Afton Hotel
Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 27 August 2013

What can I say,stayed 7 nights at this lovely hotel,we had a first class room with flat screen tv and en-suite bathroom ,the room had a balcony overlooking the pier the perect location for us with lots to see and do all week including the airshow. The room was clean and comfortable,a fantastic cleaner who kept the room spotless as well as being a very pleasant girl
The hotel is very well managed with friendly and helpful staff on reception, the waiter we had serving us went out of is way to please everybody.
The meals were very well prepared and delicious with a meat,fish and vegetarian option.
Nightly entertainment as well as free WiFi downstairs.
We would definately use this hotel again Top Marks and Thank you ALL for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: A room in the front is an advantage.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dia1389
fiorenzuola, Owner at Afton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

How wonderful that you enjoyed your stay so much. Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to make any future stay just as successful.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Just returned home from the Afton after a blissful ten day break. Home from home comfort, food plentiful, fresh and a wide selection. All staff polite, cheerful and always helpful which makes a happy atmosphere for all guests. Room was kept spotless with fresh linen by hardworking housekeeping staff, nothing was too much trouble, a happy bunch!
Afton is my Gold Standard hotel, Eastbourne's Secret!

Thank you for a lovely holiday.
Sylvia

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sylvia V
fiorenzuola, Owner at Afton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Getting such a great review like yours makes all our efforts seem worthwhile and it's put a huge smile on my face. I'll make sure that all the staff are aware of your kind comments.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

A relative in Eastbourne booked the Afton for us, and having read the reviews I was looking forward to our 3 night stay. On arrival I was still feeling positive, and the gentleman on reception was very helpful, particularly when I asked if there were 2 rooms available instead of the family room which had been booked for us. There were 3 reasons why I requested a change of room. Firstly the bunk beds were EXTREMELY rickety, they literally rocked when they were gently pushed. Secondly, the room was very warm and as it looked out onto a roof, had very little air flow. We were given the last fan but it was a tiny thing and not fit for purpose. Thirdly, the room was VERY tatty with marks on the walls and a stained carpet.
To be honest, the double and twin room we were then given were equally tatty but we had little choice but to accept them. I was very disappointed to see that the carpets in both rooms had burn marks and lots of staining, the bed sheets had large rips in them and the chairs were also stained. The hotel beyond the reception area is in DIRE need of redecorating, refurbishing and a deep clean.
To further spoil our stay, the noise outside the hotel on 2 of the 3 nights was horrendous. It wasn't just a case of a few people leaving the pier late on, it was hoards of people shouting and swearing beyond 2am! I realise that there is little the hotel can do about this aside from installing air conditioning and fitting double glazed windows but I think it needs mentioning.
Finally, the breakfasts let the hotel down. The cutlery and crockery wasn't particularly clean, the coffee served was clearly a cheap brand and the food was average at best.
The one saving grace were the staff, most of whom were very helpful. Unfortunately they can't make up for the very tired state of the hotel or the noise issues.

Room Tip: Although a sea view is lovely it also means that you are opposite the pier which means a lot of nois...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Odette S
fiorenzuola, Owner at Afton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

I'm so very sorry that your visit was disappointing. I'm aware that some of our rooms need updating and I am actively investing in doing this now by renewing carpets and so on. Unfortunately, we were full when you arrived and there were few rooms left. There is certainly no need for ripped sheets and this is the first time I've ever been aware of this. I have passed on your comments to the housekeeper. The same goes for the cutlery which you said wasn't clean - there is no excuse for this and i am following it up. Most people seem to enjoy the food at breakfast which is plentiful and fresh. We have more sophisticated coffee available in the bar upstairs.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Afton is a perfectly good hotel, a bit dated but very clean. It caters more to the older guest.

What is exceptional about this hotel is the manager. I had called to book a room a week before I arrived.. a very busy time as it was the Tennis championship. When I arrived there was some confusion about my booking and it had not been processed into the system. The person on duty allowed me to stay the first night even though I wasn't on the system, so I could sort with the manager in the morning. The manager went out of her way to accommodate me. For part of my week's stay I stayed at the Afton, and when she was physically unable to find a room for me, she ensured another hotel nearby would provide a room at the same price. And it was a very reasonable price she had agreed.

I would highly recommend this hotel for the service and friendliness they provide. I stay at many hotels for work purposes and this one stood out for this reason. I would definitely stay again.

I would highly recommend

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a juliet balcony that faces the pier... lovely view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank lizlondonliz
fiorenzuola, Owner at Afton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

I'm very pleased that you found the staff to be so helpful and I hope you'll be able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed at the Afton in May with my Partner and Daughter. All the staff were very welcoming which made our stay enjoyable. Hotel was clean, although room was quite small and slightly tired looking, however it was quiet, comfortable and only for one night. Breakfast was average but with a reasonable choice for both adults and children. Hotel was very near seafront and Manager gave us a parking token for less than £2 for 24 hours so that was a bonus.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and hotel was acceptable for the price we paid.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Saffiah2007
fiorenzuola, Owner at Afton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that when you describe our breakfast as "average" you mean that our breakfast is the "usual" traditional style of breakfast.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Our stay at the Afton Hotel was excellent. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. Our double room was very spacious, nicely decorated and clean. The full English breakfast and the 3 course dinners were delicious. Entertainment is provided in the bar every night. The hotel is in a great location; opposite the Pier, in walking distance to the High Street and Devonshire Park. I would strongly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ese_Michelle
fiorenzuola, Owner at Afton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for your excellent review, it's much appreciated.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on trip advisor.My Dad is 82 and wanted to return to Eastbourne fora holiday.My husband and I had never been but we will be going again
The Afton is a well run, clean and friendly hotel,The food is good and all roubd we got value for money. It's also near to all amenities.
Our shower worked well, too

Room Tip: We had a room with patio windows leading to a balcony on the front of the hotel, it was a good size...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Eileenoldham
fiorenzuola, Owner at Afton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thank you for your great review. I'm glad your shower was OK. Almost all our showers are very efficient but there is one or two on the third floor which are causing problems. It's to do with our new 'state of the art' boilers and the water pressure, but we're hoping that the teething problems get sorted out soon.