“Really nice weekend away”

Best Western York House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Really nice weekend away”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I spent some time looking for a hotel that could cater for my family and our four legged friend and settled on the York House Hotel after reading reviews on trip advisor.
How pleased were we to find this fantastic hotel. We had a family room overlooking the sea which had a double bed, single bed and double sofa bed. The bathroom had a large shower but no bath. The sea view was excellent and we had a first class view of the carnival too.
The staff were all really friendly and you felt nothing was too much trouble. Because of our four legged friend we had breakfast and dinner in the bar area (which I preferred to be honest). The hotel was busy but you never felt that this was the case because of the efficiency of the staff.
We used the pool (fairly small but nice) and pretty much everything but the main resturant (for reasons explained). Our four legged friend had the run of the place except the resturant and pool.
Would I recommend this hotel Yes
Would I recommend Eastbourne Yes
Would I recommend Best Western Yes

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad yourselves and your 4 legged friend had a good time with us recently and we do our best to cater for this. I actually had a guest say last week that all Best Western's should ban dogs, which is a bit harsh! We specifically state on our website we are pet friendly and as they say you make your choice.

Thank you also for your comments reference my staff and I am glad you also appreciated the separate dining we can arrange so that you can all be together.

We hope to see you all again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the York House Hotel during this past half term week, for 2 nights. The family room ( 2 adults, 2 children) was on the second floor overlooking the sea. It was clean and pleasant with complimentary caramel waffles and apple juices.

Overall, we had a wonderful 2 days. All the staff were friendly, with the receptionists particularly charming and helpful.

Breakfast offered a great variety to suit all tastes with some of it locally sourced as well.

We were offered as many towels as needed. Whenever we went for a swim in their pool (small pool but complimentary so a great bonus) we were able to pick up fresh towels from reception.

Definitely 5 star with one reservation - there must always be one - after all we're human! The double bed was quite soft. This is fine if you enjoy sharing the middle of the bed with your partner all night long. It's a long climb to reach the side, so you must allow an extra half an hour to get out of bed in the morning :-) Joking aside, a great hotel; well worth while, and Eastbourne - a real treat to explore.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing view if you are a sea lover and 2nd or 3rd floor if you want a quiet room for l...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Emma P
Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see that you and your family had a good time with us and that you were allocated a superior family room, I can tell because of the caramel waffles, which were a secret but too late now.......

I will look at the bed situation which shouldn't be the case but as you say look on the bright side at least you got extra time in bed.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our breakfasts and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I was looking for something really special as a lovely treat for my wonderful husband, who after five long painfilled years is still recovering after a serious car accident. The booking could not have been more straight forward using an Amazon Local deal for three nights with breakfast included.The manager & all the staff were extreamly courteous & helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Our room was superb, well maintained clean & comfortable. The breakfast was amazing offering a lovely selection of both traditional & continental, to suit all tastes. We were extreamly satisfied with the whole experience, particularly the comfort & accessability which are an essential for us. We certainly hope to return in the future, many thanks for a wonderful stay.

Thank you for your review.

Good to see that yourself and your husband enjoyed your stay with and glad of course that we could be of help.

Thanks also for your comments reference my staff and in relation to rooms and breakfast.

We hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Best Western-just the name made me expect a quality stay, but it unfortunately some basic matters where missing: clean lobby, clean beds, clean tea pots. The lobby was very dusty with bits a the corners. In the room, the carpet was not properly hoovered...the bed was very small and hard; and had a blood stain. I saw it too late to be able to make any discussions-we had already paid.
The breakfast was horrible. The scambled eggs were a watery mess. Staff was arrogant. The waiter kept touching the inside of the cups when putting them on the table.So he must have touched mine-I could not drink my tea anymore...Sorry, cannot find anything good about this stay....very disappointing.

1 Thank Minna24
Thank you for your review.

Wow that flies in the face of all my other reviews, sounds like this was a disaster and never ever had any of my staff called arrogant.

I am surprised that you never mentioned anything to my Reception team.

I would ask that you contact me on my direct email so that we can examine what went on here:

mark.cotman@yorkhousehotel.co.uk
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay at your hotel for three nights. We were pleasantly surprised to be told on arrival that we had been given an upgrade of a sea view room which was much appreciated. The staff attention to detail and pleasant manner- without exception- made our stay very enjoyable. My wife also enjoyed a swim in your pool on two occasions which was a bonus. The breakfasts were excellent with attention to detail by the staff on duty very special in this day and age. We have no hesitation in highly recommending your hotel.

Thank you for your review.

Glad we had the opportunity to upgrade you on your 'special' occasion and that this was appreciated.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed for two nights over half term as we had a special deal offer. We upgraded last minute to a sea view room, the last they had was on the top floor so the room was smaller than I presume the others may have been but still very well appointed. There was no traffic noise or other disturbances even from the wedding party happening in the hotel.

The location couldn't be more convenient right by the beach and even parking represented no challenges.

The staff were all charming and attentive, the warm indoor pool was a pleasant bonus with plenty of clean towels available.

We ate in the Verandah restaurant on our last evening and were looked after concientiously by Ewa the restaurant manager and the fixed price menu was delicious, of a very high standard and very good value.

Overall, we were delighted with our stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel and return for another trip.

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you appreciated the benefits of our seaview rooms and liked our small but warm indoor pool.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and in particular Ewa and of course your mention of our 'daily' dinner menu.

We look forward to seeing you again when you return.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Hotel and Staff are very nice. We have a beautiful sunny seaview room with a view to the Pier. The room and bathroom were very clean. The staff are very very nice and friendly and even the Breakfast was good. Thanks

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your seaview room and your view of the pier.

We do try to put on a good breakfast and overall most people appreciate the quality ingredients we use.

We hopefully will see you on a return visit at some point.