Oban
Palm Court Hotel(Eastbourne)
Hadleigh Hotel(Eastbourne)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewssea viewvegetarian sausagesone night stayfriendly hotellovely breakfastan enjoyable stayensuite bathroomfeel very welcomefantastic locationenglish breakfastsea frontfull englishexcellent value for moneybooked this hotelsingle roomwarm welcometown centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Me and my friend stayed at The Oban for the christmas period, looking forward to a lovely,jolly four night stay here with a real Christmas atmosphere!!!! How very DISAPPOINTING! I Have complained numerous times without any apology's! Where do i start?? The dining room was gloomy and more like a cafe setting which i didnt expect for the CHRISTMAS period! Breakfast was ok except for the fruit cocktail which came out of a tin, HOW AWFUL!!! Not to mention how rushed we felt at every meal time. The young staff worked hard and were friendly. The atmosphere in the evening was awful, we really thought the entertainment was naff apart from ONE night. I can easily say it was the worst Christmas i've ever had.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Customerservices_obn, General Manager at Oban, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

You wrote in a letter to the travel company which we responded to in full.
Despite the fact there was no wrongdoing on our behalf we nevertheless provided you with a very generous offer of accommodation for a later date.

From our records we noted that from the moment you arrived you were distinctly unhappy and immediately mentioned to our staff and travel courier that you wanted money back from the price you paid for the holiday.

We offered to upgrade you free of charge to double rooms with better facilities but despite this you declined our offer without even looking at the rooms. The facilities, service and general Christmas atmosphere was enjoyed by all, who we might add, also paid the same price as you and were accommodated with the same facilities. Your letter to the travel company merely summed up the fact you were just after ‘compensation’ and saw Christmas as an opportunity to make your claim.

As you will know from the customers you may have spoken to, a number of them are repeat guests who visit us not only for Christmas but throughout the year.

Had we received any genuine complaints we would naturally have been concerned, however given that we received a number of genuinely appreciative comments in addition to bookings for next Christmas, we struggled to uphold your complaint

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Wife and I arrived after 11pm and we're met by a sprightly young lady who checked us in, served us drinks and even helped with out luggage.
Room was fresh clean and welcoming.
Breakfast- Hot and delicious. Location - spot on, near town centre and directly on the seafront. If you're wanting a small comfy hotel that exudes personal service you won't go wrong. Good to see youngsters enthusiastic about their work.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Tony,
We are glad that your exepereice with us was to your liking and that we impressed you enough to share your views. We take pride in offering a persoanl service and often it's this key element that guests visit us for. Thank you again for your time in writing your review and we hope you will visit us again

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 May 2013

My wife and I recently stayed stay at the Oban Hotel Eastbourne. It was a four-night trip organised by Bakers Dolphin and was a coach tour, in that not only did the company take you there and bring you back, but took us on small tours to local places of interest. The coach passengers were greeted on arrival by a cheerful manager and we were given our room keys inside the hotel. The lounge, which we passed through, struck us as comfortable and was adjacent to the bar. The lift carries only two people and it was only when it was half way up to the third floor that I realised that it had no inner door. It was a good thing I did not lean against the it, I was tired after a long journey and could easily have done so. I have always had a dread of my hand or arm being caught in the lift shaft and watching helplessly as my arm was torn out at is socket before the lift could be stopped – if indeed one’s companion would have the presence of mind to find the red button to do so. I am surprised that the Fire Officer or indeed the Insurance Inspector passed an item like that. Another thing I might mention was the fact that the hotel’s front door is locked overnight and to open it one must push a bell push and pull the door towards you. I can imagine panicking guests in the middle of the night trying to find the means to open the door and even if they found it in the dark the crush of people behind them trying to get out would prevent the door opening.

However, perhaps I am being alarmist and my time as a hotel proprietor has made me sensitive to these risks. Anyway, we entered our bedroom and were delighted to find it was immaculate and the beds comfortable. We also had a stunning view of the sea and the little park below. The lighting was good and the main light was even bright enough to read by, which is a good point missed by some hotels these days. Unfortunately the bathroom was disappointing. It was so small that the basin was relegated to the bedroom, but not taking any towels rails with it. The bathroom heating was by the electric towel rail. Regrettably when the light was switched on an extractor fan came on and removed any warm air that was in the bathroom. After a hot shower I felt distinctly chilled.

Now the shower: my criteria for showers are the comparisons between the one in Livermead House Hotel in Torquay to which I give top marks and the pathetic one in a hotel in Dartmouth which has bottom marks as it was impossible to use as it was attached to the bath taps by rubber hoses. These flew off as soon as the water was turned on! In the one at the Oban I must give lower than average marks: the hot and cold indications were ambiguous and I spent time trying to get hot water from the cold side. When I got matters right I carefully adjusted the water to the correct temperature and opened the folding door only for it to hit the control valve and knock my carefully adjusted settings for six.

