“lovely hotel”

Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
London, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

had a lovely sea and pier view room .we had a very good lunch and excellent 5 star evening meal ,all the staff at west rocks are fantastic with a special thankyou to ian and luke , we will be booking again soon xx

Room Tip: sea view rooms the best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsTigerLily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed Sunday and Monday nights in 4 sea view rooms which have recently been tastefully re furbished. Being right on the Prom enables you to sit in the comfortable bed and watch the boats and swimmers while sipping your tea before having your yummy breakfast. Ideally placed with easy walking to 2 theatres and the Winter Gardens and the pier, the car was not necessary. A 24 hr on-street parking permit for £1 from reception allows you to easily park on the streets by the hotel.
The young team of owners and staff are all fired up with enthusiasm for the project of making the hotel one of the best in Eastbourne. Nothing is too much trouble, - the chef invents new dishes daily according to what's fresh and then asked us for our opinions and tastes so that he could provide the best.
The stay certainly changed my ideas of an English seaside resort. Eastbourne and Sussex has so much to offer for entertainment...... We will be back !

Room Tip: Sea view rooms face south and have an uninterrupted panoramic view across the promenade to the sea.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank James S
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from this hotel from a weekend break with my partner. The staff were very welcoming. The sea view room was perfect, breakfast was very nice and we had dinner on one of the nights which was excellent. This hotel is very highly recommended for its location, the staff are exceptional, and the service is 5 star. They are refurbishing at the moment but this did not have an impact on our stay in the hotel, we have already booked to return.

Room Tip: Sea view every time
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula F
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Yesterday, two friends and I went for lunch in the Channel Restaurant at The WEST ROCKS HOTEL. The welcome from the Staff in the bar was very welcoming, the dining room was newly decorated and very pleasant, we sat in the window and once looking at the menu the Chef came to talk to us about the menus, explained that they were newly opened and welcomed any comments. The owner Chris Copping, came to introduce himself and told us his plans for the dining room. The food was delicious, hot, well presented and exactly as the chef said it would be. We enjoyed a lovely bottle of wine ( that was not outlandishly expensive but excellent). The whole experience was a lovely lunch in great surroundings in a dining room overlooking the sea.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EXAUSTEDSTAIRCLIMBER
Wells
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel has a fabulous location and the owners and staff are exceptional both in kindness and service. The food is great too. They are working very hard to finish their upgrade and it has a definite charm. We definitely recommend this hotel for any visitor and look forward to if back ourselves

• Stayed July 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

After researching several hotels in Eastbourne including the Grand.
I decided to book this one, what a great decision that was! I was staying on business but with my family (My mum and my baby Son). We both agreed that the customer service was exceptional and we've not experienced anything like it at other places we have previously stayed. As a professional Musician I have stayed in many 5 star establishments and I've not come across such excellent service before. They have got it just right! From Offering to carry our bags from the car, a snack/drink before we departed, help with baby and opening the door - make you feel extra special and for me this helped my stay become very stress free.
Very quite too! No sleep disturbance at all.
I had a hectic weekend of work/shows so very much appreciated the extra help.
Our room was very good value - not yet renovated but was clean and comfortable. I loved my stay so much I have already booked two rooms in September when my show performs at the fabulous Eastbourne Bandstand - walking distance from hotel.
Really I shouldn't be telling you how fabulous this little gem of Eastbourne really is as I can imagine if not already it will be getting fully booked! Reserve your room well in advance to avoid disappointment and my advice would be to pay a little extra for the deluxe or standard sea view room. After being shown a few of the rooms, I reserved the Deluxe with bay window for my next stay - what a stunning sea view! Has been renovated to excellent standard. I particularly like comfy duvets instead of sheets.
The Breakfast was indeed YUMMY! Fresh fruit - Yogurt - Cereals - Pastries - Full cooked on buffet and tea coffee serviced to you as soon as you enter. Non rushed too.
We ate one evening in the hotel restaurant and the food was excellent with again fantastic service!
Very relaxed atmosphere looking out to sea. I ordered Steak and Mum had fish and chips both delicious at a bargain deal.
And lastly the location is perfect! Right on the sea front near to everything Eastbourne has to offer.
I am looking forward to my next stay - THANK YOU West Rocks! You ROCK! :)))

Room Tip: Book the Deluxe Sea view (Bay window) worth the extra- stunning view!! Newly renovated room too. If...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked one night at West Rocks as a birthday trip for me, my husband and son in June. I was originally looking for a 'fancy' hotel for a night away, but found most places wouldn't allow a one night stay (B and Bs) or didn't have any family rooms or any that were available, a must for me as my son is only three. So this was a bit of a compromise, but in fact turned out to be a perfect result, as West Rocks was really family friendly and relaxed, but the location made it feel special for a special occasion.

The service was fantastic - from a warm welcome and the offer to carry our bags up to our room (very rare in hotels in this country, I've found!), to the friendly and proactive service at breakfast the next day (the staff offered a high chair and were really friendly and nice to us and our little boy: even though a three year old at breakfast is never a really wonderful start to anyone's day, they never made us feel we were a nuisance), to the helpful advice on where to go for shops (we were looking for antique/vintage shops) from the owner at the front desk.

Our family room was lovely - it had been redecorated and was clean, airy and bright, with some lovely old wardrobes for character. It was a good size, and right on the seafront with a huge bay window, so with the windows open we had a lovely breeze in the room. All the hotels in this area suffer from the effects of the salt and sea, but because it had been recently decorated and was so clean and fresh it didn't feel damp at all. The bathroom was huge and likewise very clean and user-friendly. At night the lights along the promenade were lit up, there was a beautiful moon, and it was a lovely view, as you could see to the pier. I think that being a little way along from the pier things were a bit quieter and we certainly had a peaceful night's sleep.

Breakfast was in the basement/lower-ground floor, in a really nicely decorated room which again felt bright and airy (although I always think it is a shame going downstairs for breakfast at hotels: I know it is because they have the ground floor for restaurant and bar, but the view would have been nice). There was a great range of buffet and cooked foods available and breakfast was served for a good long time so there was plenty of space and we didn't feel rushed.

There were signs up apologising for the hallways not being renovated yet, but we didn't mid that because the room itself was nicely done, and of course it will be a work in progress as it is a very big building. I felt that the hotel's clean and airy feel, and the friendly and hospitable service, combined with the location made it excellent value for money here in the pricey South East!

Room Tip: Sea view - this was a full sea view at the front on the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family