“Dont judge by outside”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Have stayed here quite a few times for conferences, its currently having a refurbishment but still really good.

Do not be put off by the concrete exterior!

The rooms are fabulous, really large comfy beds, spotless spacious modern and fantastic views. Really quiet, did not here a sound from the party just two floors below.

The terrace really could do with a complete makeover but inside is fab. The conferencing facility needs an equipment upgrade, sound was poor , screen was not brill but staff did best to fix. Water coolers need to be installed instead of a few bottles among dozens of delegate!

Food, Normally the food is fab but was really disappointed by dinner, ok its not the hotels fault that the choices are not what I would have normally chosen, but the choice was very limited and was tough if you didn't like chips or rice, a nice salad would have been welcome in this weather!, I wonder if its different chefs as it just was not the quality of previously, the help yourself buffet style was not available this time and I also heard someone complaining about the quality of room service food. However the staff are lovely really helpful and breakfast among the best. Reception staff extremely helpful .

I would recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay but try one of the many restuarants in town if you want a quality meal.

Room Tip: From what I can tell all rooms have sea views and are fabulous
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank molliemoosmum
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear molliemoosmum
Thank you for taking the time to write up a review of your recent stay at the Hotel.
It is always good to hear from guests who have stayed a number times and I was also encouraged to read that you were not inconvenienced by the current improvement works!
We are planning further improvements to the meeting rooms and you’ll be pleased to note that we will be introducing water coolers really soon.
I also note your comment regarding the Restaurant dinner options and whilst we have big plans for this area in the New Year we will be ensuring that salads are available as well as trialling the introduction of an increased menu for individual guests later this month.
Overall it was great that you had a comfortable stay and thank you for mentioning the ‘lovely’ team here and the quality of our breakfast.
We hope to welcome you back soon so you can see the improvements that we continue to make!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Like many other reviewers of the Eastbourne Centre, we had a deal via Amazon Local for two nights B & B, a gift from our daughter as we wanted to visit family who have just moved down to Sovereign Harbour. Having used various voucher deals in the past, the experiences haven't all been that good but this one was first class. No, pretty the exterior is not but once you get inside a very different story. The public areas are extremely comfortable, airy and peaceful. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good with tables set well apart to afford some privacy. A very extensive choice of food which I would consider very acceptable. Sure there are small things that might niggle some but really I don't believe that slightly soft toast is anything to complain about. Service was absolutely fine, friendly and polite.
Our King Room with balcony was great. Not huge but perfectly adequate with, probably, the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in and, believe me, I have slept in many in 5star establishments that wouldn't come up to the standard of this bed. Good bathroom, again spotlessly clean and the biggest bonus was our
balcony, which given the most beautiful weather, was just heaven to sit on first thing in the morning and watch the hardy souls swimming as the sun came up.Well worth the upgrade supplement. Lovely. We were on the 5th floor and so had a terrific view both ways. We will certainly be back and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have less traffic noise but with very efficient air-conditioning it wouldn...

Dear JoybellKent
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay!
It was fantastic to read that you consider the hotel to be a ‘real gem’ and that you had a really comfortable stay with us.
It was particularly pleasing to read that you appreciated the restaurant as well as receiving our usual level of friendly service.
We agree that the views from our balcony rooms are outstanding, worth the little extra, and I’m glad the weather was kind to you too.
Thanks for saying you’d recommend us without hesitation and we hope you’ll be back to visit friends sometime soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I only live round the corner i had a lovely cream tea outside on the terrace sun was out beautiful and staff are so friendly

Hotel lovely and clean and near the beach perfect and a sun trap on the terrace

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Ranger101970
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the Hotel for a Cream tea.
I’m glad you enjoyed the great location and vista from the bar terrace and our usual friendly service!
Hope you’ll pop in again soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We had a special deal via Amazon for two nights' B+B at the Eastbourne Centre this week. The hotel is a dreadful looking place from the outside - all 1970s concrete - but inside is very nice. The hotel has been completely refurbished and I think they are just doing the last bit. It is worth paying the extra for a room with a balcony overlooking the sea - wonderful views. The room was clean, well equipped, but very bland and corporate - not even a picture on the wall! Very comfy large bed, but very soft and thin pillows and polyester duvet. The lounge bar was okay for a meal, but the food was very average and nothing special. There was a very good range of things available for breakfast, though why is hotel toast always soggy? :) There are a few restaurants near the hotel and I would recommend going out for dinner - the Greek one was very good. The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. I would recommend the place.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view.
2  Thank DJF710
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear DJF710
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I was glad to read that your judgement extended beyond your initial impressions of the building and thought the inside ‘very nice’
I agree that the balcony features are worth every penny and there’s just enough space to sit and enjoy the great sea side panorama. I note your comment regarding the pictures in the bedrooms and I’m sure you’ll agree that the real picture from the balcony makes up for this!
Thank you for your observations regarding the food in the bar and the breakfast you enjoyed.
Finally, thank you for mentioning the service received from the team and saying that you’d recommend us. We do hope to see you again sometime very soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. The initial impression was disappointing, the steps to the hotel have weeds growing in the cracks and one of the windows is boarded up and looks as if it has been that way for a while. There are notices apologising for the fact that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment and there are areas of unfinished plasterboard walls and missing ceiling tiles. We saw no work going on while we were there even though it was not the weekend. Having said that, the staff were welcoming and helpful and our room was excellent, very well decorated, reasonably spacious and with everything you would expect except a fridge. The bed was large and very comfortable.
We chose to eat in the first night and this was also a disappointment. The choice of dishes was very small, just four items in each course. The food itself was reasonably well prepared and tasty.
Breakfast was better although the toast was very soft and once we had to find a staff member to ask for tea.

