“SEEMS TO BE CLOSED A LOT”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Bocca - CLOSED

Grand Bocca
Cuisines: Cafe, Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Eastbourne
“SEEMS TO BE CLOSED A LOT”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We used to eat at the venue under previous owners regularly and were delighted to find a new owner with all the ethos we like in a restaurant I.e local produce, great reading menu etc.
First time we visited with an elderly relative, we asked first if we could come in for a light bite and was welcomed in. Got her sat down and settled but found out once we had ordered coffees that they were only serving lunch, so just had coffees only.
Second time we went for breakfast, it was closed, preparing for New Year's Eve. Quite understandably but nothing on website to say they were closed getting ready for the evening, so a wasted journey and we went somewhere else.
Third time, again we went for a meal and was closed again.
We will probably try it again but seems to have unusual opening hours. If we try to visit one more time and find it closed we probably won't bother going again.
Shame.

1 Thank J P
k b, Owner at Grand Bocca, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Hi JP,

Sorry that it seems that you were pretty unlucky with the opening times over the Christmas and New Years period and that your visits have not been 100% positive thus far

It would be great to welcome you in and as such can we politely ask for you to either give us a quick call or review the Grand Bocca website for full opening hours, prior to your next visit.
As the menu changes daily, a quick call to one of our team will also provide you with a glimpse of the beautiful and seasonal light bites, tapa and main plates on offer and will also hopefully help to clear up any questions that you may have.

With warmest regards and thanks

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT - A GREAT ADDITION TO EASTBOURNE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I am very happy to recommend Grand Bocca based on my meal there last Friday night with a friend and my breakfast today. The style and decor give it a trendy feel as soon as you open the door.

The 2 staff members and 2 owners were very friendly, attentive, informative and speedy in their service.

It is a small venue and you can see that as a positive (intimate), a negative (hemmed in) or simply see it for what it is - a fantastic little place.

I do not recognise the negative comment placed by another person about the Bavette. - Yes, that cut is tougher than most cuts and definitely will not melt in your mouth like a fillet. However, I will swap the awesome taste for texture every time.

The owners are NOT trying to just jazz up dishes that you can get elsewhere, they are trying to do something different and I applaud them for it.

One recommendation for the owners - You WILL get negative reviews on this site. Sometimes because of ignorance, some because of personal taste, some because you / your staff had a slight "off day" and sometimes you will just be the victim of a nasty person. - PLEASE simply reply to their comments in a neutral, professional and factual way. I understand how negativity can effect you personally and financially (I have been there and bought the t-shirt). However, having read your 2 responses, as a neutral outsider, I can see how they might not enamour you to potential customers at your great restaurant and that would be a crime.

• Visited February 2013
5 Thank Richard O
Hastings, United Kingdom
“mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I feel very ambivalent about my experience. The restaurant was highly recommended by some friends so I can't decide it we went there on a bad day or whether we don't really represent the client group they cater for (not being trendy urbanites).

The ambience was good and the waitress worked hard to make the experience pleasant but it doesn't help when you have to begin by explaining to clients what isn't available!

The restaurant was tiny - much smaller than we had been led to expect by the website. This became an issue when we were asked to move to another table whilst actually drinking our coffee in order to accommodate a larger group who had arrived early for their booking. We were only sitting at a table for two but they wanted to move tables around. The person sitting behind us had already been 'encouraged' , albeit nicely, to finish and leave for the same reason.

The week before we went we had been sent a menu, full of interesting and tasty sounding dishes. The reality was somewhat different. The menu was displayed on a blackboard, most of it taken up by breakfast dishes which were not available. The lunch menu consisted of two mains (standard roast dishes, probably very nice but not particularly interesting when you are hoping for something different) four tapas (but only three were available) and four chiclitti (again only three available). I should add that it was only 1 o'clock, not late, and we had booked. We went for two of the tapas which were very tasty but rather expensive for the quantity, and two of the chiclitti, which turned out to be small slices of toasted bread with a topping - and at £4.00 each very over-priced in our opinion. The food was good - but of a very limited selection and quantity. Also any vegetarian who didn't eat fish would have found very little to eat on the day we visited.

Even the wine list had issues. There was a good beer list, but I chose a glass of red wine. However only two of the reds on the list were sold by the glass and again neither of these was available. Having ordered a beer instead I noticed that in fact there were some house reds available by the glass but listed completely separately and the waitress hadn't pointed this out.

The final straw was the dessert menu. Only three choices, very expensive - and the one I wanted got rubbed off the board just as I was about to order it, and replaced with a very ordinary apple crumble and ice cream.

So although the food we had was good, there were just too many other issues to make us want to visit again.

• Visited January 2013
6 Thank 49JMD
New York City, New York
“This is a brilliant new place in Eastbourne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013 via mobile

We've eaten here many times now and would recommend to anyone wanting to enjoy something special at a reasonable price. Great atmosphere, you feel you could be in central London! The chef certainly knows his stuff and the staff are attentive when you need them without being over you. We've just seen a write up in the ETC magazine that hits the nail on the head... This is an outstanding gem for Sussex and particularly Eastbourne. Well done, Grand Bocca!

2 Thank Gallery513
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Gourmet heaven in Eastbourne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

It's like being at the chef's house while he cooks you his favourite food, which also happens to me my favourite food. The Spanish/ Italian inluenced is food is authentic, gutsy and perfectly seasoned - created by someone who clearly loves good food. Grand Bocca is an innovative eating place and just what we need in Eastbourne. With the very reasonably priced, constantly changing menu, I won't need to go anywhere else.

Visited January 2013