“excellent 2 night stay”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“excellent 2 night stay”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A lovely 2 nights in this hotel on b+b basis. Quiet room! (310) attractively decorated and great bathroom with walk in shower.
Breakfast was just fine for us and the breakfast was really good, service and staff were excellent.
For a 3 star hotel the York House exceeded expectation.
This was our first visit to Eastbourne. We would certainly consider a return trip and would stay again at York House hotel

Room Tip: If you want quiet the 10's are good. No view, rear facing, we don't have any problems with a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our new rear standard rooms with their big walk in showers.

Thank you also for your mention of my staff and our Breakfasts and hopefully we will see you again soon should you return to Eastbourne for a second visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Thai first
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have just had a very enjoyable 4 night stay at York House it was first time in Eastbourne and the Hotel made our stay great. Staff were friendly and attentive couldn't fault them. Food was very good and good value, hotel well presented and clean we booked a standard double room but were upgraded to an executive double our bed was enormous and comfy, We used the swimming pool daily it was great just what you need after a days sightseeing thanks again York house we really enjoyed our stay.

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to upgrade you to one of our non seaview but larger exec rooms with its larger bed.

Thank you for your comments reference my staff and our food and we hope to see you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

5 times we have stayed here know .Gets better every time. We had 3 rooms 5 people everyone loved it including our little dog. 5 star for all the rooms yet the we're all different though with the dog we would get a lesser room but no we had the best one yet. Other couple loved there's Mr& Mrs Johnstone with our deal we got more than pleased. But Miss M Jones 83 years old came at short notice so had to pay 3 times what we paid but got an executive room for that absolutely loved it. Staff food cleanliness all first class. P.s be back soon.

Room Tip: Heated swimming pool,. Room all good from my five times here. I know the still have 10 rooms to upda...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.

Glad to see you enjoyed another return visit and as you have noted our rooms do vary but overall good to see that your party all enjoyed their different room types.

Thank you also for your comments on my staff and our food and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We used an Amazon voucher for 2 night stay. I had noticed on Tripadvisor that the hotel had given free sea view upgrades to many others with these vouchers so naturally mentioned this when I was asked to pay £50 for the sea view upgrade. Unfortunately I still had to pay with no reason given why some have to pay and some don't.
When checking in we ordered morning newspapers which we never received but were listed on our final bill. I was told that we should have collected these from reception each morning but no one had told us this. We had expected them to be delivered to our room as in most other hotels. It wasn't a great deal of money but the receptionist seemed to expect me to still pay for them! I had to be firm in saying that I would certainly not be paying for newspapers I did not receive. I would have expected the hotel to contact me on the first day that the papers were not collected by us as that was clearly an indication that their newspaper delivery system wasn't working.
Generally we didn't feel all that welcome when we arrived!
Additionally I had rung the hotel earlier for information about parking, and their advice was very off hand and not particularly helpful. We were told to park in a side street or on seafront, but no tips or helpful hints were given and the person sounded bored and uninterested in helping us. There were no caring comments like "there's usually plently of room so don't worry" or "if you have any trouble parking do contact us" or suchlike. The person just sounded like he couldn't care less!
Our room at the hotel was very nice, clean & spacious and did have a fabulous sea view. There was plenty of storage space, tea /coffee facilities, and a "welcome" bag of pears and 2 apple drinks.
Unfortunately the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable and the in-bath shower was awkward to operate and there were no hand rails when you were standing. There were also no curtains at the bathroom window (only nets) which meant no privacy at night when you had to put the light on.
All the windows in the room were painted closed so couldn't be opened. We therefore couldn't let any fresh air in & we did wonder what would happen in the event of a fire.
There was some building work going on in the room above us. Loud banging and drilling woke us up at 8.30am on the first morning, and carried on at various times over the 2 days. It was very noisy & prevented us from spending more time in our room relaxing, enjoying the view, watching tv, snoozing etc. Instead we went out leaving the noise behind.
The hotel has a nice little bar and we were served very well by Theresa who was extremely friendly and helpful. On one of the evenings there was an entertainer which was very enjoyable.
It was disappointing that the hotel didn't provide afternoon tea, we had to go to another hotel for this.
The jewel in the crown at this hotel is the dining service. The staff have got it exactly right, and the food is excellent. We invited some family members for an evening meal and were greeted so warmly by Ewa who was front of house, and all the waiters & servers were exceptionally patient, friendly and helpful the whole time. We were made to feel very welcome and that nothing was too much trouble. We had a wonderful night thanks to these people. I should add that the same level of service was provided at breakfast too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review.

