“A lovely stay”
Review of Albany Lions Hotel

Albany Lions Hotel
Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I had my wedding reception here on the 6th july 2012 and stayed overnight.
The staff were fantastic and the management couldn't do enough to help. Myself and my new husband had a wonderful evening, the ballroom was large and grand and we were able to decorate it as we liked with our flowers from the day, the feedback from my guests was that they had all had a great time.

Our room was lovely, clean and had a great sea view. The bed was very comfortable, the breakfast in the morning was great, a large selection of items was available.

All in all we had a fabulous wedding evening and a lovely stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura H

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Myself and 3 friends had a great time staying here for just one night. It's got a good a sensibly priced bar that has a really nice view towards the pier, the town centre is walking distance and apart from the night porter who was not going to let all of us back in at 2am all the other staff were more than helpful. My kipper for breakfast was first class and i'd love to visit again!

All these other people that say the building was tired ought to measure the standard of their weekend by how much they crack a smile and not by how often they see a crack in a bathroom tile!

Room Tip: Our room was massive with 4 single beds at the back but was light and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andytheestateagent
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The location of this hotel is directly opposite the beach with parking bays all the way along. Very close to the bandstand, pier, town, theatres and western lawns where lots of events take place. There are several stops very close by for the 'dotto' train which runs along the seafront at regular intervals and the open top bus which runs every half an hour in the summer season up to Beachy Head.

The standards of cleanliness in the hotel are excellent throughout.

The staff throughout the hotel are all very pleasant and helpful.

The hotel is decorated with some nice features but there are some areas where some simple maintenance is needed to update things. The only real negative point about this hotel is that as they cater a lot for coach parties, some people may be seated in the restaurant amongst others on one of the long tables as there are few individual dining tables.

Facilities for the disabled seems very good. There are stair lifts to every floor (as well as the standard lift) and there were unobtrusive grab rails in the bath/shower and at the toilet in a standard room. Staff are very willing to accomodate individual needs.

There is a lovely bar, lounge, conservatory and ballroom. However, during our stay there was some entertainment which seemed popular mainly with the coach parties in the bar and the ballroom did not seem to be used.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank cw227
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I visited the hotel for a wedding reception on 7th July 2012. The entrance from the seafront was in need of decoration.We were shown to a series of public rooms towards the rear of the Hotel. One room had two expelair type fans on the wall, both filled with paper. The carpet looked new, but the rest of the decor was kitch and cheap. Plastic flowers were on display and cheap looking ones at that. The genreal decor was poor, amateur and not what should be experienced from a Hotel in such a prime position. The two bar staff serving the wedding party were both seriously lacking in training. One of the guests said to me "You dont pour a pint of Cider like that." The other barman was frankly rude at times, and didnt seem to realise that he was there to serve, rather to do a job. If I had booked this for my holiday I would have been very disapointed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Andrew L
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stayed at the Albany Lions in 2008 and really enjoyed my stay, so had no hesitation in booking again for a recent stay. However, I certainly won't be booking again! I was initially given a room on the 3rd floor at the back; right outside the window was a dirty ledge with half a dozen cooing pigeons roosting on it. I asked if a different room was available and was offered a twin room on the 1st floor. It was much, much more spacious and was visually much more appealing, but there was a lingering smell of stale cigarette smoke in the soft furnishings which, for a non-smoker, was very unpleasant. And there was a whole catalogue of other things that I really disliked... When I returned to the hotel at about 10:00pm I asked in the bar if I could order a coffee. I was told that 'as it was quiet' the barman would get me some, but that they shouldn't really serve it after 5:00pm... The mirror in the lift was broken and stuck together with parcel tape... The fire doors didn't appear to close properly... The sensor lights only came on after you had walked under them, so most of the time you were walking along very dark hall ways... The loo paper was about the thinnest and cheapest they could provide... The breakfast? Well, if you like tinned mandarin oranges, tinned tomatoes, cheap baked beans and greasy hashbrowns this is the place for you. The people at a neighbouring table were commenting about the eggs (which I didn't try) saying they thought the hotel had probably bought 12 eggs for the price most of us would pay for one. The toaster either gave you bread or burnt toast. I could go on, but I think you've probably got the gist. This hotel is in a prime position, but is an embarrassment to Eastbourne and British tourism.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Linda D
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We have just returned home from a weekend trip to this Hotel, we attended a Hotsteps dance school social weekend.
From the moment we checked in we were made to feel welcome. Having been to this hotel before we were keen to have the same room. I emailed the hotel a few days before our trip and explained were the room was and we were given it without any problems.
The receptionist ( a young asian lady with a very pretty face) was most welcoming and helped with the parking and offered help with our case.
The rooms in this hotel are very individual some are smaller than others and some have better furnishings than others but all the rooms we have seen look comfortable. There are areas that could do with decorating but if this is not a priority to you then this is an excellent hotel.
The food is plentiful and there is a good selection with helpful friendly staff at all times. All the staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome.
Thank you for a very pleasent,comfortable stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: room 103 is a large twin with a side view of the sea
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank QueenIsis
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Stayed at Albany Lions for a family wedding. Really impressed with the hotel and staff. Food was excellent and room and beds very comfortable. Lovely big opening windows to let the fresh sea air in. Sorry to leave. Would most definately return.

Room Tip: Seafront room 110 was big, bright and airy. Very little noise from seafront. Prime view over beach f...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family