“Well Done”

Best Western York House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I (sound like the royal 'we') spent a lovely afternoon here using an offer given to my husband as a birthday gift by our daughters to enjoy the Eastbourne Air show. We were not disappointed. We had comfy seats on the veranda with a great view of the sea front. We were under cover should it have been too hot from the sun or we stayed dry when it rained. Music accompanied us while we had drinks (hot/cold or alcoholic). A fabulous buffet lunch was severed in the dinning room at 12noon and the best cream tea ever was served at 4pm. All staff were very friendly, attentive, polite and helpful.
If this is what they lay on for a special event I can only assume that the standard throughout the rest of the hotel must be equally as good. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

Great to see you visiting us for the 4 day Airbourne Show and thank you for your comments regarding our inclusive Buffet Lunch and afternoon tea (chef at the moment doesn't want to see another scone for a while having gone through 1,100 over 4 days!)

Hopefully we will see you again next year.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Very happy with our room with a sea-front view. The room seemed quite recently refurbed. It was clean, a good size, great view and nice new bathroom.
We didn't eat at the hotel but the check-in service was courteous and efficient, and the gent who was manning the reception overnight was very helpful when I was feeling a bit ill. Overall, a very pleasant stay. Would definitely choose this hotel again. Thank you Best Western

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Elmobaggins
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see you had a good stay with us recently.

Thank you for mentioning my staff and our great new seaview rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Using an Amazon voucher we enjoyed our stay at this hotel very much.On the advice of people on Trip Advisor we up graded our room to a sea view room which was wonderful,it certainly had been refurbished and we had so much space with an enormous king size bed.
Just a little memo to the management the room could do with a small table by the sofa to put drinks and cups on.
We had no problem with the traffic noise,opened the window at night and closed it in the morning .easy!
The staff were all very helpful and dealt with our request for extra towels,pillows and an ice bucket within five minutes of us been in the room,very impressive.

Also another note to the management as we were leaving on Thursday 14th August we noticed that the reception staff kept a very cool head whilst dealing with an extremely rude guest,well done.
The breakfast was to me adequate, more fresh fruit and hard boiled eggs would of been great(but I do not eat a fry up) but top marks for the fresh juices and the tea

The hotel is an easy walk into town although the cabs are in abundant and very cheap.
We will keep are eyes open for any more offers with this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated your upgrade to seaview.

Note to management noted - thank you

Thank you also for mentioning my staff, in particular Reception and as you say they do have cool heads.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and the offers are on our website already for September and other deals are just about to go live too.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Using an Amazon voucher we enjoyed an excellent stay - generally speaking. Our room was compact but had all we needed for a couple of nights and was clean and attractive. A couple of faults with the bathroom were a) the fan not working (I begin to wonder if they ever do!) which is always inconvenient in a shared bathroom, and b) the shower head had been chosen with a jet system that sprayed water as generously behind as in front of itself - with the result that the splash back onto the wall inevitably cascaded onto the floor no matter what you did with the shower curtain. Result was a bit dangerous I thought.

However - the real problem was the pigeons! Our room was at the back of the hotel - fair enough; somebody has to be - but pigeons had taken up roosting on a window sill next to ours and their noise, and the mess across our window associated with their coming and going was appalling. The room was TOO compact to have kept the window shut so we could not avoid the disturbance. We were told by someone on duty at the desk that the problem was insuperable but I beg to differ. If a couple of thousand birds can be driven out of Trafalgar Square I would think it not beyond the wit of man to get rid of two! They had clearly been in residence a long time and had torn out the grill once installed to keep them at bay.

We asked about a room change but, alas for us, the hotel was fully booked.

I must emphasise that the staff were all delightful, very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts included an ample range of choice and plenty of everything. I saw the pool but didn't use it, having failed to bring a costume but what a beautiful asset that is. Next time I shall come prepared!

Room Tip: If there is an option I wouldn't choose a room at the back.

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that overall you had a pleasant stay with us and I will track down your room and look at the shower and fan and rectify so thank you for bringing to my attention.

Pigeons - we do on the odd occasion get an occasional problem but the chef will be delighted as they are currently on the A la carte menu - so we will sort out a licensed cull in the near future.

Thank you for mentioning my staff and our breakfasts and as it looks like we might be seeing you again soon please feel free to drop me a personal line and I will handle the reservation for you.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Have not stayed in a Best Western for 15 years always use aPremier Inn or most of the other chain of hotels The location was was very good plus the parking voucher 1£ all day from the reception The room and the food were excellent but the staff could not do Anough to make it a pleasant and enjoyable stay. When considering my next break i will also look to stay at a Best Western hotel

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see that we might have a convert from Premier Inn and that you had a good stay with us.

Thank you for mentioning my staff, our rooms and our food.

We look forward to seeing you again before PI soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here on13th/14th August, and felt it was one of the best hotels we had stayed in. The room was excellent, with a sea view, it was very clean, comfortable beds, and the service form all the staff was first class and so helpful and friendly. Breakfast and dinner could not be better, and the service here again was faultless, the lady greeting you and finding a table for you each time we used it could not have been more friendly and helpful, nothing seems to be too much trouble. The waiters again were so polite friendly and helpful. I would certainly use tthis hotel again if staying in Eastbourne and have no hesitation in recommending it to friends.

Room Tip: sea view roooms are excellent
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a good stay with us in one of our seaview rooms.

Thank you for mentioning my staff and in particular Ewa, my Restaurant Manager and also our food.

We hope to see you again soon the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We booked this hotel with an Amazon voucher for a three night stay. The staff were very friendly, the room was clean and well decorated, the breakfast good with locally sourced ingredients. Overall we had a good time and would stay again when down that way.

1  Thank JLizzieH

Thank you for your review.

Good to see that overall you had a great stay with us recently.

Thank you for mentioning my staff and our breakfasts and am pleased you noticed the 'local' products.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are our way.