“Viewing rooms”
Review of Albany Lions Hotel

Albany Lions Hotel
Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Visited Eastbourne on 29th June on the off chance of booking a couple of rooms for my husband & I & son, daughter in law & child. The rooms were very expensive, luckily we were shown one room by a very nice member of staff, roundabout 5pm, walking along the corridors wasn't very impressive, skirtings looked like they needed a good coat of paint. The room was awful, everything looked like it needed a good clean, the cleaning room doors were open, they were to be desired. We were then going to be shown the family room, the member of staff that was showing us round opened 2 different room doors, then said the housekeeper didn't let her know they were either occupied or needed cleaning. Luckily they didn't have room for us, think we would have been well disappointed & a complete waste of money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandra R

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights no keys for windows porter said hotel staff lost them, can open only one window in the conservatory.
Bedroom room 310 no hot water and toilet won't flush, I told the staff no one cares here. They have a fan you turn it on at the wall smells like the sires oh my.
Cleaner didn't replace towels or toilet rolls, milk forget it I had to keep calling the staff. The lift kept saying out of order, then it was okay, it's faulty the staff kept sayin oh no ignore that will be okay.
I was totally ripped of at this hotel mrs s goodwins

Room Tip: View the hotel and room before you stay I was ripped off
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank sharon g
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Have recently stayed at this hotel and found it very nice. We had a second floor sea view room which was very spacious and very comfortable beds and lovely plump pillows. The hospitality tray was replenished each day and had a nice choice of biscuits too. The bath/shower rom was adequate, spotlessly clean and good quality fluffy white towels.
We were staying on B and B terms so cannot comment on evening meals, but breakfast was excellent, plenty to choose from, cereals, juice, muesli, etc and then we opted for a full English which was excellent and good quality herby sausages which we really enjoyed, coffee was good quality fresh ground too. The staff were very attentive, polite and helpful. We loved the rich deep carpets throughout and gold paint decor, gave a feel of real luxury at an affordable price.
We hope to return again soon, thank you for a lovely stay .
It is a beautiful old building with original features which adds to its character.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank SANDS22
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for an event weekend. The hotel is very nicely situated on the seafront, close to the pier, and the shopping centre of Eastbourne. Right from our arrival we were made very welcome, with a cup of tea, and then shown to our rooms. This is what I would call a rabbit warren hotel, with rooms popping up in the most unexpected places. We were given room 2128, which was situated on a mezzanine floor between floors 2 and 3. A twin bedded room, we found the room was well appointed with twin beds, a huge shower room, and plenty of clothes space. Along with this was a tray with all tea/coffee making facilities, but far more important, my favourite biscuits, Bourbon Creams. The dining room was impressive with the food being even more so. Breakfast and Dinner were carvery style, but there was no restriction on how much you wanted to eat, and the desserts were to die for. Special thanks must go to Dina the restaurant supervisor, who handled her staff with quiet authority. The bar in the evening was well priced, and the barman was very friendly and helpful (Sorry Armenia didn't win the Eurovision song contest, he voted about 5 times). The ballroom where our event was held was spacious, and easily accessible. All in all a very successful weekend, and worth staying at the bAlbvany Lions Hotel. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front for a good view of Eastbourne seafront.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RichardWynne
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I booked to stay at this establishment over Easter weekend, and cannot have wished for a better stay. My room was clean and tidy and the staff were both helpful and polite. I will return in the near future. The food was also very good, A thumbs up from me.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Alex H
Reviewed 14 April 2014

As other reviews have pointed out this hotel is tired and needs a facelift both inside and out. However, this is not the main issue that guests will have to face if travelling independently. I stayed with my Mum for six nights on a bed and breakfast basis. We each had a double room with sea view. These rooms were advertised on the internet as being for single occupancy. The two rooms were similar in many respects, My Mum's having a large bathroom but my own was like a long tunnel and you had to edge sideways to get past the sink to the shower. There was no window in my bathroom and the fan, which should have activated on switching on the light, did not work. My Mum's room was more spacious than mine and seemed to have been updated in some ways, for example new bedside lamps and a more modern fridge. The fridges in both rooms were very useful during our stay. Outside both rooms there were balconies which could not be entered from the rooms. Mine had a dead bird and a broken strip light lying on it. This was not a pleasant sight. Both rooms were clean and well presented though some redecoration might not go a miss as there was marked wall paper and holes where things had been taken down and moved.Wardrobes were made out of plywood and were very basic.Tea and coffee making facilities were available in the rooms.

During most of our stay the hotel was full with two tour parties. This meant that the seating areas and dinning room were very full. The seats in communal areas were very worn and could do with replacing. Service in the dinning room was good whilst the parties remained in the hotel but once they left on the Friday there was a dramatic deterioration in the quality of the breakfast provided and the service was poor due to the fact that the receptionist had to come into the dinning room to see if we were OK as no waitress was available. I asked for tea as did the other guests and the young woman seemed quite surprised that drinks had not been offered to us, however to her credit she did get things sorted out. The breakfast buffet was extremely limited and dried up on the Saturday morning and when I voiced my concern it was not taken seriously. On the Sunday morning we were asked what we wanted in terms of cooked food. My sausages were clearly those that had been out the previous day and were not a patch on the ones provided during the week.

Once the coach groups had left the hotel the bar was not reopened in the evenings and guests on half board had to walk to another hotel for their evening meal. the atmosphere was poor and to put it bluntly we did not feel welcome. The guests left in the hotel clearly were not worth the full hotel facilities. This hardly makes you feel a valued guest.

At the end of our stay it became clear that the balance of the bill;I had only paid a deposit over the phone, had been taken from my credit card an hour before we had arrived but this was not mentioned to me on booking in. The credit card slip was only given to me on check out because I asked for it. I was not happy that they had helped themselves to the money and had seen fit not to mention it. I expected to have to settle the bill on arrival but quite clearly they could not wait to carry out the transaction in a business like way.

My advice is only stay in this hotel if you have to and you are part of a coach trip. Any independent travellers out there who are thinking about staying, find somewhere else where your custom will matter and you will be valued as a paying guest.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Scotsflower2014
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hotel is extremely shabby and in dire need of refurbishment - peeling paint, very obvious water damage to some ceilings, and worn carpets.
The pillows are cheapest of the cheap - thin and rock hard. I actually went and bought one from a local shop as I couldn't sleep with those provided.
Although the food was generally okay in both quality and range, the individual cartons of butter provided in the restaurant were 23 days past their "Use by" date. I pointed this out but not sure what was done about it.
Whichever receptionist is on duty has her meals (breakfast, dinner, whatever) at the desk so you run the risk of catching her with her mouth full. Just seems a bit unprofessional.
Good things - location, pleasant restaurant staff, okay food.
Only went there because it was the venue for a course we were attending. Wouldn't return from choice.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple