“Lovely Modern Hotel”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This was our first ever trip to Eastbourne & we were pleasantly surprised!
We stayed for three nights over a weekend. The hotel was beautifully modern, clean & spacious. The staff were very helpful, cheerful & catered to all our requests. There was a bit of refurbishment going on whilst we were there which had to be walked through on route to the breakfast/dining room but this didn't disturb us at all.
Our room (408) was on the 4th floor which wasn't a problem as there were lifts. The room itself was large with a super king size bed! Large desk/dressing table area, tea/coffee making facilities, TV, Air conditioning, hairdryer (however one of those that you had to hold in the button constantly for it to work) plentiful storage space & best of all...Wonderful sea views & a balcony! A little table would have been nice on the balcony & the sliding doors/windows could do with being cleaned a little more often perhaps! The en suite was very clean & modern with toiletries supplied.
Breakfast was held in the dining room & could not be faulted! With a wide choice of foods served (mostly buffet style) to suit every taste. However dinner was a different matter! Not much choice on the menu, not the best of food, a strange atmosphere (that of a canteen) & miserable looking staff! We then decided to try the bar for dinner after that. Again not much to choose on the menu, the food & staff were a little better but the large screen TV was almost unbearable with the sound coming & going & channels changing at random & with only one person watching! Also the air conditioning could have done with being turned down a little especially for the tables around the edge of the room underneath the vents! After a hot day... Brrrr..
It is £1 a day for a parking permit (purchased from the hotel) valid for the local area & beach front (zone H) The road outside the hotel is quite busy with parking all along it. You can pay at the machines if you have no permits but obviously it is more expensive.
Eastbourne itself was lovely. Everywhere was clean & bright. The garden areas were beautiful with plenty of seats. Lots going on. The only downfall was the pier! It badly needs updating!! Such a shame. They could do so much with it!
Overall we had a wonderful weekend & would recommend it to anyone of any age.

Room Tip: Choose a front sea view room with a balcony. Lovely to hear the sea in the quietness of the morning.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Lovey50_11
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
I am grateful for your constructive feedback, it is always a pleasure to receive this at it really helps identify and develop our services.
I was very pleased that you found our staff and bedrooms to your satisfaction and will be sure to pass your comments on.
I was however saddened to read that you were not totally satisfied with you dinning experience in our restaurant, we are in the process of planning an full refurbishment of our restaurant and also developing our food offering to a more modern concept which I am confident will be far more to your satisfaction.
I apologise that you found the staff to be miserable in the evening as this is unusual as we normally get such great feedback regarding their service.
This all said I thank you very much for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times in the past but this was the first time under the new ownership. The refurbishment of the bedrooms has been done to a high standard and it was very clean. Paying £189.00 per night we did have a few issues. In a double room, I would expect 2 armchairs and in the bathroom I would expect shampoo and conditioner not just a combined hair and body wash. There should be a small table on the balcony for drinks, papers, books and there is no fridge. Drinks in the bar are very expensive although there is a discount if you are a union member. This is not advertised and we only found out on the second day. A price list for drinks should be prominent, as I heard other guests making complaints regarding the cost after ordering their drinks. The dinners, although delicious, were a disppointment with very limited choice and small portions, but the breakfasts were good and plentiful. The staff were very professional, helpful and friendly. If staying in Eastbourne again we would look around for a better deal. There is not any entertainment now in the bar in the evening only a huge TV screen that is on constantly without any sound. The only time the sound was on was during the World Cup games.

Room Tip: Good views from rooms at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear briarleas
Thank you for your feedback as your opinion is very important to us
Firstly I would like to confirm that the ownership of the Hotel has not changed however we have and continue to review the business and make changes where necessary.
With regards to the beverage prices we have recently carried out a comparison of all the hotels in Eastbourne and can confirm that we are a competitively priced within our style of property, I can only apologise that you felt we were overpriced and that you were not aware of the concessions we have in place. I can also confirm that there is a price list on display at the end of the bar however I will look at relocating it to a more prominent position and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the professional, helpful and friendly staff. With regards to offers please keep your eye out on our website for the latest deals or alternatively if you would like to be added to our mailing list for our latest offers and promotion please feel free to contact the Hotel.
Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your experience as it really does help us manage the Hotel more effectively.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Following my last stay in Eastbourne in June 2013, we returned for the annual tennis once again.As the Cavendish Hotel was fully booked, we used the Eastbourne Centre instead. Situated on the Promenade, it was clean & comfortable. We had a larger double room than at the Cavendish, which suited my wife & I more.Staff were pleasant, breakfast was good & it was CHEAPER than the Cavendish. Think we will stay here next year. WARNING : This hotel does not have a car park. They issue vouchers at £1.00 a time for one days' off-street parking. However, if you have to park on the Promenade itself (quite safe) the vouchers only cover specific hours. Therefore, if staying for several days, the cost of car parking will mount up !

