“Very dissapointing”

Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Surrey, England
“Very dissapointing”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We have stayed at the Travelodge in Eastbourne for the past few years when attending the tennis Championships at Devonshire Park. It has now been sold by Travelodge and is called The Shoreside Hotel. It has really gone downhill. We arrived this year at around 10.30 pm. Our room had the following defects. (i) The light in the shaver socket light above the bathroom mirror did not work; (ii) the sealant around the top of the bath was black with mould; (iii) the bin in the bathroom was full with sanitary material and other stuff left by previous guests; (iv) the bed was like a trampoline - sit on one side and the person on the other bounced up in the air. It appears that the new owners are about to refurbish the hotel. It needs it. Until then, stay away and go to the Premier Inn - more expensive but worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dandess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Slovak first
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Needing a one night stop on what proved to be a busy weekend due to a tennis tournament I was faced with booking either an expensive top end room or very basic B&B and then stumbled upon the Shore View. Some of the reviews were off putting but the price was very keen. Well it was an excellent choice. We got a recently renovated room which while some of the finishes and details were slightly lacking proved to be clean, comfortable and spacious. Breakfast was included in the price and though they really need to spend a little more on the sausages and the fruit juice, it was perfectly acceptable. Throw in cheerful, helpful and reasonably efficient staff and you've got a hotel which isn't perfect but represents a good location and excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RTSiD
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Hi there

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during the tennis and I'm glad you had enjoyed your time in Eastbourne. It is always lovely to hear compliments about the staff. We are all very committed to providing the best customer service possible and I am glad you appreciated this.

Our breakfast service and offering has improved dramatiacally over the past few weeks, however there still a few changes to be made to make it even better for all our future guests.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Seaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Have stayed in this Hotel probably a dozen times over the last 7 years, always for a week's holiday. First visit was when Travelodge had just taken it over. Have never had a serious problem with the accommodation or staff, although was a little apprehensive as to what we would find this time. Had spoken to Hotel before visit and, knowing the rooms we like, established that we could still have one of these (in fact was told that one of our choices would be just back in commission when we arrived so we would be first occupants - said 'yes please'); also told the staff were same as before. Only downside was that we would have to pay an extra £10 p.n. as sea view room. Wasn't surprised at this as most hotels would have a premium for this, and we had got an extremely good deal for the week having booked at end of last year and they were honouring the booking.
To be honest, over last few years, hotel was looking shabby, but accepted this as room clean and excellent location with good sea views.
The room we had opted for was the smallest of our preferences, but balanced out by fact newly refurbished. Basic fittings retained from before, i.e. bedhead, storage space, desktop, and heater (chipped), but otherwise thick new carpet, new bed, pristine bedding, TWO EASY CHAIRS - bliss (something sorely - no pun intended - lacking in Travelodges!), and a glass-topped table. Useful extras of an ironing board and iron, and a hairdryer, large mirrors and flat-screen TV. If anything let it down, it was the bathroom, which, although appearing to have a new basin and possibly WC, and a lick of paint, had previous shower with mouldy grouting at bottom of tiles, and limescale stained shower head/hose. Thankfully, the shower curtain was obviously new (something which has always been a problem previously). Also the shaver light didn't work, but hasn't on at least our 2 previous stays in this room! There is still no draught excluder around room door, and door to bathroom is at least inch and half proud of floor (they actually took this off on one of our previous stays as door stuck!!). Also towels are definitely not new!
Work is still very much on-going, although didn't inconvenience us at all, nor was there a problem with noise.
Do feel corners are being cut in some areas though (aside from our shower). Whilst we were there new signage was put up internally, but walls behind were not being painted first and old, damaged paintwork was clearly visible, even in corridors on our floor which had been decorated!

As always, if you are staying for more than a couple of nights, there isn't enough storage and this is an issue that needs to be addressed especially if new owners are looking to attract longer stays. In fact, of the 6 plus metal hooks in our room, only 4 actually had hangers.
Also, as with all new carpets, they create a lot of fluff, and it would have been a nice touch if a vacuum had been put around our room during our stay! In fact standard of daily room make-up did vary quite a bit.
Staff, as always extremely pleasant and helpful. They told us morale was high and they liked and were excited about the product they were selling.

