“Beautiful with one flaw”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed here last weekend. Beautiful hotel room overlooking the sea. Stayed Friday and Saturday night 15/16 November. Only one flaw - air conditioning very noisy both nights and could not sleep well. We did bring it to the attention of reception, but they said that it could not be fixed over weekend. We would happily stay here again though as everything else about this hotel was tiptop.

Room Tip: Make sure air conditioning doesn't rattle
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandiben33
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Sandiben33
Thank you for your review of your recent weekend break with us.
I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay although I’m sorry we were not able to do more to rectify the air conditioning during your stay.
I have the comments received directly from the team and I’ll be making sure that this (as well as other rooms) are checked for the comfort of all future guests.
In the meantime thank you once again.

There are newer reviews for The View Hotel

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Excellent location with lovely views over the sea and beaches from sea view rooms. Very modern and excellent value for money. 3 course evening meal good value. Unpretentious and friendly service. Breakfast also very good

Room Tip: Sea view recommended and with balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear JMP500
Thank you for your valued review of your recent stay with us.
I’m glad you were able to enjoy the view of the fantastic shoreline from your sea view bedroom and enjoyed our usual friendly level of service throughout.
We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I visit Eastbourne with work two - three times a year and this is my 3rd visit to the Hotel. The interior of the hotel is lovely and the excellent rooms are really comfortable. Breakfast is excellent. I cannot fault this hotel or the staff. I often have to stay in other hotels that are a little cheaper but I really do like and recommend the Eastbourne Centre.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank pastornate

Dear pastornate
Thank you for your review of your return visit to stay with us.
I was delighted to read that we are your Hotel of choice and we do hope to welcome you back very soon.
Best regards

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed here last weekend with friends just as a weekend away for my birthday. Hotel is lovely, staff that greeted us were helpful, polite and welcoming. Rooms were large, spotless, luxury beds and plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits were provided. The bar was relaxing, very reasonably priced and the bar food at lunch was gorgeous. So why was the evening meal such a disaster, on arriving in restaurant it was cold, others kept their coats on, water was provided in what can only be described as school jugs and glasses and we were told if we wanted drinks we had to go and purchase them ourselves at the bar which was not even on the same floor. Meal choice was limited and in all honesty bar lunches far better. I would definitely go back but venture out to eat.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Sharon B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your celebration weekend with us.
Firstly, on behalf of the team I would like to extend a belated Happy Birthday!
It was great to rad that you were comfortable in your room and enjoyed your lunch.
I was however sorry to hear that your evening experience did not match up to this and I assure you that we will look at what more we can do to improve upon this.
Hopefully when you’re next with us you’ll be able to see the improvements yourself.
In the meantime

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Recently had the pleasure of staying at the Eastbourne Centre for two nights. This really is a gem of a hotel in Eastbourne overlooking the sea. On checking in I managed to upgrade to a room overlooking the sea on the 7th floor for a very reasonable £10 extra per night. The General Manager, Matt Huddart and his team looked after me very well. The accommodation was superb and the view of the sea therapeutic. Above all else it was a home from home offering superb accommodation at very reasonable rates.
However I was very disappointed with the lukewarm cooked breakfast but the cream teas I had over my two night stay were fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th floor which overlook the sea have views to die for !
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear emerald1910
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay.
It was also a pleasure to meet with you during your stay and discuss your visit to Eastbourne.
Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding breakfast which I will review with my team.
I hope to welcome you back soon perhaps with your family this time.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago and just can't fault it. Excellent value for money with top notch facilities for anyone visiting Eastbourne. We had stunning views of the seafront and I can honestly say the best hotel we have stayed in for the price we paid. The meals were excellent and the staff could not do anymore for you. Our whole stay from beginning to end was faultless. What made our stay even better was the brilliant restaurant, reception and cleaning staff who all just oozed professionalism!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CTW992013

Dear CTW992013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
It was great to read that you had a ‘faultless’ visit and it is particularly encouraging to read your words regarding the service received.
Hope it won’t be too long before we welcome you back!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

A group of us were staying Eastbourne for a conference this week and and due to the location of the Conference, the Eastbourne Centre was ideally placed. On walking past the Centre it is difficult to know what the building is...................'The Eastbourne Centre' does not really reflect in it's title is exact purpose. We went inside, where again it was not immediately clear the purpose of the building, but on walking through what I can only think was the reception area, we found ourselves in the 'Lounge Bar'. This seemed a very nice place to take morning coffee, which is just what we were looking for. After staying a couple of hours for coffee, we decided we would take lunch. The lunch was average, to say the least and disappointed that for such a large building we could not be supplied with what we ordered as there were not enough croissants! Very poor. The one croissant that did arrive, which was filled with cheese and red onion marmalade was not hot; luke warn and the cheese barely melted which was sent back to the kitchen. As the centre was so close to where we were based, we came again the following lunchtime for coffee and lunch. I ordered a scone with jam as did my friend. The scone was absolutely disgusting! It was stale; looked stale, tasted stale and the jam was just a tatty little sachet on the side. I also know, having been in the catering industry, that the brand of jam was a poor, cheap one and certainly tasted that way too!

It is such as shame as the ambience of the lounge bar is lovely and the staff helpful, although, not able it seems to take and carry through simple instructions. There were several other minor things that had to be changed; for example when you order coffee it normally comes with milk on the side so that you can add at your own leisure. Two of our party wanted black coffee and coffee came to the table already with milk in.

All I can say is that the food certainly does not reflect the 'look' of the bar and to send out stale scones, really is quite unforgivable and completely unacceptable. I could have sent it back, but by this stage I was fed up with sending food back and we needed to leave. I don't think we would recommend this venue to anybody who is looking for food and drink and won't be returning, sorry.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Darlene B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit.
I was slightly disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations and am sorry we were not able to do that little bit more for you whilst you were in the Hotel.
I will review your specific comments with my Team and please be assured we do make every effort to make improvements where necessary.
We are currently working on plans to make our identity more defined and hope you’ll choose to come back and see as we progress.

With this in mind, I would ask that you contact me directly at the Hotel so we can discuss my plans and we’d love to welcome you back to the Hotel again to show our usual high level of food quality and service.
In the meantime,