“Cream tea ”

Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Eastbourne, England
“Cream tea ”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I only live round the corner i had a lovely cream tea outside on the terrace sun was out beautiful and staff are so friendly

Hotel lovely and clean and near the beach perfect and a sun trap on the terrace

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Ranger101970
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the Hotel for a Cream tea.
I’m glad you enjoyed the great location and vista from the bar terrace and our usual friendly service!
Hope you’ll pop in again soon.
Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We had a special deal via Amazon for two nights' B+B at the Eastbourne Centre this week. The hotel is a dreadful looking place from the outside - all 1970s concrete - but inside is very nice. The hotel has been completely refurbished and I think they are just doing the last bit. It is worth paying the extra for a room with a balcony overlooking the sea - wonderful views. The room was clean, well equipped, but very bland and corporate - not even a picture on the wall! Very comfy large bed, but very soft and thin pillows and polyester duvet. The lounge bar was okay for a meal, but the food was very average and nothing special. There was a very good range of things available for breakfast, though why is hotel toast always soggy? :) There are a few restaurants near the hotel and I would recommend going out for dinner - the Greek one was very good. The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. I would recommend the place.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view.
2 Thank DJF710
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear DJF710
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I was glad to read that your judgement extended beyond your initial impressions of the building and thought the inside ‘very nice’
I agree that the balcony features are worth every penny and there’s just enough space to sit and enjoy the great sea side panorama. I note your comment regarding the pictures in the bedrooms and I’m sure you’ll agree that the real picture from the balcony makes up for this!
Thank you for your observations regarding the food in the bar and the breakfast you enjoyed.
Finally, thank you for mentioning the service received from the team and saying that you’d recommend us. We do hope to see you again sometime very soon.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. The initial impression was disappointing, the steps to the hotel have weeds growing in the cracks and one of the windows is boarded up and looks as if it has been that way for a while. There are notices apologising for the fact that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment and there are areas of unfinished plasterboard walls and missing ceiling tiles. We saw no work going on while we were there even though it was not the weekend. Having said that, the staff were welcoming and helpful and our room was excellent, very well decorated, reasonably spacious and with everything you would expect except a fridge. The bed was large and very comfortable.
We chose to eat in the first night and this was also a disappointment. The choice of dishes was very small, just four items in each course. The food itself was reasonably well prepared and tasty.
Breakfast was better although the toast was very soft and once we had to find a staff member to ask for tea.

1 Thank Streaten_Smith
Dear Streaten_Smith
Thank you for your valued review of your recent two night stay with us.
I’m sorry if your first impressions were marred and can confirm that we are awaiting the replacement glazing to the front window which was recently cracked (the boarding makes it look worse but for safety sake…)
In addition as you highlight we are making improvements and are trying to keep this as inconspicuous as possible and I’m glad you found your refurbished room well decorated.
We currently operate a set menu for evening meals in the restaurant and I do acknowledge that the range is limited. This menu does change daily and it was reassuring that you did find your meal tasty.
I hope that you will be able to come back and see the ‘finished article’ and notice the changes we are making.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Had great two night stay with wife.room clean and modern.staff very good and friendly .food was great .only negative was that we paid £40.00 for a sea view and balcony which is what we got,but the room was on a corner so the balcony was tiny,not wort the £40,00 quid upgrade.little disappointed on that only.

