“Easy into Eastbourne, Part 2.”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Tring, United Kingdom
“Easy into Eastbourne, Part 2.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Following my last stay in Eastbourne in June 2013, we returned for the annual tennis once again.As the Cavendish Hotel was fully booked, we used the Eastbourne Centre instead. Situated on the Promenade, it was clean & comfortable. We had a larger double room than at the Cavendish, which suited my wife & I more.Staff were pleasant, breakfast was good & it was CHEAPER than the Cavendish. Think we will stay here next year. WARNING : This hotel does not have a car park. They issue vouchers at £1.00 a time for one days' off-street parking. However, if you have to park on the Promenade itself (quite safe) the vouchers only cover specific hours. Therefore, if staying for several days, the cost of car parking will mount up !

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a sea-view. Ask for a side room as you can still see the sea.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear BigBrian,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
I was very happy to read that you found our hotel to your satisfaction and that it was clean and comfortable for you. It was also highly encouraging to read that felt the hotel offered great value!
I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding the staff I know they will be thrilled to here this. I was also pleased to see that you enjoyed our fantastic breakfast offering.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back the Hotel in the future.
Best regards
Matthew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent a night in this hotel as part of my wife's 50th birthday present from the kids we had a double room with balcony costing £180 a night half board.
The room was great nice and clean good size with a nice balcony facing the sea.
Nice big bed loads of room in there.
Parking was easy just outside you can get a ticket from the desk at £1.00 a day.
Now the bad ... Dinner in the restaurant was not good it was a Saturday night and sure not a lot to choose from ..main course was Cod or Chicken or braised beef or Tempura veg.
That's it 4 things to choose from in a £180 a night hotel ?
I place an order for drinks then we both went for the fish as there was little else to choose from.
The lady serving us must of been new she had trouble understanding our order and her English seem to be limited to sorry. so we had soup then we had fish just about finish eating that then she said she was sorry she would get the drinks soon told her it was to late now forget it.
Fish was full of bones o yes and it come with ok ready for this 9 chips and some green pea puree not the most filling of meals for sure.
Home now and after reading everyone else review I can see the food is the biggest complaint in this Hotel what a pity it spoils a great place to stay if the management read this and see the common theme about the food and the very limited menu they should take action as its letting the Hotel down sorry to say would not stay again unless we was to eat out.

Room Tip: ask for room with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear 327mick
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
I was however sorry to read that your dining experience did not meet your expectations. As I have responded previously the Hotel currently offers a Table D’Hote menu which changes on a daily basis and we do aim to cater for all tastes.

This said we will soon be introducing a further menu for individual customers which we do hope will satisfy those looking for more choice before our big plans come into place in the New Year.
It was great to read that you appreciated the great parking arrangements here and otherwise had a comfortable stay.
Best regards
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for 2nights on an Amazon local deal. The booking was done and confirmed promptly and our paid voucher accepted and processed immediately.
We were told where best to park and offered a £1 voucher which as we had checked in on Sunday means we parked in the side street along side the hotel for the 2 days from Sunday 4pm and the Monday voucher covered us until our departure at 11am Tuesday.
Our room was spacious clean quiet and comfortable. We had a superior room included in the Amazon deal. We were situated on the 4th floor at the side of the hotel which gave us views of the sea and the pier.
We only had breakfast at the hotel and it was of good quality and excellent and varied choice.
There were some renovations going on and we had been emailed to warn us about this. We did not experience any inconvenience from this or noise.
I mention in the title don't be put off by the exterior there is a lot of grey slate cladding and the overall appearance is a bit forbidding. Inside it is fine the staff were helpful at all times.
I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Although we were on the side I think most rooms would have a sea view. Rooms on the front obviously...
Dear ceredigionbear
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us.
The great news is that whilst we can’t change the 1970’s look of the building (which some want celebrated!) we do plan to smarten up the outside over the summer months. This hopefully will add to the character of the Hotel and move toward the same high level of quality enjoyed inside.
I was pleased that you were both aware of the improvements we are making internally and that you didn’t notice any intrusions from this. This phase to create a stunning new event space will be complete soon and available for all book or just be nosey!
We have been making subtle changes to the breakfast offering over the past months and I was delighted to note that you rated the food of good quality and that there was a great variety.
Thanks for saying you’d stay again and I hope it won’t be too long before you’re back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Have stayed here quite a few times for conferences, its currently having a refurbishment but still really good.

Do not be put off by the concrete exterior!

The rooms are fabulous, really large comfy beds, spotless spacious modern and fantastic views. Really quiet, did not here a sound from the party just two floors below.

The terrace really could do with a complete makeover but inside is fab. The conferencing facility needs an equipment upgrade, sound was poor , screen was not brill but staff did best to fix. Water coolers need to be installed instead of a few bottles among dozens of delegate!

