“Small, dated room, hotel needs tlc” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Langham Hotel

Langham Hotel
Ranked #2 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
Rural Sussex
“Small, dated room, hotel needs tlc”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Most reviews we do try to look at the positives, not easy here. We booked a night here as it came out quite well from numerous reviews. However, what we found was a very small room with a bed & furniture that was well past its use by date. The curtains didn't close properly, the towels provided were tiny & thin & the bathroom only had a small, ineffective shower (no bath) on which the door didn't close properly.The bedroom windows couldn't be opened & the heating was an archaic heater fixed to the wall - the room was either very hot & stuffy or cold. The bathroom was simply cold with no heating.

Breakfast was, at best ok. We couldn't remember the last time we stayed at a hotel where the cereal, very limited fruit & fruit juice(long life), in fact everything was ordered from a menu, which clearly reduced access & flexibility (eg one of us didn't want cereal but would have liked an additional glass of juice) - thus resulting in a limited choice.

It was quite disappointing.

Room Tip: Maybe paying for a sea front room ????
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GandTRuralSussex
Simon B, Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear GandTRuralSussex,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It is a shame you did not enjoy your stay with us. Had the team of known how you were feeling they maybe could have appeased you and rectified some of the issues you have mentioned. I have inspected the room that you stayed in but cannot find fault with the window, heater or door. I did rectify the closing problem with the curtains. A small percentage of our bedrooms are still due to be updated. They are spotlessly clean and have the same facilities as other rooms but the decor is older and this is why we only charged you 55GBP inclusive of breakfast for two. We do currently have 3 rooms under refurbishment and the bedroom that you stayed in is due to be refurbished next.

By offering an A La Carte menu instead of a buffet we find that this provides fresher food to our guests whilst still delivering a bespoke breakfast. Had the team known you wanted more juice you certainly would have received it.

I really do appreciate and understand your feedback; I am sure that should you ever choose to stay with us again you will have a more enjoyable experience.

With kind regards
Simon Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were in Eastbourne to see a show, the weather was terrible, however the staff and the excellent atmosphere in this hotel made you forget the outside conditions.
Staying at this hotel is a must, the staff are absolutely fantastic, helpful and always ready to assist in any way. The bar food and the breakfast excellent, at breakfast the staff were very attentive and the service was without a doubt Unparalleled.
The rooms are of a very high standard in cleanliness, and comfort.
Without a doubt a well organised and outstanding hotel which we will be staying at again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter M
Simon B, Manager at Langham Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Peter M,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. I am so pleased the team looked after you so well and that you enjoyed the food and comfort of your bedroom. We would love to welcome you back again soon.

Kindest regards,
Havelock North, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I holidayed in Eastbourne and live in New Zealand. My friends took me to the Langham on several occasions for lunch and sometimes we would just drop in for tea and a flapjack. This cost just two pounds 30 pence. It was lovely and we sat in comfy chairs in lovely surroundings. I loved all the memorabilia on the walls. I am looking forward to returning to this very welcoming hotel and found it such great value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Dee w,
It is so kind of you to leave a full marks review about your recent experiences. I am so glad you find us comfy and full of character. When you are next in the UK we very much look forward to welcome you back.

With kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here twice over the past month whilst working in the area and am so pleased we stayed here; restaurant exceeded expectations, reasonable wine list, friendly staff. Nothing seemed to much trouble, and my room was upgraded on arrival. On check in the man even went back out to my car to put the permit on the dashboard for me as the weather was abysmal! Would highly recommend!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Poodicious_81,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am very pleased my team have kept you so comfortable and dry during your recent visits and I am glad you enjoy the restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warmest regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

After a very sad event, my mothers funeral, we headed of to the Langham for a lite lunch time buffet.The food was superb the staff were excellent and Simon Brown the manager was very accommodating making us feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble.
Highly recommended
Frances

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gape69
Dear Gape69,

Thank you ever so much for your lovely review. It was a great pleasure to look after your family and I am really pleased to read your kind words about the staff and the food. We all very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kindest regards
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I spent one night here at the end of January. Our stay was a pleasure. The staff were courteous and helpful. The sea-facing bedroom was clean and comfortable. The walk-in shower was helpful for me as am slightly disabled. The bar provided us with an excellent home-made vegetable soup for Sunday dinner, which was absolutely right for us. We had reserved a parking place behind the hotel, and this added to the convenience of our stay.
e would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend/relative.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank susan k
Dear Susan K,

Thank you very much for your top marks review. I am ever so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Kindest regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I arranged a charity event in aid of Prostrate Cancer at this hotel which took place on Friday 24th and Saturday the 25th January 2014. Due to the owners of this hotel Wendy and Neil Kirby, their amazing staff and beautiful hotel my event was a fantastic success. The meals both evenings were just delicious. Wendy,Neil and their staff are an absolute pleasure to deal with.Nothing is too much trouble all that they want is for you to enjoy your break/function and they go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect. I took along my friend who is an international artist who is better than Danny La Rue, he provided the entertainment both evenings which Wendy and Neil did not mind and once again both the staff and themselves were faultless in their help and welcome. I cannot praise this hotel enough and before leaving yesterday booked my dates for my function January 2015 to raise monies for Prostrate Cancer UK.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jean L,

Thank you very much for your wonderful generous review! I am absolutely delighted your event was such a success on both nights and really appreciate your kind words about the staff and the food. We very much look forward to repeating the experience next year!

With kind regards,