“In laws wedding”

Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Hastings, United Kingdom
“In laws wedding”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We came here for my in laws wedding reception and all I can say is that they were absolutely excellent ! They put out a most amazing buffet and the food was absolutely delicious. We had one member of staff with us and he was the most politest , helpful person we've ever come across! They made my in laws reception perfect and I can't thank them enough.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

A touch of gentile atmosphere at this hotel. Well run and peaceful and ideal for just having a quiet break from the pressure of life! Lovely food, clean rooms and lovely staff. Highly recommend that you try this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank roytea
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We are 'locals' so we do not use the hotel to stay overnight. However, we often frequent the hotel.
We have celebrated various special family occasions with a large group and have always had excellent service and good food.
If you are after a relaxing afternoon in Eastbourne, I can thoroughly recommend 'afternoon tea' these start from around £4 each, but it is worth paying £7 for the full cream tea, complete with cucumber sandwiches, scone, cream, strawberry jam etc. This is available from 3pm in the conservatory which overlooks the sea.
It always feels 'most civilised' once you enter the Hydro. A nice place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights during a walking break in the Eastbourne area. Although the exterior looks a bit run-down, first impressions on entering the reception area are very good: a nicely decorated, old-fashioned public area leading-off to other rooms, bar etc, and piano music drifting out. Check-in was straightforward and problem-free.

I'd paid £20 extra for a sea view so my room was at the front of the hotel with a very decent vista over the western promenade. The room was clean and well-decorated but rather let down by the two (yes, two) bathrooms. The first 'en suite' was like a pre-fabricated plastic capsule that had been jammed-in to a corner of the room, encompassing a toilet, washbasin and shower. I'm 5'7" and 9 stone and I do wonder whether anyone much taller would be able to use it. I didn't bother trying the shower as it would clearly have made everything within the capsule wet. Almost as a compensation for this, another bathroom was provided, exclusively for the use of this room, on the opposite side of the corridor. This had a bath and shower and no toilet but the shower was virtually unusable as the water pressure was so feeble.

I decided to 'eat in' on my first night so presented myself at the restaurant entrance. I later found that 'gentlemen' are asked to wear a tie for dinner which may account for the slightly sniffy reception I received from the maitre d' who quickly ushered me off to the deserted conservatory, well away from the main dining area. This would have been a nice enough area but I was the only person there, there was no music and the room had all the atmosphere of a disused library. The waiting staff, although initially attentive, later seemed to forget that I was there and I had to go and request a dessert menu. This said, the food was excellent and the main course reasonably priced - the cheeseboard at £9 was, however, not great value in my opinion.

At breakfast (when a tie is not required) I was able to take a look at the main dining room. A large, nicely decorated area with helpful staff but badly let down by 4 or 5 chests of drawers in the middle of the room, in which cutlery, etc is kept. These are literally falling apart and were broken & dirty - very off putting.

Overall I couldn't fault the staff - although the woman on reception didn't trouble to ask me about my stay when I checked-out - and at £60 per night, the Hydo isn't expensive. As is often the case with such places, however, it could be much better with minimal effort.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Terry B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here for our wedding night back in November, wouldn't recommend that to anyone.
Arrival was nice, we arrived late in our wedding gear after a long day, reception friendly enough.

A lot of our friends had booked early, only to find that 4 of the people that booked late got upgraded rooms due to space issues, not pleasing to people that had paid more and got less than those that booked late.

Shown to our room, to our horror. 2 single beds pushed up against each other. No flowers, champagne or anything special. Place looked like something out of fawlty towers.

Bar is 24 hour, which is helpful after a long day, however getting someone to serve you is not the easiest process.

Decor is very old, suited to the older guests personally.

For the price you pay for the " best room" I wouldn't recommend it, very overpriced.

Only plus side is that the atmosphere is very relaxed, nice place to chill and have a drink after a long day.

Reception staff in the morning very unhelpful,I did, after a lot of discussion, receive a small recompense on my room, still did not do enough to sour the taste left from 2 single beds on my wedding night.
On the 2nd night they did put a bottle of Champagne in the room, which I 'suggested' they do as my wife was extremely upset with the place so far, maybe in the future they should not have to be told how to keep guests happy.

Considering I took over 20 guests to the hotel, you would have thought they would have been much more accommodating to our issues with the room.

Breakfast was nice, accommodated my 20 guests well and the food was very nice. However being told the latest we could sit down for breakfast was 9am after a wedding the day before did not go down well with ANY of my guests.

My opinion- I have stayed in over 50 hotels throughout the world in the last year alone, this was by far the worst, in terms of service and overall attitude.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nicholas c
Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We recently chose to host our Golden Wedding celebration at this hotel as it has long been a favourite venue. Most of our guests travelled some distance to join us and some of them also booked two nights at the hotel. I am pleased to say that as always the very efficient and helpful staff at The Hydro did not let us down. The whole weekend was memorable for all 44 of us! The rooms were spotless, comfortable and well appointed. The lounge areas are well furnished and have plenty of discrete corners for a quiet drink. The views from the conservatory restaurant are wonderful. The main restaurant is as elegant as the rest of the hotel and the food is delicious and varied. Breakfast is served in the main restaurant. There is ample car parking which is a bonus for a hotel in Eastbourne. I feel that we could not have chosen a better hotel for celebrating a special day.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
somerset
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a very old style hotel with old fashion standards that cannot be faulted. The staff are very helpful and the breakfast is excellent. This hotel is very good value. The room we were in 202 had great views and was very clean and comfortable. Do not be put off by the elderly client that seem to frequent this establishment, they do so for a reason. This is a great hotel for any age. I would certainly return and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a full sea view or a corner sea both are good and worth the little extra they co...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple