“Stunning room, stunning views, great staff”
Review of East Beach Hotel

East Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Stunning room, stunning views, great staff”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We booked a luxury suite and what a suite it was! We had a corner room with a balcony on two sides, a double Jacuzzi bath (with TV!) and a huge TV in the room.

The staff were very friendly. Breakfast was perfect. Perfect, cheesy entertainment in the evening.

Only complaint was that the Jacuzzi didn't work (we flooded the whole bathroom because it leaked so badly and none of the jets worked) and that's the main reason we booked the luxury suite. However, everything else more than made up for it. Will definitely revisit this hotel!

Room Tip: Definitely worth booking the luxury suite. STUNNING!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lou Y
TheEastBeachHotel, Manager at East Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Guest,

We are so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. The jacuzzi issue is solved now but thank you for your comments. Thank you again and we are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Never have I stayed in such an awful place!!

We were shown to our room which on first sight looked ok.

Then on closer inspection firstly, the window had towels round it to stop the draft from coming in.

Hardly any chanels worked on the TV.

We started to fill the bath as had paid the extra for the room upgrade due to the jacuzzi bath and tv in the bathroom, room 17. Whilst filling the bath, we checked the TV which did not work as a TV. We put a DVD in the DVD player and this did not work properly either. We turned on the jets before getting in and there was an awful smell of sewerage and then bits floating in the bath!! i went down to reception to complain and the receptionist came and looked and observed the bits in the bath together with the smell. She offered to clean out the bath and said she was not happy with it. I said to her that I did not wish to use the bath after this anyway due to the smell and she agreed that she would not want to use a bath that smelt of sewerage either. I informed her that I wanted my money back that I had paid for the upgrade as the facilities on the upgrade were unusable. I was told I would have to wait until 11pm for the manager to return from a meeting before this could be agreed which meant we couldnt settle because we were thinking we may not even get our money back and would have to get up to speak to the manager at 11. I was then offered to move rooms to the room next door which I believe was a suite or at least use the facilities so we could wash. We were left with the key for the other room. The bath in there which was lovely looking had broken jets and we were told they were not being replaced either. The bath was full of grit in the bottom which I cleaned out before trying to fill. However, after running the tap for some time the water was cold. I tried the shower, the water trickled out and was cold!

After yet another trip downstairs I was offered two other rooms, one on the bottom floor which was just disgusting, clearly not yet renovated. The other room was the next one along from the suite to use the hot water, this had to be run for a long time in order for the water to come out. The fact of having to check several rooms before even being able to establish if there was anywhere to wash was just terrible, never have I been to such a place! This was meant to be a relaxing night away, which it totally was not!

wesbite advertises
"Our refurbished rooms include luxury suites and four-poster beds, high quality fabrics and furnishings, mini-bar and feature toiletries from Gilcrest and Soames."

I have no idea where that came from, the room was refurbished!! The bath was old, dirty and stank and didnt even work properly, nor did the tv!! There was not Gilcrest and Soames products in our bathroom nor in the suite.

"The luxury suites and four-posters have beautifully appointed bathrooms with two person Jacuzzi baths and even a flat screen TV with DVD player to enjoy while you relax."
At no point did i enjoy or relax!!! The jacuzzi didnt work in the suite and the TV did not work in the luxury room

I am in no way complaining about the receptionist that evening because I believe she did everything she could to help, the state of the hotel was beyond her control.

We thought lets try breakfast this could be the saving grace. The staff member there was completely miserable and uninformative. She needs to learn customer service skills. I had to ask if we could just sit anywhere or we had to be seated and she said you sit here. Instead of being offered tea or coffee, we were asked you want your coffee now? We were not told what the procedure was for breakfast or told we could go and help ourselves to juice and cerals or offered condiments with our cooked breakfast. She was hardly rushed off her feet with only one other couple present, a little bit of customer service or even a smile or manners would not go a miss!!

The rest of the hotel was generally dirty with dust and grit all over the stairs. I understand that refurbishment is going on but maybe it would be wise to close at this quiet period to complete this rather than let your guests stay in this state, this can not be good for future business. I certainly would not recommend to anyone.

The website advertises that it featured on hotel inspector and underwent renovation, god knows where or what it was like before!

I was refunded my £30 room upgrade price and have complained to the hotel, awaiting a response.

I use tripadvisor all the time but this is the first review i have ever written as i felt it could not be left unsaid!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank tashablonde
London
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We bought a Groupon voucher for a stay at this hotel and had low expectations after reading previous reviews online. However we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is situated about a 10-15 minute walk away from the centre of town, but if the weather is nice it's a very enjoyable walk along the beach.
We arrived at the hotel before the check in time but were allowed to check in with no problems. We stayed in room 14 which had a sea view. The bathroom was located within what looked like a wardrobe, toilet in one door and shower in another. All worked fine and the shower was quite powerful. But if you are tall you might find it a bit tight. One night there was rain and high winds, there was a small gap between one of the windows and frames this meant that we had a draught coming in that made the curtains blow around. Obviously we did stay in December so the weather should hopefully be better if visiting in summer.
Breakfast was good, helped ourselves to cereal and juices and the cooked breakfast arrived quickly. More toast and tea/coffee was available if you wanted.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachel J
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

A really nice hotel, our room was a double, the bed was soft and comfy the room was clean and the bathroom was modern and quite new. The entrance to the hotel was really pretty with lots of minature decorative christmas trees and elegant furniture. It was really warm and cosy and would have been a great place to sit, have a drink and admire the direct sea view if we had of had more time. It was a crisp, cold afternoon but very sunny, I wish we had got there earlier to enjoy it. Adequate breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012

having just returned from a T/Tinsel W/end at this hotel (our original hotel having gone bankrupt!) I cannot fault this hotel who at very short notice did accommodate our party of 25 .Within 2hrs getting us settled into our rooms and providing an excellant dinner plus entertainment! This superb service, great food -with a good choice, cleanliness, and friendly staff .made this a great holiday - on behalf of our party organisor Mrs Joy Agg and the rest of our party grateful thanks to Heidi and all the staff--Joan H-Worcester,

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My friend and I have just returned from a Turkey and Tinsel weekend. The original hotel we were supposed to go to had gone bankrupt when we arrived so we were all rather worried and thought we faced a long journey back home. East Beach opened up for us and made us all very welcome. Heidi, Sarah and all the other staff made our stay really enjoyable. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was excellent and so was the entertainment. Bearing in mind that they took us all in at the last moment, nothing was spared and they organised everything so quickly and professionally. We even had an unexpected visit and a present and card from Santa. Well done to them all for pulling it together as they did. I wish them all the best and I would certainly stay there again. I was glad the venue was changed.
K and B

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

So glad I disregarded the derogatory reviews and went ahead with this 3 night break.
I almost cancelled thanks to some poor reviews. We had a great time and everything was so good. Reception staff could not have been more helpful. Sara came onto coach and gave a welcome speech whilst porters unloaded cases and took them to our rooms.
Rooms were clean,comfortable and warm. Food was excellent, hot and quickly served. Bar prices were very reasonable and again Sara was so friendly. Fri nights entertainment brought on a singalong which brought the house down. The entertainment Sun night had us all in stiches. Apart from the weather this was a really good short winter break. Hotel was clean and everthing worked just as it should. Thanks again to Sara as she is a very professional hotel manager although all the staff were welcoming and helpful.
The Colonel

Room Tip: Some rooms are still under refurbishment but we looked in several as they were being cleaned and the...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends