“West Lawn Choice”

Hydro Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Duncurin and family recently spent 4 nights in Eastbourne visiting relatives, and opted for the Hydro.
Upon entering the foyer of this genteel hotel, one could be forgiven for thinking one had entered a bygone age and that any minute Poirot or even Miss Marple was about to look round from one of the wing-backed chairs.
Though the reception rooms downstairs have a feel of yesteryear about them, do not let this deceive you, however, as this is a well-appointed, comfortable hotel with nicely refurbished rooms with crisp, clean décor and en-suite bathrooms which are spotless ( at least in the two rooms we’d booked ! ) and kept that way by the diligence of the hotel maids who worked tirelessly and efficiently. One niggle was that the double bed in our room seemed just a little too small and Duncurin and spouse are amazed at how any marriage can survive on a bed that is just 4’ 6” in width! The girls had a twin room, which was perfect.

We had opted for a B&B package, which was extremely good value, and a varied and nicely cooked range of delights awaited us each morning.
Grounds are beautifully tended and though we did not have time to try the Croquet lawn nor the outdoor heated pool, it looked inviting and well tended.
So, for not much more than one of the national ‘budget’ hotel chains; we were very pleased with the comfort and welcome we received from this worthy hotel and when visiting our relatives in future will be more than happy to choose the Hydro once again.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

My first opinion was.... "great, a bit of class", as I entered the foyer, as I used this hotel for interviewing prospective employees. The reception area is large and Comefortable and ideal for meeting friends, family.... And potential employees. The staff were friendly however I got the feeling that we were in the way as we had to get their attention for drinks and lunch and getting their attention took some work. We did visit just before "Airbourne" so the hotel was busy. As my interviews went on until gone 08.00pm I decided to ask if the hotel had a room available, and after using my smart phone to check 'late rooms.com' I knew there was space... The receptionist was happy to do me a deal and I stayed in a double room with a sea view for a really competetive rate. I spent a Comefortable night at the hotel... But the room was very dated! The room that I was given was VERY clean, had an ensuite, tv etc." but everything was a bit old and a bit twee. I can't complain, I had a Comefortable stay and would stay again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I went to Eastbourne for the Airbourne Air show 18th 19th August and had the most wonderful time ever staying at the Hydro Hotel.This was our third stay since June and I wouldn't go anywhere else now we have found this hotel!
Our room was comfortable, spotlessly clean and well presented. We had glorious views over the sea and beyond. we had a first class view from the gardens and from our room of the Air display, rather than be in the crowds on the sea front. The Red arrows and Lancaster Bombers were just fab!
The Staff at the Hydro are helpful polite and very friendly. Breakfast was served fresh and piping hot in the pleasant Crystal restaurant. In the grounds the gardens are perfectly kept and it was a delight to sit and relax there with a large glass of wine in the evening sun. The pool area is a big bonus for this hotel.
We really feel that all the staff should be commended for their attention to detail and their polite manners at all times. All in all I would highly recommend this lovely well run quality hotel which is full of tradition and good service. Thank you Hydro for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Choose a sunny Sea view room. Reccomend the cream teas pots of coffee and meals in the Conservator...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Great views for Air Bourne what could be better afternoon tea and watching the red arrows and a lovely hotel to stay in
Food good staff great
Grounds are well maintained and the outside pool which is now fixed !! Is great to cool off in with this lovely weather we have had this year.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

You'll like it here if you enjoy incredibly rude Eastern European receptionists, overpriced bland food, small beds and badly designed facilities. A truly awful service in a hotel that used to be very nice. When my partner told staff that the automatic tissue dispensers in the toilets were not working, he was accused of lying! He also said that they have ripped out the original, beautiful porcelain tiles and toilets and totally 'Ikea'd' them. I wonder if the local council know? When I asked for breakfast to be taken to my 80 year old mother I was told, again, in that unique Eastern European way to 'go get card from room to order.' Pool was freezing as pump broken - for over two weeks! What an earth have they done? Shame. We will not go back.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
7  Thank Alison O
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed at the Hydro Hotel for 3 nights.My fathers 'WAKE' was held at the Hotel.It was held in the Garden Suite an excellent room for a function and opened out onto a terrace that overlooked the sea.The food was excellent. The hotel is in Meads where the hotel has a super location,lovely gardens,croquet lawns and outdoor swimming pool.We also enjoyed the rest of our stay,with excellent food,and very attentive staff.A perfect location and we will certainly be visiting again.

Room Tip: Number 2 room on ground floor had been redecorated and very quiet
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Never again! The hotel needs refurbishing, repairs and a courteous attitude from the staff. It was very warm inside the room and corridors. Try opening the windows and you are driven to distraction by the seagulls attempting to get food. Staff walked into the room without waiting. Their attitude was rude in general but some were very helpful.

The restaurant service was appalling. We were told by one staff member that there should be 15 staff working there and they are down to 7. That explained why it was so dire.

The hotel is up for sale and has been for two years now. It does well to keep the three stars it has. Not deserved in our opinion. It requires a drastic overhaul in every way. Some of the rooms are so hot in summer months they could do with air conditioning.

Room Tip: Bear in mind that the sea view rooms get the full sun all day in summer. This makes them very warm...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple