“Make sure you book”

Ranked #70 of 405 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Price range: US$11 - US$38
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fine Indian cuisine , -Dining -Takeaway service -Free home delivery -Exclusive menu -Sunday ala carte menu £9.95 P/h
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Make sure you book”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I had gone away for the weekend and decided to go back to the Shimla as for the past three times we have stayed at Eastbourne we have eaten at this restaurant. The food is always good and usually you are not rushed. We arrived at 6.30pm and asked if there was a table free. We said we had not booked. We did not know the number for a start or the name as not locals and just remember where we found the restaurant the first time. We was told that sorry but there was not a free table. We were going to be fine with that but then the man behind the bar said something to this other waiter and he said oh no its ok you can use this table. From then on we felt completely rushed. We ordered 4 popadums (2 each) which we usually have as a starter. We was half way through this when the waiter came up and said "your food is ready"! We were so surprised we just said ok but carried on with the popadums. We have never in our years of frequenting Indian restaurants been hurried along to finish a course. We were dumb struck to be honest. The plates were cleared and immediately the main course was bought out. The food was good as usual but felt like we were being watched to make sure we did not take too long as it was quite obvious by then that the table was going to be needed soon. They had removed the reserved sign when we arrived. The plates were cleared and the desert menu was given. We did not want desert or coffee by that stage as we had been there for less than an hour and had finished the meal already so just paid and left.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Melanie M

London, United Kingdom
“Good Dinner”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

All tables were reserved on that day...So we did take away for our family.... It was a decent food... They gave us Coke as compliment for the take away.... It was near to east beach hotel... so we preferred having dinner here....

Visited July 2014
Norfolk
“Could do with air con!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I arrived to eat on Monday (14th) in the evening. There was only one other table occupied. There were two tables reserved. When we went in we were seated at the back of the restaurant in the corner, we were given a menu and left to look at it. A few moments later the waiter arrived and took our drinks order and asked if we required poppadoms. we ordered our drinks and poppadoms.
When the waiter came to take our food order I asked for a glass of cold water as it was unbearably hot in the restaurant, Our starters arrived and I again asked for a glass of cold water. After we had eaten our starters the plates were cleared and we waited a very long time for our mains. (Still no water) By the time the food arrived I was feeling quite faint with the heat. I asked again for a glass of water. There were other people in the restaurant complaining about the heat. I eventually got my drink and my food. The food was superb and my husband thoroughly enjoyed his Dum Shank Biriyani. My food was very tasty but I was so hot that I struggled to eat it and I had only ordered a passander!
I would say the restaurant is well worth a visit but I suggest you go on a cool evening.

• Visited July 2014
Shimla911, Manager at Shimla Palace Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
We thank you for the visit to shimla
First of all we sincerely apologise for the discomfort of heat due to a good weather it's a small place with a large glass window and the sun shines direct on it and heats up the place quick ,
We are working on to expand the restaurant and re-design to a bigger place hope to happen as soon as we get the property next door,
Please we know sometime customers have to wait for their food longer than expected this is due to the exclusive dishes takes time to prepare to chefs satisfaction ,
Certainly your dumshank biryani is a dish which is cook slowly in the oven,
Therefor we appreciate your patience while your food is cooked to a perfection,
Good things comes to those who waits,
As they say!!!!

Kash
Manager
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Nice enough food, but don't go on a Saturday night.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I guess if you're expecting a quick curry on a Saturday night, you're probably going to be disappointed. It was already super busy downstairs at 7.15pm and we were shown upstairs onto what's essentially a landing with four or five tables crammed onto it. I felt bad at listening to our two neighbours' conversations simultaneously, we were sat that close to them (and both groups were considerably drunker than us).
The staff didn't seem particularly pleased to have us there, what with our wanting to sit down and order food and stuff like that... The food took quite a while to arrive (two biryanis and another dish). It was good enough, not a patch on a Midlands curry, but unfortunately my enduring memory is of a very awkward, cramped and slightly unsatisfactory dinner.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Joybot
Shimla911, Manager at Shimla Palace Restaurant, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your review on that evenings experience with SHIMLA .
First of all the restaurant is a small and limited space
When we are full we understand that all customers feel abit discomfort with close to each other therefore we apologies for any disappointment on the atmosphere,
Please note we have a exclusive dishes which some dishes do take time to cook to the chefs satisfaction therefore your patience is appreciated. And we try to serve the best as possible so please be with us and give us the challenge to fulfil your taste buds and your health in mind,

Manager
London
“Delicious and reasonable price”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Authentic lndian food. I got a 10% discount as a first time costumer on a takeaway. I will go back again

Visited June 2014