Let me explain the sea view supplement for you as I have mentioned many times on this site - 'If' we have a sea view room empty on your arrival we will always upgrade arrivals so we don't have our best rooms sitting empty (why would you?) if, however, you wish to have a 'guaranteed' sea view then the upgrade charge applies. You can always gamble and ask on arrival but you can also be disappointed. Therefore I guess it is your choice as a consumer as to the route you wish to take.

In relation to newspapers the reason we don't deliver to rooms is as you will have noticed our corridors are narrow and papers end up getting pinched. My front office procedure is to inform guests on arrival of this policy, so thank you for bringing this to my attention, as I clearly need to re visit this and re enforce.

Loud banging and drilling certainly should not have been happening at 8.30 am whilst we continue refurbishing our last few rooms, so it sounds like I will have to also chase a builder or 2 tomorrow but anyway at least that gives me something to look forward to tomorrow morning!

I am glad you did like certain elements and thank you for specifically pointing out Theresa and my Restaurant staff.

If you do wish to re visit us again always feel free to drop me a line.
kent, UK
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We only had a short stay, using Travel Zoo vouchers, but in was enough to appreciate that this was a very efficiently run hotel. The location was just across the road from the beach and only
a few minutes walk to the pier. All the staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast selection
was very comprehensive, dinner was well cooked and presented and the indoor pool was vey warm.

Overall, the hotel felt comfortable, and we look forward to a return visit.

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for mentioning my staff and our food offerings.

We do run our pool at 30 degrees plus as we do have a couple of sessions a week when we have 'baby' lessons but us adults also enjoy the temperature too.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

From start to finish, our weekend and special occasion was fabulous and the Hotel staff could not have done more for us. They even provided shaving kit for my other half who had forgotten to bring his free of charge. Our room was facing the sea and had a four poster bed. We enjoyed breakfast thoroughly and the waiter even offered to make our toast for us. I will definitely return to this Hotel-thankyou.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for upgrade to room 124
Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us in 1 of our contemporary sea view rooms.

We do provide those little extras free of charge should you forget them and glad we could help.

Thank you for mentioning my staff also much appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again.
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We were lucky enough to visit this wonderful seafront hotel with a voucher which made it extra value.
It's in the best location, right on the sea front & only a few minutes walk to numerous restauarants & pubs.
Once you park here you will not need your car again.
TIP: try & park in a nearby side street, its safe/ residential & FREE. We were parked only 200m from the hotel.
The staff were effecient & friendly.
It's worth paying any extra for a sea view, it really is spectacular & no doubt the main reason you are visiting this pretty seaside town.
The sun shines on the front of the hotel all morning, to wake up with a beautiful sea view in full sun makes it all the more special (for us it was on the summer solstice).
For the light sleepers fear not - the blackout type curtains keep out ALL the light :)
The breakfast is self service but you are not lacking in anything & the numerous on hand waiters are only to willing to help you out.
We were SO full from breakfast we didn't eat till evening.
We didn't eat in the restaurant for dinner so I can't comment on that part.
Our room (on the 3rd floor) looked like it had recently been refurbished. The bathroom was clean & well stocked. The main room had a hairdryer & tea making facilities.
We had a peacefuly located room (344) & went to sleep listening to the sound of the waves washing up on the stoney beach (very relaxing) *sigh*
If we were lucky enough to re visit Eastbourne, we would defintely check out this hotel first.
We didn't visit the pool so can't comment on that either - just didnt have time.

Room Tip: A sea view room is well worth it. If you are choosing a seafront hotel, then choose a sea facing roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a pleasant break with us and as you quite rightly say you had one of our new refurbed sea view rooms.

Thank you for your comments on my staff and our breakfast and we look forward to you checking us out the next time you visit.