“Worst ever restaurant in Eastbourne”
Review of Grand Bocca - CLOSED

Grand Bocca
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Very poor service. Waited 25 minutes for a drink,waited 2 hours for our mains. Small menu choice not a problem usually but nothing listed they had on! Got the impression if they knew you you got excellent service if not they couldn't be bothered with new customers. With only 16 covers and one sitting why couldn't they cope. Paying £40 a head for 2 courses I was expecting something special. The final straw when I commented that a fifth of a small serving dish was chipped away the waiter said "but it's only a chip Madame it won't kill you" ! It's such a shame because Eastbourne has some truly terrific restaurants this is just not one of them.

4  Thank Lynda C

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Finally, a decent restaurant in Eastbourne!

I booked a table about 10 days' in advance for Valentine's Day with Keith. He was very good to call me back when I called and there was no answer and I didn't leave a message (intending to call again later that day). He said I would be called again before the booked date to advise us of the menu but he didn't - although I wasn't too bothered by that.

The restaurant itself is small but cosy and very atmospheric - the exposed brickwork is lovely. The food was great. The two starters we had of caramelised onion tartlet and scallops were nice and flavourful - my scallops came with apple and a curry vinaigrette which was unusual but worked.

We then had pork belly and cod for our mains; the pork belly had fantastic crackling and the cod had a wonderfully tasty mint vinaigrette. The sage mash, that we both had, was perfect too - great texture and flavour.

Although the waiter was only on his 3rd day he was very courteous and helpful, despite having to deal with a full restaurant by himself.

Overall, we had a lovely meal and would definitely recommend Grand Bocca. Having tried lots of other restaurants in Eastbourne this one delivered on both food and service.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Booked a table for a special anniversary with my wife 2 weeks in advance come the evening and 1 ruddy hour Keith decides he's not going to open due to the lack of bookings.......a very very poor show...it is good food but the service is crap we shall not be booking a table here again.

2  Thank deldebs
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I may just be very unlucky with this place.
I have tried several times to dine here but it is always closed when I fancy eating out. Maybe I should telephone and reserve first.....?
This was my fourth time of trying, this time on a Saturday night at 7.30pm.
I can't fairly give it a mark for food, so I have marked it as 'poor' for our disappointment in it not being open, when you would expect a restaurant to be open.
Sorry guys.

3  Thank J P
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Yet another fantastic meal at Grand Bocca. Eastbourne so needs a top notch place to eat and this is it, we are lucky to live very nearby so can make this a regular treat. The chef has that extra touch which cannot be taught, it in his genes!! If you appreciate good food this is the place
to go. There are plenty of mediocre places to eat in Eastbourne if the position of the menu is your main concern, but we go for the excellent food. Go and enjoy!

1  Thank paula B