“Good quality hotel, hindered by some of the service.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cavendish Hotel

Cavendish Hotel
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Good quality hotel, hindered by some of the service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I was really impressed having stayed here recently with all aspects of this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. The one area to disappoint me was the fact that my wife and I were forced to lift our baby buggie up the entrance stairs as there was no help offered by staff. When I asked about a ramp they told me to go around the block and enter from the rear of the hotel! This is a major inconvenience when the weather is bleak! In the future i would advise they install a ramp and have staff willing to help guests in our situation. As we arrived in the evening the entance was constantly full of smokers that we were forced to walk through! Smoking guests should not be allowed to smoke outside the entrance!

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MCSNASH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Upminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife and I stayed for 3 days late November to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary and
felt very relaxed during our stay. Excellent breakfast, dinner, room, sea view, comfort, service
and surroundings. ALL the staff we met were very attentive, friendly and professional. Simply a great hotel. Will certainly stay there again on our next visit to Eastbourne.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the 4th floor with a balcony. Lovely rooms, lovely views, very peaceful.
2 Thank Martin B
Eastbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

As a local we like to pop in for a tea,coffee or something stronger....
A varied bar menu available .
Lovely to relax as there are tables at front which have marvellous view of ocean.
Popped in yesterday after Xmas shopping. Came in on bus so had a bottle of Prosecco. As my partner and I look after my disabled Father and elderly Mother it was some good R&R time for us.
Thank you Alistair for your efficient service . Always good to be served by someone with a smiley face . Attention to detail excellent,a credit to the younger generation...........

Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

My late husband and I stayed at this hotel a few years ago. My husband was an amputee and used a wheelchair so we therefore booked an adapted room. This was very spacious and easily accommodated his wheelchair especially in the bathroom. The room was at the front of the hotel with sea view, consequently we had to pay extra per night for the sea view which was most annoying but the bonus was that we had two large picture windows overlooking the bandstand and so after dinner we were able to sit in our room with the windows open and listen to the band for free. With a wheelchair we found the lift a bit cramped, also on the first day we were given a table in the dining room and my husband, sitting in his wheelchair, was unable to get his knees under the table, but the next day after complaining we were given a table near a window and kept the same table for rest of holiday. Another gripe was that at the time we were there there was no disabled access at the front and no ramp so we had to access the hotel by the back entrance, which meant going round the corner to the street behind the hotel and through the car park.
Overall a reasonable hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia S
Ryde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Great hotel - superb staff and service - clean tidy lovely room (212) fantastic views Pebbles treatments first class breakfast 100% what else could you wish for - - - - - a nice dinner!! The evening meals were dire bland boring tasteless and while I would return to the hotel I would go B&B only. Even the staff seemed embarrassed at serving such poor quality and on discussion with the Manager I could tell I was not alone in my comment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ian F
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a night away here last weekend.

The hotel is very grand with lovely decor and friendly and helpful staff.

We paid for a sea view and we were not disappointed. The room was huge and met all our expectations....except for the bed!

Before even getting in the bed you could clearly see it had seen better days. It had a huge dip where the mattress had given up. The linen also looked a bit worse for wear. Thin duvet, thin pillows and generally worn and uninviting.

I have to say the bed was extremely uncomfortable. Not a good night's sleep at all. :(

We had drinks and scones in the bar. Very nice. The staff were very attentive and friendly.

We would love to return for the location and views etc. But the bed experience has put us off. Shame.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I have just enjoyed a very comfortable short break at the Cavendish.
The hotel is in an excellent position and has very nice decor throughout the public areas.
Attentive, responsive friendly staff with a can-do attitude.
Restaurant exceeded expectations with an excellent choice of food offering tasty good size portions - breakfast was also very good.
In relation to our room, the bathroom was well equipped, clean, and spacious, with a variety of bottled and packaged goodies.
The bed was very comfortable and there was a lot of space in our sea-facing executive room.
Fridge and hot drinks facility were fine.
However where the hotel let itself down was the lack of attention to detail. The room furniture was very average. During our first evening we needed to complain about the air-con not working, the radiator was stuck in the off position, 2 lights not operating, the loo extractor fan staying on for too longer period - on the second night there was no hot water.
To give the hotel credit these were all sorted out to our satisfaction, but should have been checked before we arrived.
Although it was cold outside the room temperature in the bedroom was very hot, even without the heating - the only way to get fresh air ventilation without using the aircon was to open the double glazed doors, but for security reasons needed to be closed them during the night, so it was a little uncomfortable.
It is clear that a considerable investment has been made in recent times to the hotel - just a pity that this investment has not been extended to the bedroom fittings.
Never the less we had a an enjoyable stay at the Cavendish and would recommend it.