“Not bad”

Best Western York House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Parking was very bad as the air show was on, did not like the evening meal very expensive and my steak was all gristle as the waitress could see, and still charged me for it, until I said I thought you would have taken it off the bill, then charged me half which I thought was not very professional , but the hotel was good and clean ,

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Rina60
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

Shame that you didn't like your steak from one of our local farms, Bullock Farm.

Our 3 course menu is priced at £20 which most people seem to think is good value. especially since it is locally and ethically sourced, but I respect your opinion.

'The waitress' you mention was the Restaurant Manager and she did not charge you for the steak supplement which is specifically what you requested so on that subject I can't agree with you as she is the most courteous professional person you are likely to meet and is in fact out of our current 813 reviews she is the most positively mentioned member of staff on here.

Sorry again for your thoughts on that.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Took 87 year old mother for 2 nights B & B using a wowcher voucher and upgrading to a sea view room. Fabulous sea views. Left window open at night and fell asleep to the sound of the waves. Excellent room; clean, spacious and well-equipped. Staff were exceptionally welcoming and helpful. Breakfast provided plenty of choice. We also had the set menu dinner one evening. The food was good and reasonably priced and, again, the staff were most attentive. Would definitely recommend this hotel, particularly as it was also well situated for the beach and good promenade walks.

Room Tip: Sea view room was very large
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the sound of the waves.

Thank you for mentioning my staff and our food and we look forward to seeing you again when you venture down this way.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a very pleasant 3 day stay. The room was small but clean and well appointed. The only slight difficulty was navigating the small space between bathroom door and the toilet in the middle of the night :). Free WiFi was an excellent bonus. The staff were very welcoming and helpful in the dining room, which was really our only contact during our stay. The location is great, and we were lucky with finding on road parking. The Airbourne show was on this week and the hotel proved an excellent base for that. Restaurants and shops are near. We alway feel that Best Western hotels offer a standard, high service and we'd visit again.

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see you had a good stay with us and thank you for the mention of my staff.

Glad you enjoyed the bonus of Airbourne and we look forward to seeing you when you return.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I (sound like the royal 'we') spent a lovely afternoon here using an offer given to my husband as a birthday gift by our daughters to enjoy the Eastbourne Air show. We were not disappointed. We had comfy seats on the veranda with a great view of the sea front. We were under cover should it have been too hot from the sun or we stayed dry when it rained. Music accompanied us while we had drinks (hot/cold or alcoholic). A fabulous buffet lunch was severed in the dinning room at 12noon and the best cream tea ever was served at 4pm. All staff were very friendly, attentive, polite and helpful.
If this is what they lay on for a special event I can only assume that the standard throughout the rest of the hotel must be equally as good. Thank you.

Thank you for your review.

Great to see you visiting us for the 4 day Airbourne Show and thank you for your comments regarding our inclusive Buffet Lunch and afternoon tea (chef at the moment doesn't want to see another scone for a while having gone through 1,100 over 4 days!)

Hopefully we will see you again next year.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Very happy with our room with a sea-front view. The room seemed quite recently refurbed. It was clean, a good size, great view and nice new bathroom.
We didn't eat at the hotel but the check-in service was courteous and efficient, and the gent who was manning the reception overnight was very helpful when I was feeling a bit ill. Overall, a very pleasant stay. Would definitely choose this hotel again. Thank you Best Western

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Elmobaggins
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to see you had a good stay with us recently.

Thank you for mentioning my staff and our great new seaview rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Using an Amazon voucher we enjoyed our stay at this hotel very much.On the advice of people on Trip Advisor we up graded our room to a sea view room which was wonderful,it certainly had been refurbished and we had so much space with an enormous king size bed.
Just a little memo to the management the room could do with a small table by the sofa to put drinks and cups on.
We had no problem with the traffic noise,opened the window at night and closed it in the morning .easy!
The staff were all very helpful and dealt with our request for extra towels,pillows and an ice bucket within five minutes of us been in the room,very impressive.

Also another note to the management as we were leaving on Thursday 14th August we noticed that the reception staff kept a very cool head whilst dealing with an extremely rude guest,well done.
The breakfast was to me adequate, more fresh fruit and hard boiled eggs would of been great(but I do not eat a fry up) but top marks for the fresh juices and the tea

The hotel is an easy walk into town although the cabs are in abundant and very cheap.
We will keep are eyes open for any more offers with this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Best Western York House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated your upgrade to seaview.

Note to management noted - thank you

Thank you also for mentioning my staff, in particular Reception and as you say they do have cool heads.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and the offers are on our website already for September and other deals are just about to go live too.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Using an Amazon voucher we enjoyed an excellent stay - generally speaking. Our room was compact but had all we needed for a couple of nights and was clean and attractive. A couple of faults with the bathroom were a) the fan not working (I begin to wonder if they ever do!) which is always inconvenient in a shared bathroom, and b) the shower head had been chosen with a jet system that sprayed water as generously behind as in front of itself - with the result that the splash back onto the wall inevitably cascaded onto the floor no matter what you did with the shower curtain. Result was a bit dangerous I thought.

However - the real problem was the pigeons! Our room was at the back of the hotel - fair enough; somebody has to be - but pigeons had taken up roosting on a window sill next to ours and their noise, and the mess across our window associated with their coming and going was appalling. The room was TOO compact to have kept the window shut so we could not avoid the disturbance. We were told by someone on duty at the desk that the problem was insuperable but I beg to differ. If a couple of thousand birds can be driven out of Trafalgar Square I would think it not beyond the wit of man to get rid of two! They had clearly been in residence a long time and had torn out the grill once installed to keep them at bay.

We asked about a room change but, alas for us, the hotel was fully booked.

I must emphasise that the staff were all delightful, very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts included an ample range of choice and plenty of everything. I saw the pool but didn't use it, having failed to bring a costume but what a beautiful asset that is. Next time I shall come prepared!

Room Tip: If there is an option I wouldn't choose a room at the back.

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that overall you had a pleasant stay with us and I will track down your room and look at the shower and fan and rectify so thank you for bringing to my attention.

Pigeons - we do on the odd occasion get an occasional problem but the chef will be delighted as they are currently on the A la carte menu - so we will sort out a licensed cull in the near future.

Thank you for mentioning my staff and our breakfasts and as it looks like we might be seeing you again soon please feel free to drop me a personal line and I will handle the reservation for you.