Food, Normally the food is fab but was really disappointed by dinner, ok its not the hotels fault that the choices are not what I would have normally chosen, but the choice was very limited and was tough if you didn't like chips or rice, a nice salad would have been welcome in this weather!, I wonder if its different chefs as it just was not the quality of previously, the help yourself buffet style was not available this time and I also heard someone complaining about the quality of room service food. However the staff are lovely really helpful and breakfast among the best. Reception staff extremely helpful .

I would recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay but try one of the many restuarants in town if you want a quality meal.

Room Tip: From what I can tell all rooms have sea views and are fabulous
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank molliemoosmum
Dear molliemoosmum
Thank you for taking the time to write up a review of your recent stay at the Hotel.
It is always good to hear from guests who have stayed a number times and I was also encouraged to read that you were not inconvenienced by the current improvement works!
We are planning further improvements to the meeting rooms and you’ll be pleased to note that we will be introducing water coolers really soon.
I also note your comment regarding the Restaurant dinner options and whilst we have big plans for this area in the New Year we will be ensuring that salads are available as well as trialling the introduction of an increased menu for individual guests later this month.
Overall it was great that you had a comfortable stay and thank you for mentioning the ‘lovely’ team here and the quality of our breakfast.
We hope to welcome you back soon so you can see the improvements that we continue to make!
Kent
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Like many other reviewers of the Eastbourne Centre, we had a deal via Amazon Local for two nights B & B, a gift from our daughter as we wanted to visit family who have just moved down to Sovereign Harbour. Having used various voucher deals in the past, the experiences haven't all been that good but this one was first class. No, pretty the exterior is not but once you get inside a very different story. The public areas are extremely comfortable, airy and peaceful. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good with tables set well apart to afford some privacy. A very extensive choice of food which I would consider very acceptable. Sure there are small things that might niggle some but really I don't believe that slightly soft toast is anything to complain about. Service was absolutely fine, friendly and polite.
Our King Room with balcony was great. Not huge but perfectly adequate with, probably, the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in and, believe me, I have slept in many in 5star establishments that wouldn't come up to the standard of this bed. Good bathroom, again spotlessly clean and the biggest bonus was our
balcony, which given the most beautiful weather, was just heaven to sit on first thing in the morning and watch the hardy souls swimming as the sun came up.Well worth the upgrade supplement. Lovely. We were on the 5th floor and so had a terrific view both ways. We will certainly be back and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have less traffic noise but with very efficient air-conditioning it wouldn...
Dear JoybellKent
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay!
It was fantastic to read that you consider the hotel to be a ‘real gem’ and that you had a really comfortable stay with us.
It was particularly pleasing to read that you appreciated the restaurant as well as receiving our usual level of friendly service.
We agree that the views from our balcony rooms are outstanding, worth the little extra, and I’m glad the weather was kind to you too.
Thanks for saying you’d recommend us without hesitation and we hope you’ll be back to visit friends sometime soon.
Eastbourne, England
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I only live round the corner i had a lovely cream tea outside on the terrace sun was out beautiful and staff are so friendly

Hotel lovely and clean and near the beach perfect and a sun trap on the terrace

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Ranger101970
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the Hotel for a Cream tea.
I’m glad you enjoyed the great location and vista from the bar terrace and our usual friendly service!
Hope you’ll pop in again soon.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We had a special deal via Amazon for two nights' B+B at the Eastbourne Centre this week. The hotel is a dreadful looking place from the outside - all 1970s concrete - but inside is very nice. The hotel has been completely refurbished and I think they are just doing the last bit. It is worth paying the extra for a room with a balcony overlooking the sea - wonderful views. The room was clean, well equipped, but very bland and corporate - not even a picture on the wall! Very comfy large bed, but very soft and thin pillows and polyester duvet. The lounge bar was okay for a meal, but the food was very average and nothing special. There was a very good range of things available for breakfast, though why is hotel toast always soggy? :) There are a few restaurants near the hotel and I would recommend going out for dinner - the Greek one was very good. The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. I would recommend the place.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view.
2 Thank DJF710
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear DJF710
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I was glad to read that your judgement extended beyond your initial impressions of the building and thought the inside ‘very nice’
I agree that the balcony features are worth every penny and there’s just enough space to sit and enjoy the great sea side panorama. I note your comment regarding the pictures in the bedrooms and I’m sure you’ll agree that the real picture from the balcony makes up for this!
Thank you for your observations regarding the food in the bar and the breakfast you enjoyed.
Finally, thank you for mentioning the service received from the team and saying that you’d recommend us. We do hope to see you again sometime very soon.