“No effort made” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
Wales
“No effort made”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

I returned yesterday from a 4 night course at the Eastbourne Centre, and if I'm honest I was very happy to be going home. In most respects the hotel is really good, great location on the seafront (even though the building itself looks very ugly compared to the beautiful architecture of most of the other buildings on the strip). The rooms are nice with most having balconies with beautiful views of the sea (although more modern features in the rooms lIke pay for view movies and wifi that actually works would be good). The decor is a mixed bag, with a modern bar that seems a little out of place in a resort that caters mostly to the older generation, and a restaurant that proudly advertises the huge painting by a named artist, but in my opinion all the painting does is drag the restaurant back in to the 70's, which isn't helped by the canteen style tables which are way too small for the 6 seats around them, personally I'd paint over the artwork and replace the tables to lift the restaurant in to this century. Sticking with the restaurant, this is where for me the hotel really let itself down. I'm a strict vegan, something I informed the restaurant of as soon as I arrived (as they claimed not to have received the previous notification sent prior to my arrival). On day 1 absolutely no effort was made to cater for me, my only option at lunch was the very limited (for a vegan) salad bar, for tea I was given (and this was my only option while my meat eating colleagues had a whole menu to choose from) a very poor pasta and tomato sauce. On day 2 at lunch I was offered the pasta again, and when I politely declined I was given (without being asked whether I wanted it) a last minute over microwaved potato in a bowl completely on its own, so I had no option but to call upon the salad bar again. The service I received became a running joke with my colleagues and some of the staff, as did the fact that there was a different soup before every meal, and even though they were all vegetable of some sort, I couldn't eat most as they weren't vegan. From here on it did get a little better, but only after I made quite a bit of fuss, and for most meals I wasn't given a choice, other than eat the one meal they had planned or go hungry. The sad thing is that other than 1 meal which was quite obviously some bought in frozen vegetable fingers (which they gave a very posh name to to hide their true origin) the food they made me was very nice, the issue is that until I complained they made no effort what so ever, another example of this was for one meal they brought me a bowl of curry, when I asked the waitress whether there was any rice to go with it she looked at me like I was mad. The final insult which summed up their attitude was when our packed lunches arrived for our journey home, while mine was quite clearly labelled vegan, it contained a cake with both egg and milk in the ingredients and the sandwiches were made with butter! Would I stay here again, yes if the price was right, would I eat here again, no chance. On the last night even though our meals at the hotel had already been paid for, myself and my colleagues decided to go out for food, and had I been a normal paying guest, I would have walked out of the hotel restaurant on that first day never to return.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank gdidy
robin_hodson, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you for your review. It appears that a catalogue of errors were made with your dietry requirements, for which I apologise. We deal daily with all manner of speciail dietry requirements and, in truth are able to fulfil most requirements successfully. I am glad, once sorted, you enjoyed the food provided. Again , please accept my apologies for the shortfall during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
Aspley Guise
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Lovely hotel with all you would expect from a modern hotel. Rooms up to date and clean. Great location and room with balcony and sea view have fantastic views.

Down side airconditioning set too high could not reduce temperature below 18 degrees which made room extremely stuffy over night.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaneAspleyGuise
Thank you for your kind review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with the Eastbourne Centre. With specific reference to your view on the air conditioning, the 'norm' setting is about 21/22 degrees, and to lower beyond 18 is generally too cool. This can be overridden remotely by reception, should the guest require. Another point that may have influenced the situation, if the window or balcony door in the room is opened, it will switch off the air conditioning as we are very aware of energy conservation and aim towards being as 'green' as we can.
South East England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

It's bit stark by modern standards but the upgraded rooms are fine. Reception staff good the only weakness was breakfast a long wait to get coffee, dirty tablecloth and finding a clean plate on the hot buffet took time. After reading other reviews did not take an evening meal in hotel which seems to be the right choice. The best bit is the good value for money rooms with great sea views.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

I travel a great deal and I was looking for a solid business class hotel in Eastbourne. Eastbourne Centre proved to be the right choice. The rooms seem recently renovated with luxury Japanese bath products. I had a room facing the water and the views are stunning. The staff are terrific, though the only drawback to the hotel is the restaurant. It's a pricey set menu dinner that has all the flavour of bad wedding hall catering. Go somewhere else for dinner, but other than that the Eastbourne Centre is a true find.

Room Tip: Reserve a room facing the water.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank businesstripsaswell
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Stayed for six nights and paid for balcony room which was grand. Poor breakfast with horrid toast and no fresh bread. No grilled kippers which we have had in other hotels and limited hot food. We did not think muxh of the breakfast and the coffee was grim.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I was looking for a bed for one night in Eastbourne and was being put off the place as all the hotels in town seemed to only cater for the over 75s. I liked the look of the pictures on the website and gave it a go.

I loved the reception, the foyer, the lifts, the corridors, the room and the bathroom. I was lucky enough to get a walk out terrace and the room had a seaview. The bathroom had high quality toiletries and I really enjoyed sitting in the bath before heading out for a night out. I was also very pleased to find out that breakfast was included in the price, while the website made no mention of this.

I would have rated this hotel Excellent but the very frosty eastern European restaurant staff, who bordered on hostile, made breakfast less than a delight. The buffet was really good though and I really enjoyed the food.

Is it possible Eastbourne Tourist Office could set up a customer service course for frosty east europeans?

By the way, I would book this hotel again,without hesitation, and my friends who booked to stay along the road in another hotel were all envious of my room and the overall quality of the hotel. I highly recommend Eastbourne Centre it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room. Some of the rooms look out over the back towards the hills. I had a high flo...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Reigate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

We were so well looked after here, especially by Samer in the restaurant. Our 2 bed suite was amazing and our boys aged 7 and 8 yrs old could both fit in the huge bath and watch TV in one of the bathrooms! We didn't want to leave our room. The rooms are very generous in size and immaculately cleaned and decorated. Our grandma stayed in a very luxurious disabled room with a wonderful balcony and view of the bandstand and pier. Our sea view room had a huge wrap-round balcony too. The quality of food was like that from a top rate hotel and the service was second to none. Samer made our stay very special by giving us all so much attention and making us feel so welcome and relaxed.He has a great sense of humour and was very entertaining. Nothing was too much trouble and our boys (and grandma!) were able to have so much fun. We've already booked to go back next year!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room and a balcony
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family