“enjoyed it!”
Review of Albany Lions Hotel

Albany Lions Hotel
Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel two weeks ago with my husband.
According to the previous reviews the hotel is disgusting and awful. I feel sorry for those who had bad experience of their stay. Nevertheless I wouldn't judge it by those comments as it would not be fair. Usually people don't have time to share their experience unless they have something to complain about. So, I decided to give my word and share that I really enjoyed my stay at the Albany!
The hotel isn't new, so the expectations were not too high. The hotel has 3 stars only. Not 5! The staff were very friendly and they work really hard to please guests even though sometimes it is very difficult in terms of some conditions and customers' expectations.
I would recommend this hotel to anybody who doesn't search for perfection but enjoys life and people.

Room Tip: always put all the requests you want during booking in order to avoid disappointments!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Christina168

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay, b & b, having paid an inflated walk in rate due to the Airshow, staying in room 307 (the one with the gold footstool and Jacuzzi bath they use in promotional photos on their website). We paid £260 but the same two days next week is £216. The landing smelled damp outside the room but the room itself was pleasant and clean and has a sea view. Breakfast was acceptable, finished at 9:30 and check out is 10am. There was no hot water for our morning shower on departure day. We rang reception but it was not rectified for us. We asked for some of our money to be refunded on departure - the receptionist has no authority to do this and no management is on site or available. We discovered we were one of many to make this complaint and their boiler has needed attention for a while, and confirmed having just read a tripadvisor review dated June 2014 for a stay May 2014. Apparently the boiler is turned off at ten minute intervals because it's making such a racket (receptionist not the whistle-blower). We will be writing to the owners and emailing the manager to further our complaint.

Room Tip: View before accepting
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jhjg2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed for two nights and thought the hotel was ok. Very hot room with difficult to use shower but clean and tidy. No wifi In room but was in the lobby which was inconvenient but not the end of the world. Not a very good bar and would not recommend, breakfast ok but felt under pressure because of the group bookings in the hotel taking up the room in the very cramped restaurant. Very nice and attentive staff and I did not mind being woken by a pigeon in my room at 5.30am! The hotel caters for pensioners very well but not really up to speed for anyone else, although I thought the hotel was ok for two nights I felt pressured to check in, eat and leave on demand and this is why these types of places end up in a Bill Bryson book.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nick K
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Visited Eastbourne on 29th June on the off chance of booking a couple of rooms for my husband & I & son, daughter in law & child. The rooms were very expensive, luckily we were shown one room by a very nice member of staff, roundabout 5pm, walking along the corridors wasn't very impressive, skirtings looked like they needed a good coat of paint. The room was awful, everything looked like it needed a good clean, the cleaning room doors were open, they were to be desired. We were then going to be shown the family room, the member of staff that was showing us round opened 2 different room doors, then said the housekeeper didn't let her know they were either occupied or needed cleaning. Luckily they didn't have room for us, think we would have been well disappointed & a complete waste of money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandra R
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights no keys for windows porter said hotel staff lost them, can open only one window in the conservatory.
Bedroom room 310 no hot water and toilet won't flush, I told the staff no one cares here. They have a fan you turn it on at the wall smells like the sires oh my.
Cleaner didn't replace towels or toilet rolls, milk forget it I had to keep calling the staff. The lift kept saying out of order, then it was okay, it's faulty the staff kept sayin oh no ignore that will be okay.
I was totally ripped of at this hotel mrs s goodwins

Room Tip: View the hotel and room before you stay I was ripped off
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank sharon g
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Have recently stayed at this hotel and found it very nice. We had a second floor sea view room which was very spacious and very comfortable beds and lovely plump pillows. The hospitality tray was replenished each day and had a nice choice of biscuits too. The bath/shower rom was adequate, spotlessly clean and good quality fluffy white towels.
We were staying on B and B terms so cannot comment on evening meals, but breakfast was excellent, plenty to choose from, cereals, juice, muesli, etc and then we opted for a full English which was excellent and good quality herby sausages which we really enjoyed, coffee was good quality fresh ground too. The staff were very attentive, polite and helpful. We loved the rich deep carpets throughout and gold paint decor, gave a feel of real luxury at an affordable price.
We hope to return again soon, thank you for a lovely stay .
It is a beautiful old building with original features which adds to its character.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank SANDS22
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for an event weekend. The hotel is very nicely situated on the seafront, close to the pier, and the shopping centre of Eastbourne. Right from our arrival we were made very welcome, with a cup of tea, and then shown to our rooms. This is what I would call a rabbit warren hotel, with rooms popping up in the most unexpected places. We were given room 2128, which was situated on a mezzanine floor between floors 2 and 3. A twin bedded room, we found the room was well appointed with twin beds, a huge shower room, and plenty of clothes space. Along with this was a tray with all tea/coffee making facilities, but far more important, my favourite biscuits, Bourbon Creams. The dining room was impressive with the food being even more so. Breakfast and Dinner were carvery style, but there was no restriction on how much you wanted to eat, and the desserts were to die for. Special thanks must go to Dina the restaurant supervisor, who handled her staff with quiet authority. The bar in the evening was well priced, and the barman was very friendly and helpful (Sorry Armenia didn't win the Eurovision song contest, he voted about 5 times). The ballroom where our event was held was spacious, and easily accessible. All in all a very successful weekend, and worth staying at the bAlbvany Lions Hotel. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front for a good view of Eastbourne seafront.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple