“Saturday night”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Don't know what it is with big pubs in eastbourne but why can't they find enough staff? Went to the duke Saturday night about 8, no surprise it was busy and only 2 staff behind the bar. After a long wait other staff appeared from somewhere, why were they not serving during a busy period I do not know.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

After walking through the town we came across this pub . After entering we found a table and a very happy chatty girl took our order for a sharing platter . Lovely lively atmosphere without being loud .. mixture of aged people and we felt very comfortable. Food was lovely and hot ... nothing to fault . Staff really friendly and chatty especially Glenn who took time out talk to us about Eastbourne !! ... thumbs up for this pub !!!!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Clean, well priced pub in the middle of town with really good staff & surprisingly good food.
We were quite a large group in for the rugby last Saturday and had a very enjoyable time.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

For my 24th birthday, I decided on a night out in town with a few friends and of course a few drinks to celebrate! I visited a couple of other bars in Eastbourne and was enjoying my night out when my friends and I decided to visit the duke of Devonshire. Upon walking to this location, I slipped and fell (admittedly wearing some very high healed shoes!) and injured my knee in the process. I got up and proceeded to walk to the pub and was refused entry by one of the bouncers. When asking why I had been refused entry, I was told that I was 'too drunk' and was therefore a 'health and safety hazard' to other customers! I explained that I had simply slipped over and my friends also argued this case explaining that it was simply due to my footwear choice and the wet ground. However, despite this, I was still refused entry. I was sober as a judge and was made to feel like an alcoholic. The way the bouncer staff dealt with this situation was disgusting. I explained that I had injured my knee and I would like to have a look at the injury in the toilet facilities but was yet again refused entry. I was so upset at the way I had been treated that I ended my birthday night out. Stay away for a night out...unless you want to be made to feel like a dirty alcoholic!!!!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Been here a few times when I go & visit my dad. It is a nice enough pub, cheap food, friendly staff. Sometimes they are a bit too keen to take your glass away before you have finished. What I find annoying is when food orders come out inaccurate though even after you send it back once it still returns not as its supposed to be. For example my dish was supposed to have melted cheese on it, it was brought over with grated cheese not melted on it so I sent it back. It returned after a minute in the microwave I imagine partly melted but still not as it should of been. I gave up & ate it as it was. It was still nice & not expensive so no major complaints, but could do better.