“Enjoyable relaxing stay”

Best Western Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Very nice family run hotel with some of the best customer service we have seen in a long time. The set menu was great and served promptly , and a good buffet breakfast too. In a nutshell 3 star hotel with 5 star customer service, within 30 sec walk of the beach.

Room Tip: If you the means to book a sea view room it's recommended.
1  Thank Andy K
Catherine C, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

What a lovely review - thank you! A joy to hear that you find our customer service 5 star! We are very lucky to have such a great team working for us and I will pass on your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards, Catherine Clifford - Sales & Marketing Executive.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have stayed here before an expect old fashioned rooms expected of a seaside hotel on the esplanade.
On this occasion the room, which I had stayed in before, has not beenj cleaned adequately. Dust on all surfaces, the tea tray not been removed and stuck to chest. Chairs had food and other matter on them and carpet obviously not cleaned for some time. At least the bathroom was cleaned. Bottom sheet on bed would appear not to have been replaced after previous occupants. Even a previous poor review had been left for me to see
I did contact hotel but never received a reply
May stay their again but will have to accept good location and bring my own sheets

Room Tip: Do not choose a room at back as very hot in warm weather
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

I am sorry to read that you did not find your room's cleanliness to your satisfaction and I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper on the points that you have raised. The carpets in the bedrooms are hovered after each guest and properly shampooed every 6 months and inbetween if needed. As far as the bed sheet - they are always changed. Happy to hear that you like the location and when you next book, please contact me personally at the hotel and perhaps can talk further on these matters. Kind regards, Catherine Clifford - Sales & Marketing Executive

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had nothing booked just walked in the receptionist was very helpful and pleasant booked bb seaview room room lovely breakfast was great bar area was good thank you to all the staff for a very lovely stay

Room Tip: Seaview rooms have a superb view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Catherine C, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your review. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Catherine Clifford - Sales & Marketing Executive.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Lansdowne Hotel was recommended to me by a friend who had recently stayed there. As a single traveller I usually have to pay nearly double the "per person" rate for single occupancy of a double room, so I was pleased to find that the Lansdowne has some single rooms. I would normally have had to pay about the same to stay in a budget hotel, so when you factor in the seafront location, breakfast, and proper hotel facilities I felt it was excellent value. The room had everything I needed, and the staff were friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you feel we offer fantastic value for money and that our staff were friendly and helpful. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards, Catherine Clifford - Sales & Marketing Executive.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

How does one say enough about a grand hotel such as this? Originally three separate town houses, it stretches some two thirds of a block along King Edward’s Parade, a heroic stone’s throw from the English Channel. The entire entry floor (the ground floor) is devoted to the Devonshire Restaurant, a cozy bar/lounge, and five or six very comfortable sitting rooms, all harking back to the days when guest rooms were for bathing /resting and the lush lobbies for reading, card playing and sipping tea. Everywhere, the walls are decorated with gilt-framed original paintings by a well respected local artist, and the window treatments under deep cornices are museum quality. A feature which we would enjoy if we lived there is their weekly tea dance from 1400 to 1630 for five pounds (including a cup of tea).

There are two separate elevators, installed somehow, which will accommodate probably two persons lugging baggage, or five or six individuals unencumbered. How they got those into a building probably a hundred years old at the time is a mystery to us. We eventually surmised that perhaps the shafts were already there for dumbwaiters. Surprisingly, despite the building’s age, the public space restrooms were fitted with motion detecting light switches which worked perfectly.

Our room was smallish but adequate, fitted with a satellite fed flat screen TV, coffee maker, or, if you prefer, it will heat water for making any of the premium teas provided. The bedding was superior and both of us slept very well.

The staff appear genuinely interested in your enjoyment of your stay and are invariably polite, cheerful, and attentive. A query about dinner venues, attractions etc. brings forth from under the counter, an exceptionally well drawn map and sound, accurate information. Any favor is granted quickly and gladly. Since the computer for guest use in one of the sitting rooms has no printer installed, I asked the reception lady whether she might check us in on our flight back home and print our boarding passes. Done. One morning I awoke early and went out to catch the morning sea breeze. I had a cigarette, then got a hankering for coffee. The night porter was still on duty and I asked him whether there was any coffee available, since I didn’t want to wake Mrs Too. “Of course, sir”, I heard. In just a few minutes he returned with a tray bearing cup, saucer, spoon, coffee ewer, milk, sugar, and a small biscuit, careful to point out that, of course, there would be no charge for that.

All in all, a delightful stay. Obviously, in a converted hotel of that vintage, there are nits to pick for those so inclined, but if you are of the sort to keep the sunny side up, you will enjoy this property immensely and leave with fond memories.

Room Tip: If you wish, you may request a sea view room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the great review that you have put on Trip Advisor. It is so good to hear all the lovely comments that you have made about us - from our staff and facilities through to the food and the service offered. We have been in the same family ownership for 102 years now, so it is good to hear that we still continue to provide a great customer experience. I shall be letting the staff know what a fine job they are doing!! Kind regards, Catherine Clifford - Sales & Marketing Executive.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Paying £100 a night for a double room, I was expecting something really nice. The room was at the back of the hotel with a view onto a Car Park. There was zero ventilation in the Room and it was stifling hot even with both the room and bathroom windows wide open. The beds have Blankets !!! This is the 21st Century - A thin Summer Duvet is needed !! The hotel seems to be mainly used by the very elderly and everything moves at a very pedestrian pace. The wifi is not worth bothering with as the connection is terrible when you can get a connection. The Breakfast has to be the worst I have ever had a hotel. Fried eggs like Rubber with solid yolks - and they were straight from the kitchen after a 30 minute Wait ! Bacon bathing in a bath of cooking oil, burnt hash browns and cold baked beans, The grilled tomatoes had sat there so long they were dried out (This was at 9am). They are overcharging in my opinion. I would rate this hotel as £60 a night for a non sea view room max.

Hotel is in need of a serious makeover and investment to bring it up to date. I notice there didn't appear to be any sort of sprinkler system either and with it being full of narrow winding staircases and narrow corridors with a tiny lift at each end, I dread to think what would happen if there were a fire !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Catherine C, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Lansdowne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

I was sorry to read that you were so disappointed in your stay with us. Our prices are structured on the time of year it is and our back rooms don't have as spectacular a view as our seaview facing ones which of course you pay a premium for. We will be moving to duvets in the next couple of years - I agree it is something that needs to happen. I am surprised that you were not happy with you breakfast - this is an area that we normally have alot of very positive comments on but I am sorry that your experience was not good and I will look into this in the light of the comments you have made. As far as the look of the hotel, yes we are traditional, we don't try to be a contemporary hotel, but we feel we are very well maintained with lovely public rooms and restaurant of which many people comment on - the style of the hotel is not for everyone. As for the Wifi, we are currently in the process of upgrading it and Im sorry that you experienced difficulties. Kind regards, Catherine Clifford - Sales & Marketing Executive.

Reviewed 22 July 2014