“A relaxing stay...”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Please read the Rev Peter Ratcliffe review below because he has summed up the Imperial perfectly.
I too went on a KGB £99 deal, 2 nights with 3 course dinner both nights & full breakfast both mornings. Bargain. Well worth the money and would not hesitate to go back to the Imperial next year on the same deal.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank simon c

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Went to this hotel on kGb voucher. We have always had good experience with these deals before but this was an exception. Very friendly reception staff. The room was truly awful, I wouldn't have stayed in this room in the 80's when it was last decorated, it was the size of a large cupboard with a tiny old double bed. The bathroom and toilet were like a hospital room. The view a skylight and peeling paint. And then the coach parties of elderly people arrived en mass. Dinner and breakfast in the huge dining room was two sittings 6.15 or 7pm for dinner. We were allocated 7pm and we were finished 7.30! We are in our 60's but not ready for this type of hotel come holiday camp. The food was fine for the price. We were booked for two nights but left after one I found the whole experience depressing!

Room Tip: Don't have room 128 at any price I suspect it's the worst in the hotel
6  Thank moggiemo50
Reviewed 30 July 2013

There was only one thing that was not perfect on this holiday, but I will come to that later!

First the good points, or at least some of them as I cannot write too much!

1. The journey down from South London can be made by car on the quick route via M23 or the medium route on the A22 or the lovely slower backroute through Edenbridge and the Ashdown Forest where Winnie the Pooh is said to live!

2. The hotel issues parking permits for only £1 per day which run through to 11am the following morning so that is very useful.

3. The staff are excellent and cheerful.

4. The location is excellent. It actually benefits from being just a few yards (less than 1 minute walk!) off the seafront road. It is much quieter without the traffic noise that afflicts some other hotels.

5. Most of the guest are from Robinsons holidays who bring coaches of delightful elderly folk from the North of England. They really enjoy themselves and are great to be amongst. Why not talk to them and learn something! We didn't however join them for a game of bingo after dinner!

6. The hotel is extremely well organised so there are quite strict set times for meals. The good wholesome food (similar to home cooking) is delivered to the tables quickly but you are under no pressure to hurry! Water is served with meals and you are under no pressure to buy drinks or feel guilty for not so doing. You even make your choice of evening meal in the morning to enable the restaurant to be even more efficient!

7. While the lifts are small and quaint there are two of them and they work perfectly well. Younger or fitter visitors can of course use the stairs!

8. Tea of coffee is included after the evening meal and the hotel has very much lounge area which guests use throughout the day. Again there is no pressure to buy drinks or more food etc so this is really very relaxing.

9. I did not check if WiFi was available but of a truth it was great to leave the laptop at home for 48 hours! What is the point of a break like this if you need to be online all the time?

10. The bath filled up at great speed and was a good size. Yes, it was old and there was no shower but why not relax and enjoy a bath! You are on holiday!

11. We missed out on the good value packed lunch deal but had a good sandwich in the lounge which was about half the price of London!

Well time has run on so let me get to the one negative point.

I have to say that it was nothing to do with the Imperial ! Personally I had a rotten cold so while the weather was lovely I was confined to the room most the time and could not enjoy my usual long swims in the sea. Well, some things are not that important. The important thing is to have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. With his grace and his precious promises, such minor troubles do not matter at all! In fact, they only remind us that the best is yet to come!

Room Tip: We asked for a side room if possible but got the back side rather than the seaview side. This did no...
6  Thank Rev Peter Ratcliff
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My daughter and I stayed here on a KGB deal for 2 nights. I know Eastbourne well and have a very soft spot for it. Our expectations were very low and so we were pleasantly surprised by the good standard of décor, albeit an old building with quirks and odd shapes. I think, if the purpose of the deal is to attract younger people, then it fell very short of the goal; 1. does everyone really need the crust cut off their toast? 2.meals appear to be particularly suited for ease of eating 3. safety handle in the bathroom 4. regimental dining sittings. 5. limited options for breakfast i.e. juice OR cereal OR fruit. We didn't have the hotel meal on the second evening, after the first experience and preferring to eat out. I have included a separate review of an excellent Greek restaurant close by.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank BBurnBabe
Reviewed 3 July 2013

A 2 night KGB offer at the Imperial was excellent value. Hadn,t been to Eastbourne since our children were small, well over 25 years ago and was impressed by the elegance of the place. Friendly polite staff, nothing was too much trouble, good food and house wine at £9 95 - who could grumble. Our room 104 on the 1st floor overlooked the road, it was clean, quiet, comfortable and we could keep an eye on our parked car. £1 per day to park!! Fantastic value. Yes there was a coach party of older people enjoying the comfort of the Imperial, such a joy to chat to them, and to know they were having a lovely holiday. Well done and many thanks to the staff at the Imperial, we hope to return, it is such a convenient place for exploring the Sussex area.

Room Tip: 1st floor room was great for us, also we had a room with a shower as requested.
5  Thank Ruby71WestMidlands
Reviewed 2 July 2013

visited last weekend on a cheap deal,they were rolling out the red carpet when we arrived,but it was for the imminent arrival of a coach load of wrinklies. I was amazed that they knew our names,but it turned out we were the only people arriving by car!The reception staff were very friendly as were all of the staff we encountered during our stay.
First impressions of the hotel are quite good,the reception areas have been refurbished recently but once you ascend in the phone box sized lifts to the upper floors you realise that the hotel is in need of major refurbishment.Our room,whilst a good size and with a side sea view was rather shabby with woodchip wallpaper, ex-wd type furniture and a floor which sloped and creaked alarmingly.The shower room was large and adequate but there was a large damp patch under the window.BUT the room was perfectly clean,the bedding and towels were nice and white and the beds,whilst a bit creaky, were very comfortable. The electrical wiring was of what looked like seventies vintage,but everything worked.

We ate out the first night as it was my wife's birthday;breakfast was excellent with a cheerful and quick service.The evening meal was exactly as expected,adequate.
There was entertainment in the" ballroom" which was not to my taste but kept the old people entertained.
All in all this once splendid hotel, situated in a near seafront location,offers faded but very clean accommodation in a very nice seaside town.
I wouldn't want to pay full price but at 99 pounds for BBEM for two,it gave us a welcome weekend break, added to which the weather was fabulous.
The area has many National Trust sites to visit as well as a lovely coastline.
I would not recommend the hotel to young people,I felt quite young amongst the other guests and I'm no spring chicken!

Room Tip: 312 was our room,it's away from the lifts in a quiet location
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kerry r
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My 83 year old mother and I went there recently on a kgb deal and found every member of staff extremely helpful and friendly. As we only paid £99 for both of us for accommodation, breakfast and three course meal each evening, we were most impressed and found this to be excellent value for money. The room was a good size. The food was very good indeed considering what we had paid. The evening entertainment was not that great, but hey ho....what can you expect? Excellent location. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family