“what more can you want”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Epping, United Kingdom
“what more can you want”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

exellent food and service cant wait to go back hotel is convenient for pier and entertainment also not too far from the main shopping centre the resturant had a good varied menu the staff were extremely helpful and were extremely knowlegable about events in and around eastbourne

Room Tip: sea views superb virtually no traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us recently and thank you for your comments reference our food and my staff.

Good to see you note the benefits of our sea view rooms as well.

We look forward to seeing you when you return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Thai first
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Had a function here over two days, we had a very small room which looked out onto a courtyard area that was full of rubbish skips and washing hanging on a line (looked like something out of coronation st) the function room downstairs was sizeable and had its own bar which the staff were very attentive. Beach front location, short walk to the pier and town centre.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

I note your comment reference a skip and whilst I appreciate your point of view we are still refurbishing bedrooms and this is a necessary evil, however neighbours washing is beyond my control I'm afraid.

As mentioned on numerous occasions our standard rooms are smaller than our seaview rooms and therefore the upgrade as I am sure you will have noted is well worth it.

Thank you though for your comments reference my staff throughout your group weekend with us
Hythe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here using a Christmas Gift voucher. Pleasant hotel, clean and convenient as it's on the sea front. Staff were very good from the moment we checked in (Amy a trainee) they were helpful and informative. The highlight of the stay was the breakfast. Buffet style but just about anything you could want. Good local oroduce used, home made preserves and scones and organic juices. Would return.

Room Tip: Had a basic room but it was clean and comfortable.
3 Thank kaytee07
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a good stay with us in one of our standard rooms.

Thank you also for your comments reference our breakfast and specifically mentioning Amy who is one of our Front Office Apprentices and I know you have made her day.

We hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great service and a nice hotel. They gave us a free upgrade to a sea view room on the second floor which was nice but our last room on the ground floor next to the restaurant was huge and recently refurbished to a real high standard.
Perfect position, near to pier, town centre and in the other direction Sovereign Harbour which is beautiful and we had a nice walk and Italian meal there.
We have eaten in the restaurant before which was excellent but the weather was nice so we fancied a walk out. Breakfast is quality with good, unhurried service. Best sausages ever. A bit better fruit and maybe a bit more choice on the cakes and it would be perfect.
Would have given 5 stars for cleanliness but my wife claimed there was a pubic hair in the bath so wouldn't have a bath. Hey ho what's a pube between friends.

2 Thank James R
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your review.

From your review I am guessing you are a return visitor and if you do wish to re book ever - please always request a favourite room and if we can we will.

Glad to see you enjoyed your visit and those sausages took plenty of research before we settled on them but I agree they are very good, ethically sourced and a very high meat content and by the way not cheap!

I note the 'hairgate' incident for which please pass on my apologies to your good lady - just popping my housekeeper down to see the optometrist - then normal service will be resumed.

Hopefully see you again soon.
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed at this dog friendly hotel recently and was impressed.
Staff are very friendly, polite and went out of their way to help with any queries I had.
Upgraded to a large sea view room which was excellent.
The hotel also provided bed, treats and water bowl for our pet dog which
was very thoughtful.
Breakfast table was set up in bar area overlooking sea which was very nice.
Buffet breakfast was excellent but cannot comment on evening meal as we
ate elsewhere.
Did not avail of fitness centre or spa
Overall an excellent break which surpassed my expectations.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Room upgrade to sea view is worth extra money.
1 Thank frank d
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a pleasant break with us and glad we could accommodate your dog with the 'extras' too.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our Breakfasts but just to point out we just have an indoor pool not a gym or spa just in case you excite other readers

Hope to see you again if you do return.
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

A comfortable hotel that was closely situated to the sea. Pleasant staff and very good buffet breakfast. We had a Groupon deal but paid extra for a sea view although there wasn't much to see apart from the sea - no ships etc!. For me the evening meal was disappointing but I suspect that was due to the dining room being very busy or the chef doesn't know how to cook pork belly. My wife had steak pie which was better. We had a better meal in the Veranda bar the following evening, which was very quite but had a very pleasant barman who reappeared at breakfast the next day!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnH887125
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your seaview room albeit we will have to organise some ships next time you visit - not beyond the realms of possibilities with a bit of notice.

Thank you also for your comments reference our Breakfast and my staff and specifically the Barman, Andrew, who is a multi tasker.

Sorry you didn't like your dinner in the Restaurant particularly but good to see your bar meal the next day was more acceptable.

Hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel is in a nice location on the seafront and only a short walk into town.We had a standard room which was small but adequate.The breakfast was buffet style and of average quality but lacking a good variety of seasonal fresh fruit.The staff were all friendly especially Eva who ran the restaurant.My main reason I marked this hotel down was that the fire alarm went of at 5 am and quite a few guests vacated their rooms and gathered in reception until the staff member on duty announced that 'all seemed fine' and we could return to our rooms.The alarm at this time was still ringing on the monitor in reception so it was with some apprehension that we all returned to our rooms.Also no apology or explanation was offered the next morning.

3 Thank sanfoin
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for your review.

Glad to see you had overall a pleasant stay with us - with the exception of the fire alarm which I am sure you can appreciate was not intentional. This was deemed as a 'common fault' so in other words a technical hitch hence why you would have heard the panel in reception still bleeping.

My staff were instructed to deal with sympathetically and I'm sorry if this was not the case.

Thank you though for your comments reference Ewa and the staff in general. Not sure about the fruit as we do have freshly prepared fruit platters on the buffet for breakfast and they were certainly there that morning as I saw them at 7am when I came in - perhaps they were being refreshed whilst you were at the buffet.