Don't quite know what market the Hotel is now going for though, as, whilst added touches put it above your average budget hotel, it's still similar to a better Premier, and, looking at some of the prices quoted, think it could be a bit on high side, although understand there will be deals to be had. There are improvements planned to ground floor with provision of better public areas, including a Lounge.
There is no parking with this hotel, although it is generally possible to get in on the seafront outside at the very reasonable rate of £4 for 24 hours (actually free overnight), although this year was first time we had been during Tennis Week and it was more difficult, but not impossible.
Hope we can afford to return next year!

Room Tip: It's worth paying the extra for a sea view room, and rooms on second floor tend to be larger.
Hi Jeni

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you like the changes we have made to the hotel so far. Having worked for Travelodge previously along with the majority of my staff, it’s great to see some care and attention finally going into the hotel. We have had some great feedback so far which is really promising.

With regards to the internal signage, we are currently in the process of painting behind these to match the new colour. Unfortunately the new walls were painted whilst the old signage was still in place however we are certainly addressing this.

I am sorry your bedroom was not vacuumed properly during your stay. I will address this issue with the housekeeping staff. With regards to storage space in the bedrooms, there are not currently any plans to change this however we do keep spare hangers at reception. We are more than happy to issue these to guests if they require them.

We begin our final phase of the refurbishment tomorrow which will see the transformation of the final 21 bedrooms, the reception area and the introduction of a new lounge area (which I am very excited about.)

Please keep an eye out for our special offers. These will be sent out by email.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

my husband and i have just spent 5 days/4 nights at shorewiew hotel: We arrived 1 hour early,greeted with "you are to early" if you want to get into your room this will cost you £10.00 extra: I said this was unacceptable: Could we leave our luggage there whilst we went for a walk about, we were told NO as this is not the policy of the hotel: We asked where could we stay as the reception area was small, after a chat with another colleague we were told we could sit in the cafe as an after thought. When we found the cafe there was no where to have a drink, dirty cups, no staff: I went back and said I was not at all impressed with (1)the greeting and (2)the state of the cafe. I asked that when the room was ready(without paying £10.00 extra)would one of the staff kindly let us know a.s.a.p When we eventually were allowed into our room: we were apparently going to have one of the new renavated rooms:
The room was in fact turrent shaped with extremely small window one side and 2 small windows around the side: The room was clean, toilet was old: as we were staying 4 nights/5 days I started to unpack: There was no drawers and the smallest cupboard(no doors)to put our clothes into(6 hangers width) Shower although worked ok was far to small with dirty shower curtain: Had we known that the hotel used to be a Travel lodge and only really catered for short visits eg 1/2 days We would have never booked at that Hotel: Breakfast was disgraceful, with no provision for an evening meal:
We made the most of the situation but I would warn people that if you were staying for more that 1/2 nights look elsewhere there are some very reasonable priced Hotels within reach:

Room Tip: Check the reviews and then phone Hotel to make as sure they supply what you need eg breakfast includ...
2 Thank minerva31-13
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Hi there

Thank you very much for writing about your stay with us whilst you visited Eastbourne. I am very sorry to hear that you did not find your stay to be satisfactory. Unfortunately we are very limited with potential areas to provide storage for guest’s luggage at the hotel. It is something we are currently working on and we are very close to preparing an area which would be suitable for guests to leave their luggage behind.

Our restaurant bar area is open throughout the day where we offer a range of alcoholic, non-alochilic, hot and cold beverages. We also serve evening meals between 5pm and 9.30pm however I apologise if this was not communicated to you properly. I am very pleased to tell you that as part of our refurbishment works we will be installing a brand new lounge area. This will allow guests to relax with a drink whilst enjoying views of the fantastic Eastbourne Seafront.

I am also very sorry hear that you did not feel the storage space in your bedroom was sufficient. All our rooms are equipped with a large desk space, wardrobe hanging space and a number of shelves for you store various items of clothing and belongings. If you stay with us in the future, please ask the receptionist for additional hangers and we will be more than happy to be of assistance.

I am sorry to hear that you found your window to be small. If you stay with us again please give us a call prior to your arrival and we will do our best to allocate you a bedroom with a better view. The hotel reception telephone number is 01323 302200.

Finally, I am delighted to inform you that we have now improved our breakfast service, offering a fantastic and much wider selection than ever before. Our dinner service will also be transformed very soon and I am confident that this will be of benefit to all our future guests.

Once again, I am very sorry that we did not fulfil your expectations this time around however I would be delighted if you decided to give us a second chance.

Kind regards, Andy Bruce - General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

As we needed an accessable room pleasantly suprised with the modern newly refurbished room
nothing cheap looking & lovely big new bed. No noise very relaxing.Would be nice to have a more relaxing bigger bar as it doubles for table eating .But as they are spending loads on this hotel sure everything will come together. Hope they dont end up overpricing as the rooms will be better filled being a reasonably priced hotel.Love it would defininitly recommend it. Worth looking or asking about the rooms as relations sea view was a bit more restricted with a small window,but the beach is just accross the road.All main shops & town just along the road too.

1 Thank suemarguerita
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Hi Sue

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Shore View Hotel. It's brilliant to hear that you appreciate the improvements we have made to the bedrooms. The overall feedback from guests has been really encouraging.

I am sure you will be glad to hear that as part of our refurbishment works we will be transforming one of our existing bedrooms on the ground floor into a lounge area. This will allow guests to sit and relax whilst having a drink, enjoying delightful views of the seafront.

With regards to our future pricing, we will be sending regular special offers and discounted rates to all of our guests. These will be sent out by email. If you would like to contact me I would be more than happy to check that we have your correct email address on in our database. My email address is gm@shoreviewhotel.co.uk.

I am sorry to hear that your relative’s window was small and the view was restrictive. When you stay with us again please give us a call and we will do our best to allocate you a bedroom with a better view. The hotel reception telephone number is 01323 302200.

Once again thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

It wasvery bad. Our objetive in this trip it was spend a week end walking and doing several trekking on the Seven Sisters. They didn't want to keep our suitcase neither when we arrive nor when we leave. It is my first time in my life that i have this problem. Finally, after a strong negotiations, because they offered us to pay one night more!!!, we paid 10$£ more, to be until late, 14pm and then they keep it. It was very annoying for me this situacion.
The room is very small, and is not very clean.
There is not gel and shampoo in the bathroom. Don't forget to take yours...

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Munsing
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Hello there

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at the Shore View Hotel. We always do our upmost to ensure guests have a great stay however I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not find your stay to be satisfactory this time.

Unfortunately we are very limited with potential areas to provide storage for guests luggage at the hotel. It is something we are currently considering, however lack of space is one of our key challenges. As an alternative, we offer all guests the opportunity to check in to their rooms early (12pm) or check out of their rooms late (2pm) for additional £10. This can be pre-booked or paid for during your stay.

With regards to the cleanliness of your bedroom, I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me with your reservation details as I would like to investigate this matter further. My personal email address is gm@shoreviewhotel.co.uk.

Finally I would like to assure you that we do have plans to include a shower gel dispenser in the bathrooms as part of the refurbishment. We are currently in the process of talking with suppliers and unfortunately this addition has not yet been added.

Once again I apologise that you had cause to complain about your stay and I hope you would give us a second chance if you were to visit Eastbourne again.

Kind regards, Andy Bruce – General Manager.
Newark
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This is the third year we've used this hotel for the tennis at Devonshire Park, previously as the Travelodge, this year as The Shore View Hotel, seemingly the same business model, but with more committed and motivated staff. All we wanted was a clean and comfortable room to sleep in at a reasonable price - and that's EXACTLY what we got. We ate all our meals out, so I can't comment on the food, but the staff were enthusiastic and invariably helpful. A comprehensive refurbishment is clearly well underway and a systematic program of investment is certainly welcome. The seafront location is ideal for just about everything in Eastbourne and I unequivocally recommend The Shore View Hotel for a low-cost, value-for-money stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DrDarwin
Hello there

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and I hope you had a great time at the tennis!

I am glad we exceeded your expectations and delighted to know you enjoyed your time at the hotel. It is always lovely to hear compliments about the staff. We are all very committed to providing the best customer service possible. It's a very exciting time for us all and it’s wonderful to finally see the hotel being transformed to its full potential.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Just to let you know, we have upgraded our dinner and breakfast service and it would be a pleasure if you chose to eat with us next time.

Thanks again for your kind words.