“Great seaside loaction”

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great seaside loaction”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Great seaside location!
I booked a room with a sea view and balcony for £139 which I thought was pretty good value. Especially considering it’s also only a 10 minute walk from town (Eastbound is not a large place). There’s a choice of two routes into town actually - seafront or the back way. The back route is marginally quicker but the seafront a much nicer outlook, especially if the weather is good.
The room was comfortable and featured modern décor with a good effort at tasteful design and a pleasant colour scheme with olive greens, browns and dark ‘mixed wood’ laminated surfaces.
The lighting was good and the only thing that didn’t quite work in there was the two chairs and little round table at the end, in the ‘lounge’ space just before the balcony doors. They were too big and angular and simply didn’t fit the space! It was like there was a job lot of furniture allocated for each room, and it was plonked in there whether it fitted or not! (there was no room for a rearrangement either!)
The bathroom was OK, quite compact but enough room for everything. I liked the coloured mirror mosaic tiling behind the mirror in front of the basin - the basin and shelf assembly itself I suspect was a relic of the original plastic moulded fixings when the place was first been kitted out! Having a bath is always great as I prefer a good soak in the bath to a shower, and the toiletries were also nice.
The desk area was a good size, the TV worked really well – quick and straightforward to get through the menu to where you needed to be.
There were a couple of small annoyances.
No fridge – although I cooled my drinks outside on the balcony – for rooms over £100.00 I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a fridge. The chair for the desk was too low for the workspace – so I bolstered it with cushions – but something that’s obviously just not been through about – like the over-sized furniture in the seating area.
The WIFI was free, but I had some serious uploading to do, so I bought one of their premium vouchers . At £5 for 24 hours, I thought that this was a bargain, and although it had a few ups and downs – for a period it dropped to a snail’s pace – overall it was fine!
I didn’t spend any time in the bar downstairs apart from to get some water for the room, but it looked and felt pleasant – bath in atmosphere and aesthetics, with modern furniture, interesting lighting and big glass windows making the most of the great views.
I was happy spending time there here, will definitely go back next time I need to stay in Eastbourne and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Anne Louise S
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Anne Louise S
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay with us.
It was great to read that you found your room comfortable and you appreciated the modern décor that has been introduced throughout the hotel guest bedrooms. I acknowledge your feedback regarding the furniture items in your room and I have taken these points on board and as constructive suggestions moving forwards with my team.
Currently none of our standard rooms feature fridges as standard however we do offer room service where by on request drinks can be chilled for the guest and at any time requested.
We have recently had a new Wi Fi system installed and are working closely with the service provider to constantly better this service to our guests. This said it was great to read that the premium Wi-Fi service delivered on the whole as expected and that you appreciate the value this offers above the free service that we offer throughout the Hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay at the Eastbourne Centre, and hope your visit will be a pleasant and enjoyable one!
Kind Regards
Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
Midhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. We upgraded to a Superior room which was roomy and spacious and a lovely view of the sea. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was exciting and full of choices. Bar area very comfortable and good selection of bar food. Good Polish girl on Breakfast on the Saturday and went the extra mile. Our only complaint was the pillows, which we found very hard and difficult to get comfortable and landed up with a stiff neck. Parking is handy outside the hotel at a £1 a night.

Room Tip: Sea Facing rooms excellent ... Rooms are quiet and you do not hear other guests which helps to make...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Daytripper60_10
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that your weekend getaway was enjoyable.
We agree that our location is great and I’m really pleased that you noted not only that you enjoyed our breakfast, but also the great level of service you received.
I was sorry to learn that you didn’t find the pillows comfortable in your room. I’ll look into getting some alternatives and softer options for future guest needs.
Finally, thank you for highlighting the parking arrangements. The £1 daily rate for Hotel Guests is fantastic value especially for a sea side location.
We hope to welcome you back sometime soon.
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was our first stay here and we were very impressed: everywhere was very clean and the rooms were very comfortable. We enjoyed a drink in the bar which was very welcoming with lovely comfortable chairs. Breakfast, too, was lovely - very plentiful and a good selection. Although there were a lot of guests staying at the time the restaurant wasn't overcrowded so no hassle to get what you wanted.

