“A blast from the past!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Albany Lions Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Albany Lions Hotel
Ranked #38 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
Lincs
“A blast from the past!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2007

This was a trip for my mother and my brother and sister and I, It was my mothers 80th birthday, the hotel was aware of this
We were staying on friday and saturday nights
First thing was that on booking in, my mother had been placed on the 3rd floor, so we asked for a change and she was moved to a nice roomy bedroom on the 2nd floor along the corridor from me, perfect! Except that my room was small, and my sisters room was smaller! We thought that generally the rooms needed some attention, although clean, the decor was outdated. I had a spa bath in my bathroom, but it smelt badly of "old" water when turned on, I didn't fancy getting in it!
The food was served via buffet style, the hotel was full, so it was busy, there was plenty of food, the choice reasonable
On the saturday night they had prepared a special table for us and arranged a birthday cake which was thoughtful, the sight of the waiters and most of the other diners singing happy birthday was a treat for sore eyes, and a lovely surprise for mum!
A special mention to "Anna" in the retaurant, she was aware of my mothers needs and was very helpful, even getting her evening meal from the buffet for her
In conclusion, Eastbourne is an old seaside town, the hotel matches this, The rooms need a tidy up, the beds ar firm and well used but apart from that we all enjoyed our stay, after all, my mother wants to go back when she is 85!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Buffet style serving in restaurant
  • Stayed November 2007
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
peterborough, england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2007

The ad for our holiday came out of our local newspaper. Travel with Jamesway Travel, hotel and excursions built in, you know the kind of thing.
The Albany (Lions) Hotel is on the seafront, and rooms are supposed to have views of the sea, the street/sea or the town. We got the back yard!
The room was small, the bed was small, the original shower fitting had been broken and another connected up and fitted onto the adjacent wall. It was detachable - self-detachable, when it felt like it! Outside the window was a flat roof with very large pipes coming out, possibly ventilation, or something. It rained hard during the night and these pipes played us a tune with the raindrops. At 7 a.m they started making loud noises which lasted for a good half hour, and the dustbin men had already woken us at 6. It is fair to say we had a disturbed night.
I asked for a change of room which was done without argument. We then had a corner room so we could see the sea, and the street, which was better. We also had shower gels in this room, and a fridge, and it was quite spacious. But the shower unit was self-detachable again, but we had a big bath which was good. We also had a small double bed again. The door handle was detachable on the outside, but thankfully secure on the inside, but the towel heating rail was right next to the loo, and one could face the prospect of second degree burns to ones left buttock if not careful! Fortunately we did not find it necessary to use the drying rail.
Now I did say we went on a coach party, didn't I? - with a bunch of grannies. So we had a problem at mealtimes because the people who got in first for meals on the first night, thought that they had a right sit in the same seats everytime, which seemed to be accepted by the staff, who didn't want us to sit at a vacant window table on the second evening. I had to remind them that I was a guest, and it was a hotel not an old folks home. This did caused a couple of the guests to become perplexed when they came in to breakfast to find interlopers at their table!!
Apart from these small things the dining room staff were very good, and spoke English well, all with different Eastern European accents. The carvery meals were excellent, the breakfast offerings the same, and it was a pleasant stay overall,
but if travelodges and premierlodges can provide large rooms and large beds then surely a 3-star hotel can do the same.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank grumpyoldbloke

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2006

We have just returned from a weekend break at the Albany Lions Hotel in Eastbourne. Our rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable. The staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel does seem to have been 'renovated' on the cheap, however, with some very dodgy workmanship in evidence. The standard of the rooms varies, the rooms facing the sea seemed large and roomy, however much of the hotel does seem rather tired. My daughter was shown her room which absolutely reeked of urine and there was no way she could stay in there, she was (thankfully) moved to a room downstairs facing the town. Her shower in this room, unfortunately, blocked and the water went through to the room downstairs, which caused a bit of a commotion and embarrassment for my daughter!! The breakfast was very good, I thought better than that served in the Cavendish, with prompt service and plenty to eat, all of which was hot and appetising. The majority of the guests were of an older generation which did give the place the air of an old people's home, we were there with children but the staff were very friendly and accommodating of them, however, we did feel a bit out of place. The other guests had written glowing reports in the guest book and had obviously really enjoyed staying in this hotel. It does seem like a very good hotel for coach tours.

• Liked — The location and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — The smelly bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Mrs.Potts
thurrock essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2006

99% oap coach trippers.good location.rooms little tired and very warm!staff friendly and breakfast good.value for money.town itself not recommended.try brighton or hastings instead.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2005

We took a Turkey and Tinsel group to the Albany at the end of nov.

there were 26people and all of whom had a fantastic time.

rooms were roomly and comfortable.

the hotel was supurb and very clean and tidy, the food was lovely and staff were very friendly and courteous.

we would recommend to everyone, and would definatly return.

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2005

Firstly we couldn't park our car near to the hotel; the receptioninst shrugged this off as 'normal'. She offered no solution to this whatsoever. We arrived in reception to a swathe of shell suited people; who all stared at my wife and I' probably due to not being in a football shirt or tracksuits.
The bottom of the main staircase was gaffer taped due to wear and tear. There was a stairlift but bizarrely no disabled entrance; neither ramp nor lift to acces from the street to the reception area. So my mum couldn't get in to sample the 'superb roast dinners' cited in the other review of this hotel. So we cancelled that booking.
I am six foot four tall; on arriving in the room I could virtually touch each wall in our very small cramped room. The hotel reeked of decline and of no attempt to improve it.
I'll never, ever, go near it again.
We stayed in The Grand for £40 more and got a junior suite!

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business