“Cheap but you get what you pay for”

The Lodge Hotel at David Lloyd
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eastbourne
The Lodge Hotel at David Lloyd
Ranked #64 of 77 Eastbourne B&B and Inns
Lewes, England, United Kingdom
“Cheap but you get what you pay for”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Having stayed here a couple of years ago I knew more or less what I was getting for my money, but it looks like they have made no effort to update the rooms at all. It was reasonably clean but there were tiny single beds with sheets and blankets, no duvets. The bedspreads were so old fashioned it felt like I had gone back in time by 20 years. The room was musty and could have done with a good airing. The towels were rough and smelt awful. The staff were friendly enough but it would have been useful for me to be given some information and maybe a map of the facilities available for use. I expected some kind of brochure in the room. There was no information given to me about when reception was closed how I was supposed to get to my room. Luckily another guest pointed me in the direction of a side door into the lodge. I was also disappointed with the breakfast. A very small english breakfast. One egg, one sausage, one rasher of bacon and a teaspoon of baked beans. They put the foil packet of butter on the toast so it was liquified by the time it got to my table. It was also very noisy. You could hear the bowling through the room walls late into the evening and at breakast it sounded like people were playing squash above our heads.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Celia D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our weekend. Especially helping us take advantage of the fantastic sports facilities on offer as part of the package deal.

Breakfast was good, staff again were friendly and helpful.

The room was basic with dated bed sheets. A light bulb was out in the room, the shower didn't get very warm and bathroom could do with an update but it was clean and did the job.

Would visit again, great multi activity day. However, possibly not value for money if you don't use take advantage of all the facilities.

• Stayed April 2014
Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My daughter booked 4 rooms, 1 for myself & husband for 2 nights 1st-2nd Nov & 3 more for just Sat 2nd Nov. We also recommended the place to other family members as we were there for a family reunion nearby. Knew it was basic accomodation but family thought that would be acceptable in view of the availability of swimming pool etc.
We arrived at approx 1.30 on the 1st and was told that there was no room booked for us. Eventually they tracked the Sat booking & managed to accomodate us for both nights. I texted my daughter informing her of the problem in case of further hitches. She ensured she had a copy of the e-mailed confirmation with her.
When the remaining 6 members tried to book in upon arrival for the Sat they were informed that there were only the 2 remaining rooms booked & they could not accomodate the third couple who had travelled from Jersey. They were told to try the nearest travel lodge or holiday inn. It didn't end there. When my grandchildren tried to access their room with the key they had been given it was already occupied. They had to sleep on the sofa in the lounge at our host's house. The desk staff took no responsibility for this fiasco nor offered any appologies. It ruined our afternoon as no one had time to avail themselves of the leisure facilities. We would have had better service from a local B & B. Although to be fair to the restaurant staff they were kind, curteous & helpful.

M C Hicks

Room Tip: All rooms are the same so I imagine they all need refurbishing
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mary h

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Went for two nights and stayed here as members of london club have stayed before and remembered it as basic but convenient for eastbourne But the room was poor really ! Awful thin towels broken shower hook blackened shower cubicle desperately needs renewing !!! Light bulb gone battery needed replacing in TV handset ...bedding not good enough!! Shame really as bar staff at breakfast were delightful!!! Pull your socks up D L management!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
cancun
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We read the reviews and were expecting very little. However for us the gym facilities, pool and sauna, along with the tennis courts and easy access by car were important factors. So we were willing to risk the bad room reviews.

When we arrived we had a pleasant surprise since the noise from the bowling alley was hardly a bother. Maybe the rooms had been soundproofed or we got one farther away than the other reviewers. Considering the price paid, the en-suite facilities were much better than any other bed and breakfast I've visited in Britain. Sure the beds are single and they wobble, but the linen was clean and the room was also in good condition. The TV is small, but we were there to run and be active so if I wanted to watch TV I would have stayed at home.

Breakfast was fine, I had the full english and my wife tried the veggie option. The veggie sausages looked better than the regular ones. They had cereal, juice and milk that you could help yourself to and the coffee was Costa so again very good.

You get access to the Gym and facilities, however it would make sense to book the tennis courts in advance since they seem to be the busiest. The same applies if you want to join a gym class. No towels are given in the gym so either bring the one from the lodge or your own.

Our main activity was running the south downs. Parking is free (at the lodge) and getting to seven sisters took us about 20 minutes. Overall we liked the value for money and would recommend it to anyone into fitness. This never pretends to be anything else.

Room Tip: The noisiest part of the bowling alley is close to the entrance to the lodge itself, so ask for a ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2012

First impressions,

When we arrived, we thought perhaps we'd got the wrong enterance, having been to David lloyds clubs before, I knew they generally looked like WW2 bunkers, in their attractive military olive green colour. Upon enquiring at the desk we were in fact in the right place for the lodge.

My wife also described the building as a cattle shed.

The check-in

Check in was fairly straight forward, apart from there PDQ wasn't working, so I need to go back and pay at a later stage. We were given our breakfast vouchers (how very butlins) and sent off to our room, on the other side of the bunker.

The room

After a decent walk across the facility we found our room.

"Basic", I think is the right way to describe it. My wife and I was faced with 2 single beds, very single beds. The room has been furnished on the tightest budget possible,

The TV was a massive 14" screen, which had a rather patchy signal, and the bedroom lamps had there last PAT test in march 2010, (date now, 15Sep2012) which was evident from the fact the if you touch the cable, the light switched on/off. Gives ya a warm fussy feeling sleeping beside a dodgy lamp!

Breakfast

Upon reporting for breakfast in the morning, we were told they only had 1 copy of the menu which was curently in use, so we're we're given the highlights from the girl behind the counter and I opted for the FullEnglish, without mushrooms (see photo) and my wife went for poached egg & beans on toast.

The same budget rules used in the rooms, was allowed on breakfast aswell, if the sausage cost 9p that's all it cost them, and the meat content certainly was high enough to class this as a pork sausage, the solitary rasher of bacon was dry and tasteless.

Over all I think my rating of poor was generous. We paid £65 per night B&B and considering we booked we in advance, we probably could have got a Travellodge for less, and it would have been to the same standard.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stevoj82
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This was my second stay at the lodge and this time I asked for an upstairs room in the hope of avoiding noise from the bowling alley which was a bit better. The room was identical and dates but comfortable and ideal for use of the club where I was training.

• Stayed March 2012