“An excellent place to stay”

The Devonshire Park Hotel Eastbourne
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Eastbourne
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“An excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

This the second time I have stayed at the Devonshire Park Hotel this year and and on both occasions I have been made to feel extremely welcome. I have also been impressed by the quality of management and attention to helping customers with their enquiries and needs. The breakfasts are fantastic too!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here for a week early September and would definitely go again. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, the hotel itself is spotless throughout, and the food is excellent. We had both breakfast and dinner and after a full English did not need to eat again until dinner, which was also very good. An added bonus is free coffee and mints served in the bar after your evening meal - not something I have come across in other hotels. The hotel is only a short stroll from the prom and all the theatres

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be less noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank walkerWestYorkshire
Stoke Poges
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I and a friend over from USA just stayed 2 nights on DBB on our first visit to Eastbourne. We picked this hotel because of the good reports on this site. The 2nd night we were the last down to dinner and were treated rudely. On arrival there was no greeting or conversation about our day, the weather or other friendly service. It was clear the waitress wanted us processed and out so she could get away. We were offered a poor bread selection and said we could wait for a new batch, delaying her more. As other diners left she noisily laid their tables with cutlery, crockery and glassware for breakfast. With crash bang all around us, we mistakenly asked her to be quieter. We were the paying guests, had booked a suite, had ordered the extra charge food specials on the menu and wine and we wanted to enjoy our, not inexpensive, meal. The complaint escalated to a noisy exchange and I apologise to the sole remaining other diner on the other side of the restaurant for this. A request to speak to management was turned down as they had left for the day. Thankfully the night porter sorted us out with a dessert. On checking out the next morning the General Manager had no interest in my point of view or continued custom and had determined I was to blame for any altercation. I suggested that this led me to believe the customer care problem started with his attitude and the response was, "and ends with me".

Room Tip: The Garden suite was a nice enough room and delivered what we wanted.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AdgeStokePoges
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I went to Eastbourne last week with my family,and we stayed in this hotel for 3 nights.
Before going there,we read the reviews here, and we were expecting the best.and thats what we got in general! we arrived about 40min before the check in time, and the staff super friendly, allowed us to check in right away and go to our room before the normal check in time.
the building itself, its beautiful. a classic 19th century victorian style, inside very classic style, very british. the room, it was very good, we were surprised, very good for a triple room, it came a nice shower and bath, equipped with towels,shampoos, and others products that you might need to use.
it was very hot, so we were a bit worried, but when we got there, the room had a fan, so our night would be much better. i would prefer air conditioning, but hey..for 3 stars hotel..thats very good. I didnt like that they didnt have a fridge, but well, not a deal breaker..we can live with that =) The room itself it was very big, lots of space,even some chairs to sit in, not just the bed, very comfortable. loads of windows, lots of fresh air and loads of day light coming in. The hotel had room service, but i didnt really use it..but it seemed good, with decent prices. we got the breakfast included in our deal, which was great, next morning we headed to the restaurant,(oh yes, they have their own restaurant, where you can have breakfast and dinner) arriving there, a very nice ambient to have your breakfast..loads of light, very calm... they had cooked and continental breakfast, so that was very good. but i was a bit disappointed with the breakfast.. :/ the continental breakfast, it didnt have a very good variety...not many options..i took 1 croissant and they had 2 or 3 there, but then other people came and took the rest...and after this, there was nothing in the ''bread''section..more people came to have the breakfast..but the stuff didnt put more bread, they didnt refill the food..so that was a bit dissapointing...just 1 option of fruit juice, and almost no fruits..on other hand the cooked breakfast was very good, very tasty, but in general, the breakfast was the main reason for the 4 stars...the breakfast is a very weak point on this hotel..but hey you go to a hotel to be comfortable,and sleep well, not to eat as much you can :P not a deal breaker, but would be great to see improvement in the food section..
apart from this, staff super friendly, no noise at all in the rooms, great location, very calm and quiet..3min walking from the beach, very well located..
do i recommend it? yes i do! itd worth your money..but if you really love to have the best breakfast...go to a different hotel or a 4 star one... =)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Just spent three nights at The Devonshire Park Hotel, both husband and I have a very stressful work life and so needed some much needed unwind time, which we got whilst staying here. When we arrived we were greeted by a smiling receptionist who explained everything to us, for example the table in the dining room reflected the same as your bedroom number, therefore there was no way you could sit at the wrong table. I asked if they served skimmed milk at breakfast, I was informed no but they were more than happy to buy some in and skimmed milk was bought for me and served, a bonus to me, I have stayed in 5 star hotels and not received this service. Cleanliness was exceptional, it was lovely and quiet and this made it very easy to get our needed sleep. The waiting staff at breakfast were exceptional and not at all rude, always smiling and very very busy. Plates were cleared away very quickly off your table when you had finished each course, could not find any fault with them what so ever. The food was gorgeous and piping hot. I would highly recommend staying at this Hotel and believe they deserve more than there "3 Star" Award. I find it unbelievable that some people can find fault with anything at this hotel.....obviously very difficult to please.

Room Tip: Room 18 was a stunning room, very spacious with a large walk in shower.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda D
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I went down to breakfast, sat down, served myself some fruit from the buffet an was just starting to eat when a waitress came up to me and said that I was sitting at the wrong table. I asked nicely how I was supposed to know which table to sit at. There was no answer, so I said I'd stay where I was, thank you and continued my breakfast. The waitress called an older lady, who I have a nasty suspicion might have been the owner, but lets hope not. She snapped that I was at the wrong table and that the table I was eating at was reserved. Given that there was no number or reserved sign on the table, I asked again nicely how I was supposed to know and explained I didn't want to move because I'd started my breakfast. She just made a sucking noise with her mouth, looked disgusted and stormed off with no explanation. Maybe she doesn't like people in hiking clothes??? Bizarre behaviour! When she later brought my coffee she slammed it on the table with her back towards me to avoid eye contact. Wow! How rude can you get? If someone had asked me "please" to move or given me some kind of reasonable explanation, I would have moved, but rudeness doesn't budge me an inch.

Needless to say that I won't be staying there again or recommending it to anyone, even though I go to Eastbourne every two weeks.

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Fdevalera
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We booked this hotel after reading other reviews and were not disappointed. We stayed in one of the hotel's suites and it was lovely to have space to sit and relax in the small sitting room. In addition our room had a sunny private terrace. The room was very clean, well furnished and comfortable. If you enjoy watching TV there was a large flat screen in the sitting room as well as a smaller one in the bedroom. The super king size bed was very comfortable and there was ample storage space. The breakfasts were tasty and there was plenty of choice. We did not sample the evening meals at the hotel but there was a new each night. The hotel is not a cheap option but we had a very comfortable stay over the four days of the Airbourne festival.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Saffrons Suite and if you want a quiet, comfortable room with space to relax it is...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple