicer & cleaner room!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am glad overall you had a pleasant stay with us and thank you for the positives of your review which include our linen, food and location.

I have been unable to check today the specifics of your room which, as readers will see, is certainly not a common theme and apologies for this as an issue. I have raised it as an issue to our outsourced Housekeeping Agency and their Area Manager is visiting tomorrow to investigate.

Thank you for bringing to my attention and good to sea that you would re-visit and we hope to see you again.
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We spent three nights at the York House hotel and had a very happy stay. The staff were excellent, food was great, room was clean and comfortable but a little on the small side. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank hollieandneil
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a good stay with us and I acknowledge your point that our 'standard' rooms are smaller than our 'sea view' rooms but as you say they are clean and fully functional.

It is well worth the upgrade in my opinion, but also if you are candid and it is just a place to rest your head whilst enjoying the rest of Eastbourne then............

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our food and hopefully we will see you back again soon.
Stowmarket, Suffolk
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here as a base for the football at Brighton and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Our room with a sea view was very pleasant with an ample en suite bathroom. It was nice to have a decent sized bath and a decent sized TV in our room. The staff were all very obliging particularly the breakfast staff on duty who made you feel as though they cared. The buffet style breakfasts were excellent with cereals, pastries, help and make yourself toast and all the usual food for the great British breakfast. Could not fault the breakfast experience at all. The reception area of the hotel is pleasant and the swimming pool was properly heated unlike some hotels we have stayed at. Through no fault of the hotel the parking in Eastbourne is a massive problem and even in March we had to park a good quarter of a mile from the hotel. The hotel offer a £1 permit for 24 hour parking but this is of little use if you cannot find a space on the nearby roads. Our bedroom windows were not double glazed so you can hear the sea which did not bother us at all but you can also hear the traffic. This is a minor point but worth mentioning.
We did have a problem with the aerial connection in our room as we could not receive BBC1. This was reported to reception on our first morning and was told it would be put right. Alas although it was looked at we still could not get BBC1 when we returned to the hotel in the evening. A great shame as everything else on our visit was very pleasing.

Room Tip: A sea view room worked for us as you can sit by the window and watch the world go by.
1 Thank itfc2007
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your break with us and thank you for your comments reference my Breakfast staff and indeed the Breakfast itself.

I note your comment reference the TV and myself am disappointed that this was not rectified for you. I looked into myself and it was just a simple case of replacing the internal aerial lead. Apologies.

Parking is as busy as it is going to get as we are running at more or less capacity at the moment - I have to do the parking 'run' every working day!

We hope to see you again soon on a return visit ( and if BBC is not working feel free to call for me if I am on duty)
UK
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights at this wonderful hotel and can highly recommend it. We had a sea facing room with a wonderful view. The room was well appointed and tastefully decorated. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HarlandUk
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you appreciated your 'new' sea view room and thank you also for your comments reference my staff.

We hope we will see you again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Sitting in the Sea View Room with the sash window open listening to the sea, feeling the sea breezes and breathing wonderful salty air - what could be better ?
Room is a very reasonable size with good facilities.
An old Hotel but well maintained so retains its charm.
Staff are very welcoming and helpful - really pleasing.
Food is really good from "everything you could want" buffet breakfast through to fantastic dinners in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Sea View !!!
2 Thank John S
Thank you for your review.

There is a common theme running here that the sea views are well worth the upgrade so thank you for mentioning and I am glad you enjoyed your break with us.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our food and hopefully we will see you back soon.