“Comfortable & Clean”

Best Western York House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The York House hotel is nice, basic and well located hotel on the sea front at Eastbourne. The rooms are clean and comfortable although they could do with a bit of a refurb., The staff were very helpful (East Europeans) and courteous. The breakfasts were wonderful - hot, English breakfast, and plenty of it on a buffet style presentation. We just loved their breakfast.

Room Tip: We were stuck at the back of the hotel facing some grotty old buildings but be firm and request a se...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B L
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you found our breakfasts and my staff great ( by the way I only have 3 Eastern Europeans currently the rest are either English or Western European - not that we generalise by region)

As mentioned by lots of our reviewers and as you say it is always worth asking fro a sea view if we have any available.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,166)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here after using a Buy a Gift voucher and after a bad experience at another hotel last year we were so pleased we chose this hotel. Our room was wonderful , well decorated and lovely and clean. The staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for everyone - if we are back in the area we would def stay here again .

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see from the picture that you enjoyed your ground floor sea view room.

Thank you as ever for the comments on my staff and we are glad we could restore your 'faith'.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon if you are in the area.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I was given a present of a two day stay at a hotel for my birthday. My husband and I chose the York House Hotel as we had not stayed in Eastbourne before and it was not too far away. When I booked the room I was offered a sea view but as it was an extra £50 it seemed a lot as the price of the holiday was only £99. I thought the room we booked would be good even without a sea view. Big mistake! the room was very small with a very small bed and an even smaller bathroom, it was clean but it spoilt the holiday as it was so claustrophobic for two people, it seemed like a single room. We slept badly as we heard people going past on the stairs it seemed all night and there was no air, very stuffy even with the window open.
I just feel it is unfair that just because you do not pay the extra you get a room that is unsatisfactory and disappointing to say the least you are punished for not paying for a sea view.
On a good note the staff were very welcoming and friendly and the breakfast very tasty it was just the room, there is obviously no choice unless you pay.

Room Tip: Pay for a seaview !
1  Thank Goldilocks39

Thank you for your review.

Always sorry to see someone that has been disappointed. I note from your reservation though that we had no note of Birthday and no notes have been made for a request of room type - which is a shame because we would have done our utmost to assist if we had been communicated to.

All hotels, and we are no exception, have varying room sizes and types - if you see our reviews we will always try to upgrade wherever possible but as a guarantee the sea view rooms are worth the money.

If you do wish to travel over from Kent again drop me a direct line and I will sort out something special for you at the same rate.

My direct email is mark.cotman@yorkhousehotel.co.uk

Glad at least you found my staff and Breakfast good.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Ok, I stayed here for a few nights to meet up with friends in the area. What a pleasant surprise!! The Hotel was lovely, room was gold and beige with great TV and sea view. The hotel boasts a beautiful swimming pool and gym . Bed, big and comfortable and the room was perfect to fall asleep to the sound of the sea! Breakfast was amazing with continental and full English on offer, award winning sausages and as much as you can eat! The restaurant was equally good with locally sourced meats , guinea fowl and venison also offered. Nothing was too much trouble and the staff are all welcoming and attentive! I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steph A

Thank you for your review.

Glad to see you had a good time with us recently and thank you for your comments about my staff and our food.

Glad you enjoyed the pool.

Looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

my wife and i have had another wonderful stay in this hotel. service.staff and rooms as always
first class. we are coming again during the christmas period.the easter bunny made a pleasant surprise at breakfast.the manager(mark)ensures that your stay is enjoyable
reg/eileen purkiss

Room Tip: select seafacing rooms away from lifts
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review.

Great to see you both again and glad you liked your 'bunny'.

Looking forward to seeing you again for New Year if not before.

(PS My apologies for the reviewer directly below this one I hit the send button by mistake I didn't mean to be so basic (!) and thanks for the great comments)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Had a very enjoyable two night stay. Staff friendly & helpful, rooms & public areas clean , nicely furnished & comfortable. Breakfast was superb with a huge range to suit every taste & the Easter chocolate bunny for everyone on the table on Sunday was a lovely touch. We managed to park outside the hotel & the voucher from the reception allows 24 hour parking for a £1, bargain. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Should dogs be allowed in hotel rooms is a Marmite question, you'll say that's great or that's disgusting! York House allows dogs in rooms but the hotel's policy isn't obvious from the Best Western web site.

York House does a four star job in a three star hotel. Service is particularly and noticeably good. Front of house and dining staff are pleasant, polite and well trained. Special mention to Ewa for her considerate dinner service.

The hotel is perhaps not in the best part of Eastbourne but just 20m from the beach, sea view rooms have a very relaxing outlook. The £1/day parking rate from the local council via the hotel is a good idea, Brighton could learn lessons here!

I have marked down York a House on cleanliness for two reasons. The first is out of local management control. The franchise holders need to spend money upgrading the dated and a bit icky bathrooms. The second isn't, it isn't too hard to vacuum right up to the edge of the room. Get that better and a five star review would be justified.

We picked up a good two night deal from Amazon, worth looking out for. Bizarrely though we had to pay the sea view supplement on arrival, the reason lost in language with the receptionist.

And, by the way, we think dogs in hotel bedrooms is a bad idea.

Room Tip: Sea view is worth paying for.
1  Thank hazy_amersham
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for your review.

As you say, I happen to like Marmite, but I appreciate your point. I would point out that on our website it is quite prominent on the home page we are pet friendly, but this afternoon I will make it even clearer via our STOP PRESS banner running across the home page, so people can clearly make their choice.

I personally believe that people with dogs, or cats or guinea pigs (yes we have had them too!) should be able to come away and we will even set a table for you in our Bar for dinner and breakfast so you can dine together.

On that point we will obviously have to agree to disagree.

Thank you for the rest of the review and in particular my staff and Ewa in particular and I note your points reference housekeeping.

As you noted you paid Amazon for your break but this is for a standard room and the sea view charge is collected upon arrival locally.