“A real gem”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was our first experience of the Eastern Wok, and it was truly excellent. Their menu promised healthier food and we were not disappointed. Plenty of fresh stir fried veg, and a good variety in my chicken with seasonal veg. Delicate tasting sauces that did not taste if they were full of chemicals. They also make yakatori kebabs, which we've eaten in Japan... These were good too, served with a fragrant sauce. They do Dim Sum which we'll go back to try.

The woman who took my order and gave my take-away to me was friendly and helpful... They do charge a small surcharge for credit card payment, but she explained there was a cash point on the other side of Waitrose, where we'd parked anyway, so that was no problem.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

A very tiny restaurant in the back streets of Old Town Eastbourne.It also does takeaway.Cosy and welcoming interior with very good Chinese food with plenty of choice. Pleasant staff, worth seeking out. Because it is so tiny, it would be wise to book on busy nights

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Ate here with family early on a Saturday evening. First impressions were OK; the restaurant is very small, 16 chairs, but pleasantly decorated with smart tables. The English waitress showed us to a table and soon enough we had ordered drinks and two courses from the Chinese lady boss. Soon then it became clear that the Boss was one of the few chefs and the waitress was grossly overstretched between serving the two tables occupied in the restaurant, taking take-away orders over the phone and serving others who had come to the restaurant for takeaways. In the time that we sat in the restaurant more than100 takeaway meld were served. For us this meant that we struggled to get and service and our meal was very slow with a constant traffic of takeaway customers and delivery drivers going past our little table.

The food that we had was fresh but lacked interest or flavour. Portions were very modest. We will not return. I raise my hat to the waitress who did her best under impossible circumstances. i assume from the size that this was previously just a takeaway. I think it will return to just takeaway. I can only say that others who think that this is the best Chinese in Eastbourne cannot have visited many others.

1  Thank EdB222
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Absolutely the best Chinese in Eastbourne, we can't fault the food or the service. We're so lucky to live round the corner, it's my favourite restaurant with fabulous vegetarian options even my partner the carnivore enjoyed the tofu. The family are lovely and extremely friendly, even when they're really busy.

2  Thank gumblemunchkin
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Read about this little known restaurant , have lived in Eastbourne 30 years and only just found this small but excellent restaurant. Great choice of food and amazing flavours. We have lready booked to return. Yum!

1  Thank Kathy288Polegate