The food at dinner was good and hot and served by young and helpful waitresses. Their skill at serving the food efficiently and without delay was, no doubt, matched by an equally professional kitchen staff. At breakfast the choices were as wide as English breakfasts can be.

Altogether it was a pleasant 30-bedroom hotel with helpful and cheerful staff. Would I go there again? Yes, especially if the cost was discounted, as was in our case.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time for placing your review which may arguably be the longest we’ve ever received.

We are always delighted to accommodate guests that have booked through Bakers Dolphin as number of them return year after year, if not within the same year. So it’s good to hear that you would also have no hesitation in visiting us again.

As you can imagine a Victorain building such as ours was built at a time when elevators were yet to be invented; our lift was therefore retro fitted. It is maintained and serviced regularly and has safety guards around the door preventing anyone interfering with it when its travelling from floor to floor. The safety guards stop the lift preventing any accidents from occurring. Just so that you are aware the lift has also been inspected by our insurers and is fit for purpose.

Our staff are indeed very good at what they do and often receive praise for their efficiency and manner in which they go about their duty. Nevertheless It’s always nice to hear that guests do recognise this.

Our front is locked at night as are many other hotels. This is for your security and safety. In the event of a fire the alarms sounders are activated automatically and the doors are opened.

We provide all guests with 2 keys, one for their room the other for the front door which operates the maglock enabling the door to be opened/closed

Whilst we sincerely appreciate the many comments you have made we hope we have put to rest any anxieties you may have had and trust you will visit us again when we will look to provide you with the same level of hospitality as you enjoyed previously

Reviewed 10 May 2013

This is the 5th year we have stayed at the Oban Hotel for the May Bank holiday Bible by the Beach Christian convention. Why have we kept on coming back? Right from when we asked about the possibility of a group booking we were made so welcome by Vin and every time since he has been so helpful to our organisers. We've come from a number of different churches and enjoy being together and the welcome we all receive. When families have come with small children every care was taken to meet their needs.

The situation is brilliant - on the seafront and just 300 yards from the Congress Theatre. On a number of occasions the Classic Cars rally has parked on the rise just opposite the hotel and the French Market is just yards down the front. What more could you want? The weather this year was superb (a bonus!) and sitting out on the terrace in front of the hotel enjoying a glass of wine with friends was delightful.

Every year year we've come we've noticed upgrades to the facilities. This is a hotel that is really tries to improve each year. This year my wife and I had a beautiful sea-view room. The double bed was huge and very comfortable and we stayed an extra night after the convention to continue to relax and spend time with Vin and the staff whom we consider real friends. Georgi on reception is always smiling and the rooms are spotlessly cleaned and coffee/tea making facilities always checked daily.

Quite a number of the convention attendees had asked for a mid day meal to make evening attendances easier and Vin very kindly accommodated our needs in this way.

We have always been given great value for money and a very warm welcome. We would definitely recommend this hotel to others - whether coming as individuals or groups. We love this hotel!

Nic and Kathryn Deane

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Nick,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time in placing your review.

We are certainly pleased that so many of you come back year after year and accept this as an indirect compliment. All our staff are very proud to be part of the hotel and I believe they genuinely demonstrate this when performing their day to duties.

I know that many of the other conference attendees also enjoyed this year’s event with nearly all booking up with ourselves for next year’s event.

We do hope you will keep in contact and on a personal note ….Wednesday turned out just fine, I’m exceptionally grateful for your support.

Please say hi to Kath and anyone else you may speak to that joined us this year.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 3 May 2013

I took a party of 36 walkers to this hotel on a bed, breakfast and evening meal basis. We were made very welcome by Vin, the manager, and all the staff were most attentive at all times. We really enjoyed our stay here. The food was plentiful and served most efficiently by very pleasant and cheerful staff. This hotel offered us excellent value for money and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to other walking groups. It is ideally located on the front and within walking distance of The Seven Sisters and the South Downs Way. Vin was very helpful, offering to organise entertainment for two of the evenings when we were there.
We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Oban and were very impressed with Eastbourne and the surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: A sea view room is best. We stayed in number 13 which was excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Customerservices_obn, General Manager at Oban, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2013

Dear Helen,

Thank you for taking the time in placing your review
It is exceptionally satisfying to know that we pleased so many of you

It’s our staff who are the real assets of our hotel. They are dedicated loyal and take pride in delivering a first class service which is consistent. Our guests often pass comment on their hard work and dedication. To be publicly recognised always brings a smile to their face not to mention encouragement.

We are delighted that you have recommended us so highly and thank you kindly for your praises.

We hope you will visit us again in the future and please pass on our thanks to the rest of the group