“UNHURRIED, RELAXING”

Hydro Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We called in for afternoon tea and experienced a very relaxed and pleasant ambiance.
We sat in their bright and airy conservatory, with somewhat limited views of the English Channel, and sampled their scones and tea. Delicious!
There was a very unhurried atmosphere, and can report that their charges for snacks are quite reasonable for a moderately large hotel in a quite prominent, elevated site.
Will most certainly return.

1  Thank jelofts

Reviewed 11 April 2014

So look, I'm a business person and I visit hotels regularly for business and pleasure. I'm not from Eastbourne but I was asked to visit and check it out so I have and here I am.
The building is lovely and I'd like to spend more time here but the reality is that I am used to being served by waiters and waitress who want to serve. This my second visit and I'm struggling to get someone to get me coffee? I want to have lunch and there are three us and trying to get someone to tell me what time lunch is,is becoming a chore. It appears that service is not their main reason for being here. We eventually asked someone if we could have some coffee.

We've just asked at the bar for some cake to go with our coffee and I was told to ask a waiter. So I asked the waiter for some shortbread and it has arrived in its plastic wrapper.

Dear manager if you are reading this. I really wanted to stay for lunch but we'll finish our coffee and go elsewhere. I don't want to chase staff to spend my money. I want attentive staff who ask me if I'd like anything else. I want people who like me being at there hotel and not see me as an convenience.

The toilets need more regular visits to be kept clean.

Room Tip: I wouldn't come here on business. Actually I'd be very embarrassed if I were to have a busin...
4  Thank fads100
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Have been before and have reviewed before. Yesterday, I took my mum for lunch to the Hydro Hotels Crystal Restaurant as a treat for her 86th birthday. Got there at 1pm and the restaurant was busier than on previous occasions which was nice and we were greeted by smiling staff who showed us to our table. The thing I liked was we didn't have to rely on a single waiter/waitress during a busy period - multiple servers looked after us, all of who were polite and very charming. The food was delicious and the whole experience was something special for my mum's treat.

1  Thank echomania
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at The Hydro Hotel. The staff were very friendly and efficient, beautiful crisp table linen, very clean and the food in general was excellent. We got a good all inclusive rate at 190.00 pounds for two people inclusive of Dinner, Bed & Breakfast which we thought was great value. Service was excellent. Accommodation was good. I find it hard to believe it is only an AA three star hotel as they have all the facilities of a four star. My only one complaint was the fish. Plaice, served on the bone, it was the tiniest main course I have ever had served to me in my life and was very disappointing, I would strongly suggest for them to take this menu choice off the menu completely. Other than that it was great - very well run hotel & we would go back.

Room Tip: Dont order the Plaice!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Been many a time for afternoon tea or snacks, as its comfortable, warm and a nice view to the garden from the conservatory for my elderly mother.

However, the service is very bad, surly staff, slow service , no smiles or greetings, and not even a thank-you for tips! Most times we actually have to go and get a member of staff to serve us - and if its the end of a shift they ignore you as they want to get off.

When I asked for ice in my coke, the waitress even told me to go to the bar and ask , even though I had table-service.
It always quite laughable about how bad the service really is, could be a TV comedy sketch!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DaNewt
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We recently held our wedding reception at this lovely hotel and have to say the staff could not have been any better. A massive thank you to Joe and the catering staff for laying on an afternoon tea plus an evening buffet of fish and chips. All of our guests were full of praise at how much effort was put into all of the food and how nice it all was. All of the little touches they provided were really appreciated by all. We stayed in a lovely suite with beautiful views across the lawn and down to the sea. Breakfast went down well with all the guests and we were very impressed that no-one was left waiting even though people came and went at different times. Thank you to all for making our day so smooth and special.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We are quite local and so have been many times.
Have stayed once over night for a wedding- room was lovely.

Have been countless times for afternoon tea- which is very very good.
Also have had a few wonderful evening meals, at nearly £30 per head it's not cheap but you will leave stuffed and happy. Lots of food, and very delicious.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family