Our room was a Premier room with a balcony which was very nice and the view was lovely, although we didn't go on the balcony as it was quite windy and cold. However we were a bit disappointed and surprised to find that the standard twin room which our teenage boys were staying in was bigger with more furniture and much more spacious bathroom than ours but it was £100 cheaper. So we got a balcony and a sea view but a lot less space and it was more expensive. I think I'll go for the cheaper option next time! Nevertheless we enjoyed our stay and will probably return.

Room Tip: Forgeti the balcony and go for a standard room - bigger and cheaper.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Alison G
Thank you for writing a review of your first stay with us.
It was great to read that you were very impressed with your time with us. We strive for the highest level of quality and cleanliness and I’m glad this was apparent when you stayed.
We have made changes to the breakfast (and more to come) and it was encouraging to read that you though this was ‘lovely’!
Most of our rooms are of good proportion and there is a premium for the sea view and balcony rooms. I am only sorry that the weather meant you couldn’t fully enjoy the facilities from your room.
It’s great to hear that after your first stay you’d think about coming back and we hope to see you again.
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here at the Eastbourne Centre. Pleasant staff is really comfortable. As you approach the hotel, it looks like an office block that was built in the early 80's. However, as you enter the hotel, it is clean and maintained.
I stayed on the third floor (there are seven floors in total) and although, I didn't have a room with balcony, I could still see the beach front. The room was lovely and cosy, clean and really comfortable.
Over breakfast, although I was late the chef still made me scrambled eggs and the waitresses were really friendly.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Room with balcony is idea as the hotel is right by the side front.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lizragasa
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I’m thrilled that you had a really comfortable time and appreciated the Hotel facilities.
Thank you in particular for your comments regarding your breakfast and the food and service received.
The friendly team and I look forward to welcoming you back really soon!
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The staff are amazing especially the young waiter with the pony tail, always helping with my certain requirements every single meal time! They work extremely hard at the Eastbourne centre and it makes you appreciate the trip a lot more, they're all so friendly which creates a lovely atmosphere for all the guests! It is in an amazing setting, surrounded by the beach, theatre and town centre it is ideal for people of all interests! I would personally like to thank Christine, the young lady with long blond hair from the dining hall, the young Italian/Spanish waiter from the dining hall and the tall waiter from the dining hall with a black pony tail, they made Our union conference stay so much more relaxing! Hope to return in September. Thank you to everyone at the Eastbourne Centre.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank LauraWalker96
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear LauraWalker96
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Eastbourne Centre.
It was great to read that you received our usual high level of friendly and professional service.
I would like to thank you in particular for the specific mentions of the staff you encountered. It does offer great encouragement to the whole Hotel team!
We agree our location is great for both Business and has the added benefit of a perfect place to relax afterwards.
We hope to see you again sometime very soon.
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We visited the Eastbourne Centre for lunch with my elderly mother-in-law. We had a window seat in the bar with a sea view, as the restaurant is not open at lunchtime, and the food was fine.
There was a good atmosphere, and not too noisy so we were able to have a good conversation.
The service was good, and the place was spotless.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael C
Dear Michael C
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at the Eastbourne Centre.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your lunch and appreciated the atmosphere in the Bar area.
The team here work hard to keep the entire Hotel looking it’s best and I’m further glad you noticed this high level of cleanliness.
Hope you will be back for lunch again sometime in the future.
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We like this hotel.Bang on the sea front,easy parking and friendly staff.We always have a large room with "town views" ,as the saving is quite substantial.Rooms are very clean ,excellent bed linen ,and compact spotless bathrooms.Breakfast if the hotel is busy is a bit of a bun fight,but on this visit the hotel was quiet,and breakfast was relaxed.Its self service,but if you stick to cereal,toast and croissants you can't go wrong.The hotel has been recently updated,but it still has a quirky 1970's feel to it ,which we really like.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul J
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Paul J
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay with us.
It’s great to read that you continue to enjoy the high level of both cleanliness as well as our great location.
Breakfast can get busy when the Hotel is full and we are now looking to extend the hours of operation to help with this. I was pleased to read that it was a more relaxed affair for your visit this time!
I’m glad you appreciate some of the quirks of the Hotel and we do hope you’ll be back to see us again sometime soon.