“Great friendly pub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Dropped in a bit late for Sunday lunch expecting there to be no food. As it turned out there was plenty - and we ate most of it! We chose four starters - hummus, pork pie, pate and a potato/guacamole dish. The portions were ENORMOUS as well as being fresh and beautifully garnished. The local beer was tasty and the service was top notch from a young, chatty team - and a parrot (non-speaking role only). Local eggs and honey were on sale and the place has a friendly atmosphere - a perfect, and slightly quirky, local that I would love to have on my own doorstep

2  Thank Diptych

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We visited this lovely pub for a Fathers day lunch. We had checked trip advisor for recommended places to eat while we were in the area and decide upon The Rose Cottage Inn, I'm glad we did because it's a superb and quirky place that you feel welcome in as soon as you step through the door. There's all sorts of paraphernalia all over the walls (old comic strips, foreign money from many countries etc.). We had reserved a table but it wasn't too busy at the time we arrived (12:00). There is a parrot that lives next to the bar and the kids loved that but were warned that he likes to nibble little fingers! The staff were great and very attentive, the food was well cooked and nicely presented, the kids portion would suit a medium adult!

The only downside for me (which isn't really a downside) was that the ceilings are VERY low but I'm 6'4" and this place was built in the 17th Century!

It was all round lovely experience and we'd definitely visit again if we're nearby.

1  Thank Rhubarb-Monkey
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I had eaten here on my visit to the area last year and decided to take my partner on Saturday evening. However, when I tried to ring to make a reservation the telephone was constantly engaged for over 2 hours! We, therefore, decided to call in on the off chance of getting a table.

On informing the quirky landlord that he may have a problem with his phone I was told that he takes it off the hook after 3pm and if had rung before that he would have told me they were fully booked! After deciding to eat in the bar area, where there was a spare table, he managed to find us a table for two in the restaurant area.

For starters we had whitebait with some salad leaves and char grilled asparagus with rocket, sun-blushed tomatoes and parmesan shavings. Although they were very tasty I thought there could have been a little more asparagus and felt they were a bit pricey at £6.50 each.

For mains we both ordered Rib eye steaks and although they were again tasty they didn't look like Rib Eye and were more like Rump steak. I should have queried this at the time but didn't.

Although the landlord is 'quirky' the staff were very friendly and it hasn't put me off going again on our next visit to the area.

1  Thank Squiddley
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Me and my girlfriend were in Eastbourne for short break and struggled to come to a decision on where to eat, we finally chose The rose cottage inn and from the moment we parked the car we were expecting great things. We wanted a romantic evening and we got great local sourced produce turned into tasty courses followed with freindly staff and great decor! Just make sure you save room for pudding as the bannoffee pie is out of this world.

1  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Jug of pimms and fresh plaice cooked perfectly what more can you ask for? Always very good and a laugh when the parrot acts up,