1  Thank Streaten_Smith

Dear Streaten_Smith
Thank you for your valued review of your recent two night stay with us.
I’m sorry if your first impressions were marred and can confirm that we are awaiting the replacement glazing to the front window which was recently cracked (the boarding makes it look worse but for safety sake…)
In addition as you highlight we are making improvements and are trying to keep this as inconspicuous as possible and I’m glad you found your refurbished room well decorated.
We currently operate a set menu for evening meals in the restaurant and I do acknowledge that the range is limited. This menu does change daily and it was reassuring that you did find your meal tasty.
I hope that you will be able to come back and see the ‘finished article’ and notice the changes we are making.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Had great two night stay with wife.room clean and modern.staff very good and friendly .food was great .only negative was that we paid £40.00 for a sea view and balcony which is what we got,but the room was on a corner so the balcony was tiny,not wort the £40,00 quid upgrade.little disappointed on that only.

Room Tip: Don't get corner room for balcony
1  Thank DAVID G

Dear David G
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of your recent experience with us.
It was great to read that you received our usual level of friendly service and enjoyed our modern bedrooms. I was however sorry to read that you were a little disappointed with the balcony to your bedroom and further apologise if we were not able to offer you an alternative.
Thank you for saying the food you enjoyed was great and for the similar title of your review!
We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was my fourth visit to this hotel for a four day seminar/meeting and I must admit to the overall experience being disappointing. The positive was the bedroom which was at the front on the corner with a balcony and everything in the room was fine - a lovely big 5ft bed and seating area with a well stocked hospitality tray, iron and ironing board, a safe, hairdryer etc etc = no complaints. The bathroom was stocked with toiletries and was clean with nice fluffy towels. The negatives were mainly to do with the public areas and the dining room as the food is of a much inferior quality compared to previous years. I ate in 2 out of the 3 nights of my stay. The first night I had the pork and by the time I had trimmed off the fat there was enough meat for two mouthfuls. The second night I ate there I had the haddock fish cakes which were nice but just accompanied by some awful pea puree - not even proper peas - where were the potatoes? I told others to ask for them which they did and were given.. I must admit the cheeseboard and the roulade were both delicious. For lunch there was salad and some very cheap plastic meats with a warm option which was either pasta or curry - neither looked appertising although there was always soup - some nice some watery. The breakfast starters were nice with fresh fruit but no individual yoghurts just a bowl of plain on offer. Some mornings there were croissants and some days not. The cooked food was disgusting= cold and very poor quality sausages and bacon that hardly looked cooked - One morning I asked the chef for bacon and he produced a tureen which he poured out onto the hotplate and it looked disgusting. I passed on that. There use to be such a lovely selection of bread and rolls but now you are offered either white or brown - the same type morning noon and night and these are the frozen ones zapped up in an oven or microwave - and after four days of these it became boring. Come on what has happened - well I know the hotel was sold to a management company - so please don't let it be profit before quality. The staff were not as attentive or understanding and so service was slow and I constantly had to ask for things. There was a problem with the coffee machine so we were given sachets and hot water - very cheap and not nice..There are renovations going on in the hotel to provide a wedding venue - where's the library gone? There was drilling going on whilst we were trying to have our meeting which was very distracting.. The exterior of the hotel was not too good as there was a window boarded up and tiles missing from the front wall. The positives are the rooms and the position of the hotel on the sea front but if the rooms and the exterior are not maintained then they will also go downhill. The whole place needs some TLC - several of us asked if we could go elsewhere next year.

Room Tip: A room at the front with a balcony is worth it
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lynda W

Dear Lynda W
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay with us.
Clearly, I am sorry that we did not fully meet your expectations and even more so that we were not able to do more for you whilst you were staying at the Hotel.
Whilst there are a few new faces at the Hotel it remains under the same ownership and I was sorry if the current improvement works caused you frustrations.
As readers will note from other reviewer we do pride ourselves on the level of service provided and with this in mind I would appreciate if you could get in touch with me directly so that I can fully respond to your observations personally.
In the meantime, thank you once again.