Room Tip: Don't get corner room for balcony
1 Thank DAVID G
Dear David G
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of your recent experience with us.
It was great to read that you received our usual level of friendly service and enjoyed our modern bedrooms. I was however sorry to read that you were a little disappointed with the balcony to your bedroom and further apologise if we were not able to offer you an alternative.
Thank you for saying the food you enjoyed was great and for the similar title of your review!
We hope to see you again very soon.
Leeds
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was my fourth visit to this hotel for a four day seminar/meeting and I must admit to the overall experience being disappointing. The positive was the bedroom which was at the front on the corner with a balcony and everything in the room was fine - a lovely big 5ft bed and seating area with a well stocked hospitality tray, iron and ironing board, a safe, hairdryer etc etc = no complaints. The bathroom was stocked with toiletries and was clean with nice fluffy towels. The negatives were mainly to do with the public areas and the dining room as the food is of a much inferior quality compared to previous years. I ate in 2 out of the 3 nights of my stay. The first night I had the pork and by the time I had trimmed off the fat there was enough meat for two mouthfuls. The second night I ate there I had the haddock fish cakes which were nice but just accompanied by some awful pea puree - not even proper peas - where were the potatoes? I told others to ask for them which they did and were given.. I must admit the cheeseboard and the roulade were both delicious. For lunch there was salad and some very cheap plastic meats with a warm option which was either pasta or curry - neither looked appertising although there was always soup - some nice some watery. The breakfast starters were nice with fresh fruit but no individual yoghurts just a bowl of plain on offer. Some mornings there were croissants and some days not. The cooked food was disgusting= cold and very poor quality sausages and bacon that hardly looked cooked - One morning I asked the chef for bacon and he produced a tureen which he poured out onto the hotplate and it looked disgusting. I passed on that. There use to be such a lovely selection of bread and rolls but now you are offered either white or brown - the same type morning noon and night and these are the frozen ones zapped up in an oven or microwave - and after four days of these it became boring. Come on what has happened - well I know the hotel was sold to a management company - so please don't let it be profit before quality. The staff were not as attentive or understanding and so service was slow and I constantly had to ask for things. There was a problem with the coffee machine so we were given sachets and hot water - very cheap and not nice..There are renovations going on in the hotel to provide a wedding venue - where's the library gone? There was drilling going on whilst we were trying to have our meeting which was very distracting.. The exterior of the hotel was not too good as there was a window boarded up and tiles missing from the front wall. The positives are the rooms and the position of the hotel on the sea front but if the rooms and the exterior are not maintained then they will also go downhill. The whole place needs some TLC - several of us asked if we could go elsewhere next year.

Room Tip: A room at the front with a balcony is worth it
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lynda W
Dear Lynda W
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay with us.
Clearly, I am sorry that we did not fully meet your expectations and even more so that we were not able to do more for you whilst you were staying at the Hotel.
Whilst there are a few new faces at the Hotel it remains under the same ownership and I was sorry if the current improvement works caused you frustrations.
As readers will note from other reviewer we do pride ourselves on the level of service provided and with this in mind I would appreciate if you could get in touch with me directly so that I can fully respond to your observations personally.
In the meantime, thank you once again.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here for a course I was attending. I decided to upgrade for £20 a night to get a a double balcony. It was well worth it. I got a beautiful view. The staff couldn't be more helpful. The food was gorgeous. Everything was spotless despite some building work going on. I would return here, but sadly I have a dog so this won't happen unless it is for work. My only very minor disappointment was the tiny late in the bar that cost £2 on my first night. I then drank the coffee sachets in the room. Just remembered that the toiletries were lovely and luxurious.

Room Tip: Check to see how much an upgrade is if you do not have a sea view. Room 605 is lovely with its doubl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear GooseChick
Thank your for writing a review of your recent time with us as a conference delegate.
I was delighted to read that you appreciated the little bit extra to upgrade to a room with a balcony!
We are making continual improvements to the Hotel and it was encouraging to read that you noticed we have maintained our standards despite this.
Thank you for your comment regarding the coffee served in the bar. We are looking at alternative coffee options and hope that when launched the revised sizes will meet your expectations.
In the meantime we hope you might be able to organise a sitter for your dog and come back and stay with us again.
Best regards
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Excellent all round. Two of us stayed for two nights over a Bank Holiday weekend and the service was first class. The hotel receptionists were especially helpful and the facilities in the room were 4 *. Good choice of breakfast buffet but some things ran out and were not replaced and service could take as while in the morning - that was the only thing you could possibly rate less than excellent

Room Tip: Try for a beach view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Michelle B
Thank you for your review it is most appreciated.
I was thrilled to read that you experienced our usual level of service and rated this as ‘Excellent’ – thank you!
We do aim to ensure that the breakfast buffet is stocked at all times and I’m sorry if there was a delay due to business levels over the Bank holiday weekend.
Finally, thank you once again and we hope you’ll be back soon.
Warm regards