“Cavendish hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cavendish Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Cavendish Hotel
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Cavendish hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Lovely afternoon teas at a very reasonable price, table reserved for us in the area overlooking the sea, service slow the waiter forgot to smile. Had to keep asking for extra milk, cream, tea and coffee. However lovely setting.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

A fabulous cream tea - definitely one of the best stones I have ever tasted. This would have been an excellent review but come on 'The Cavendish' - why are you serving tea in dirty cups (looked like egg stuck on it) and polish your teapots! You need to train your waiting staff (young as they are) to double check the crockery is clean before taking it to the table! not good enough - I have higher expectations of you!

2 Thank Sydney B
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

First impressions of this establishment are extremely impressive,especially if viewed from the beach side of the road.It stands tall and looks quite grand.
Staff were faultless,they were all very professional and extremely happy to please.So on check in we thought 'what a great place' Unfortunately once in the room which was big and had high ceilings we were amazed that one could pick up the safety deposit box and take it with you as it was not attached safely to anything.Bearing in mind we had two iPads with us plus credit cards,bank cards,cash,car keys and house keys.This seemed like a joke as we've never been to an hotel where one could pick the safety box up and carry it away in a laundry bag.I immediately asked to be moved to another room as we wanted to go into town and store our belongings safely.I was told that ALL THE SAFETY BOXES WERE UNATTACHED.The young lady at the reception offered the hotels main safe so we could store our belongings in,to which we declined as we did not like the thought of handing everything over to somebody that we only just met And didn't want other staff having access to our personal belongings.A very disappointing situation as we are in 2014 not in the 60's or 70's.
For us this was a major deterrent of choosing this hotel again.
Breakfast was was very good along with fabulous views onto the English Channel.Breakfast staff were very friendly and in abundance so whatever we asked for was virtually immediately brought to us which was excellent.
I feel the staff actually make this hotel what it is.
However walking in and out of the property was as easy as crossing the road because when we entered and the receptionist was busy we could've easily gained access to all floors without a problem.Lifts do not have the normal key card swipe to gain access either which is more and more commonplace nowadays.
Not a property due to these concerns that I would recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gazza87
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Whilst visiting some friends in Eastbourne, they treated me to Sunday lunch at the Cavendish. You can not fail to be impressed by the surroundings, the smart & ultra professional staff and the wonderful view. We had a great window seat, attentive service, tasty & hot food and a reasonable price to match

1 Thank Lauren D
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I use The Cavendish regularly. Great location right on the seafront near The Bandstand.
Lovely lounge and fantastic soft area in The Library. It's a beautiful place, old fashioned which is good. The staff are super friendly. I have eaten a few times in the restaurant. The food is very good and well priced. I have stayed at this lovely old hotel as well and my room was excellent although a little on the small side. I have also had afternoon tea here and let me tell you it was delicious!

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel and ask if they have any rooms with a sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
2 Thank mark b
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Went to this hotel for a pedicure and afternoon tea as a birthday treat for my sister. The pedicure was great, Emma very friendly and chatty, made sure I was comfortable, being 5 months pregnant! Then afternoon tea, what a let down!!! Only a choice of two fillings of sandwich, heavy dry scones, cold toasted teacake (surely a morning treat not afternoon anyway?!) and a tiny piece of Victoria sponge each, which was raw. I had to spit line back out as it just tasted of raw egg.
Lovely bar staff tho, but won't go back!!

1 Thank BecsVallance
Bury St Edmunds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have walked past the Cavendish many times over the past few years I have worked in Eastbourne. It sits proudly on the promenade, still gloriously maintained along Eastbourne's sea front. Unlike a few of the other hotels, it looks immaculate, white and proudly sporting it's blue livery. It speaks of quality and suggests an experience more relaxed than it's more stately neighbour, The Grand.

I booked on the day and paid £125 for a sea facing double, the reception area continues where the signage begins- nice wood, plush carpets and glass windows overlooking the sea. The room had high floor to ceiling windows and a view to die for. I skipped into a wetsuit and was out in the sea within 30 seconds.

Frequented, it is fair to say, by an older clientele, the hotel is in danger of letting it's location do most of the work. Indeed I think the highpoint really is the view, everything else was I'm afraid distinctly average.

My room had a balcony- enough space for two people- this should be enjoyed. Yet to enjoy it there needs to be some furniture out there. Instead there was nothing, and frankly it was not particularly well maintained. The Eastbourne seagulls had clearly been playing at target practice and been allowed to do so. The room was furnished, but it was very hot without air conditioning and if I'm honest not finished with any sort of style or attention to detail. It was bland.

Yet going to sleep with the windows open and the sea lapping gently metres away from you is almost worth the bland interior.

The problem with this hotel and many like it is that they can get by offering pretty ordinary service and ordinary accommodation because people are so delighted by the prime location. There is no incentive to excel, the building is well maintained, looks great and sits smack in the best location in the entire town. The clientele it attracts are for the most part much older and they seem to be happy with this. Who am i to complain?

Well I am being fair, there is nothing wrong with the hotel, breakfast was ordinary- the coffee was however disgusting, the room and everything about my experience was ordinary- yet the view was fantastic and almost worth the expense.

Yet with a bit of creativity and innovation from the owners this hotel could be turned into one of the best on the entire south coast. Look at the turn around at The Waterside on Cornwall's North coast- it has ceased to trade on it's location alone and has attracted a whole new diverse customer- it offers a real experience.

Eastbourne in general could benefit from some younger professionals coming in with a bit more vision, eventually the increasingly older clients will cease to come- and hotels like this will wither and crumble into the sea. Which has an unfortunate poetry about it.

The Cavendish needs a sharp wake-up kick, it needs to sort out the food, sort out the furnishings and match the location. Eastbourne is crying out for a hotelier to do this- until that point- go for the view, but you can sit on the promenade for free instead and get the same experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo