“Its make your mind up time”
Review of Shore View Hotel

Shore View Hotel
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We booked three nights B & B at the hotel not knowing that it was an ex Travelodge. Nothing against Travelodge but not a brand of our choice.
The location is good and our sea view room was excellent, recently refurbished even to the smell of fresh paint and new carpets.Cleaned daily and fresh towels.
The check in was smooth and generally the staff were very obliging, especially at breakfast.
Breakfast was only okay, you can't have English breakfast without fried eggs and powdered scrambled eggs are a poor substitute.
We enjoyed our stay but three nights was too long here...................fine for an overnight stay but for longer the hotel must provide something more than a bedroom.
If a lounge facility, seating area, proper bar or even entertainment was introduced we would consider staying here again and uplift our current rating. PLEASE KEEP MAKING PROGRESS.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stay in eastbourne all the time we try all different hotels and as my misses is a housekeeper woe betide any hotel (and me) that doesnt come up to scratch.well this hotel wad one of the best.spotless room ,big tv,lovely bed,great view.shame you couldnt open the balcony door but i suspect it is due to eastbournes kamikazi seagulls!! Ive seen em in my room at other hotels seriously!!!
Be prepared though yhe hotel is being refurbished and they do tell you that when you book ,but its just by the beach and absolutly everything you need.Thank you so much to Helen and her team who got my room ready asap while i went into the sea with my body board and made an absolute fool of my self.we will be back A++++

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This hotel is undergoing a transformation from a Travelodge and the plans look good. In the meantime guests should be prepared to be a little understanding bearing in mind the price paid. The prices are comparable with Travelodge prices but once finished the hotel should be a better quality. Our room had not yet been refurbished and was a little tatty.

The location, just a minute or so from Eastbourne pier, is excellent. However, this does mean that parking during the day time isn't easy - its much easier after 6.00pm.

The staff were all very helpful.

We didn't eat at the hotel as prices were a little high and being so close to the seafront and the town centre, there was plenty of choice elsewhere.

All in all, not bad, but hopefully it will be very nice when the refurb is finished.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbed room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

The front of the hotel looks great! We use the bar before 5 tht was a mistake cause the check in staff have to serve you drinks! You have to walk round and asked to be served! The bar area could be much more like a bar we stayed in 109 was nice and big not one of the reservated rooms the walls was dirty shower was very small but the bathroom was big not much wardrobe space but we only stayed one night! Didn't really like the door as it looked like someone had lost the keys or someone had tried to break into the room

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank ruthybby
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Hi Ruth

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us whilst you visited Eastbourne. I am very sorry you were not satisfied with the bedroom. I am however delighted that since you wrote your review this bedroom has now been completely refurbished. With the complete redecoration, recarpeting, brand new bed, brand new mirrors, light fittings curtains, hair dryer, iron and ironing board I am confident that if you were to re-visit us you wouldn't recognise the place!

I am sorry if you were inconvenienced by the service in our bar. Our bar and kitchen staff do not start work until 5pm due to low demand during the day time. For this reason, the reception staff are trained to serve drinks in their absence. This operational decision does not usually cause any hassle to our guests.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again soon as I would love you to see the transformation of the whole hotel which is soon to be complete :-)

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel has been overtaken from Travelodge & is in the middle of a massive refit. I booked this holiday in May. I have stayed numerous times here with Travelodge and it is a great hotel for price, location & staff. We arrived and we where very disappointed we had asked for a sea view. This was not available unless we upgraded £10.00 a night. We where offered a room 109 as the receptionist told us it was a lovely room. We went into the room, we where overlooking the dustbins at the back of the hotel, massive skip and constant noise from worknen. We thought we where not going to be in the room much so it would not effect us, how wrong we where. We could not come back in the afternoon due to the noise and for 2 days we had a cherry picker and a hydraluic lift outside. The major refit would be best done out of season not in the high season. Also we had to avoid workman painting, moving furniture, fitting carpets etc. This was my 1st holiday with my partner, we still had a great time. Hopefully when the work is finished the hotel will be great as the new decor looks lovely. The Manager did refund us for one night, which was a nice gesture. We will be staying again as my family lives in Newhaven. Fingers crossed for our next stay. Thank you to all the staff who every day gave us a smile & cheeryful hello. See you again soon.

Room Tip: Not 109, as this is the back of the hotel over the bins, facing the pub and junction.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cheekymonkey72

Hi there

Thank you for writing about your stay at the Shore View Hotel. I am very sorry you were not allocated a seaview this time around. As you mention in your review, we now charge a £10 supplement for our seaview bedrooms. This is is a similar strategy to that of all other hotels along the sea front but it does guarantee you a spectacular view of the English Channel out of your window!

I would like to apologise again for the disruption caused by our refurbishment works. We wanted to get under way with the changes as soon as possible as some essential works were urgent. We have tried to keep disturbances to a minimum however I am sorry we did not achieve that on this occasion. I am very pleased to tell you that the transformation will be complete by the end of this week :-)

I really look forward to seeing you again soon and I am sure you will appreciate the brilliant changes we have made to the hotel.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Booked this hotel after it came up on my web search for B&B, first impression of room was wow! we have a sea view, things went down hill from there, the room was very small and narrowed at one end, couldn't see the sea as windows were steamed up between the double glazing, we stayed for three nights and could not unpack as hardly any room to put anything, bathroom never got cleaned properly there were hairs on the tiles from other guests, shower was too small and curtain stuck to your body flooding the floor, at the base of the sink pedestal there was an inch gap in the lino revealing floorboards and my worry was water could soak through, only two tea bags left every day and only one bath towel left for the two of us, carpet wasn't vacuumed during our stay, when we booked the hotel we thought we were booking b&b but had to pay nearly £8 each for a disgusting self service breakfast with undercooked mushrooms nasty tasting sausages
and dried out bacon, coffee from a self service machine, if you walk a few yards to Terminus road you will find cafe's who do a wonderful freshly cooked breakfast for half the price.
And lastly we were kept awake by the noisy pub across the road where there was fighting with police in attendance.

Room Tip: Try and find a larger room and eat out.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gerry60
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We always stay here when visiting Eastbourne and love it. The staff,as always,were very welcoming and friendly.The refurb is going well and the new decor, beds, tv etc.. are looking and feeling good. The restaurant area is looking much better and the bar service was great on Friday when we arrived (we only drank in there that, night) drinks brought to our table lovely little touch :). Thanks everyone for a great stay ....see you again in October, if not before :) Thanks for sorting our room out for our next visit so that we get a bath/shower next time, we did request this time when booking but we didn't get one and didn't say anything as we know it's not always possible, but I didn't like being attacked by the shower curtain in the little shower lol. Sindy and Arron (room 306 28th -30th June).

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
ShoreViewHotel, General Manager at Shore View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Hi Sindy and Arron

I was lovely to see you as usual and I'm really glad you like the changes we've made to the hotel so far. The final phase of the refurbishment begins tomorrow and we're all really looking forward to seeing the transformation of reception along with the addition of a brand new lounge area.

I hope you have a fabulous summer now that the warm weather is finally here and we'll see you again in October.