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a sea-view. Ask for a side room as you can still see the sea.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear BigBrian,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
I was very happy to read that you found our hotel to your satisfaction and that it was clean and comfortable for you. It was also highly encouraging to read that felt the hotel offered great value!
I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding the staff I know they will be thrilled to here this. I was also pleased to see that you enjoyed our fantastic breakfast offering.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent a night in this hotel as part of my wife's 50th birthday present from the kids we had a double room with balcony costing £180 a night half board.
The room was great nice and clean good size with a nice balcony facing the sea.
Nice big bed loads of room in there.
Parking was easy just outside you can get a ticket from the desk at £1.00 a day.
Now the bad ... Dinner in the restaurant was not good it was a Saturday night and sure not a lot to choose from ..main course was Cod or Chicken or braised beef or Tempura veg.
That's it 4 things to choose from in a £180 a night hotel ?
I place an order for drinks then we both went for the fish as there was little else to choose from.
The lady serving us must of been new she had trouble understanding our order and her English seem to be limited to sorry. so we had soup then we had fish just about finish eating that then she said she was sorry she would get the drinks soon told her it was to late now forget it.
Fish was full of bones o yes and it come with ok ready for this 9 chips and some green pea puree not the most filling of meals for sure.
Home now and after reading everyone else review I can see the food is the biggest complaint in this Hotel what a pity it spoils a great place to stay if the management read this and see the common theme about the food and the very limited menu they should take action as its letting the Hotel down sorry to say would not stay again unless we was to eat out.

Room Tip: ask for room with a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear 327mick
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
I was however sorry to read that your dining experience did not meet your expectations. As I have responded previously the Hotel currently offers a Table D’Hote menu which changes on a daily basis and we do aim to cater for all tastes.

This said we will soon be introducing a further menu for individual customers which we do hope will satisfy those looking for more choice before our big plans come into place in the New Year.
It was great to read that you appreciated the great parking arrangements here and otherwise had a comfortable stay.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for 2nights on an Amazon local deal. The booking was done and confirmed promptly and our paid voucher accepted and processed immediately.
We were told where best to park and offered a £1 voucher which as we had checked in on Sunday means we parked in the side street along side the hotel for the 2 days from Sunday 4pm and the Monday voucher covered us until our departure at 11am Tuesday.
Our room was spacious clean quiet and comfortable. We had a superior room included in the Amazon deal. We were situated on the 4th floor at the side of the hotel which gave us views of the sea and the pier.
We only had breakfast at the hotel and it was of good quality and excellent and varied choice.
There were some renovations going on and we had been emailed to warn us about this. We did not experience any inconvenience from this or noise.
I mention in the title don't be put off by the exterior there is a lot of grey slate cladding and the overall appearance is a bit forbidding. Inside it is fine the staff were helpful at all times.
I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Although we were on the side I think most rooms would have a sea view. Rooms on the front obviously...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ceredigionbear
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us.
The great news is that whilst we can’t change the 1970’s look of the building (which some want celebrated!) we do plan to smarten up the outside over the summer months. This hopefully will add to the character of the Hotel and move toward the same high level of quality enjoyed inside.
I was pleased that you were both aware of the improvements we are making internally and that you didn’t notice any intrusions from this. This phase to create a stunning new event space will be complete soon and available for all book or just be nosey!
We have been making subtle changes to the breakfast offering over the past months and I was delighted to note that you rated the food of good quality and that there was a great variety.
Thanks for saying you’d stay again and I hope it won’t be too long before you’re back.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Have stayed here quite a few times for conferences, its currently having a refurbishment but still really good.

Do not be put off by the concrete exterior!

The rooms are fabulous, really large comfy beds, spotless spacious modern and fantastic views. Really quiet, did not here a sound from the party just two floors below.

The terrace really could do with a complete makeover but inside is fab. The conferencing facility needs an equipment upgrade, sound was poor , screen was not brill but staff did best to fix. Water coolers need to be installed instead of a few bottles among dozens of delegate!

Food, Normally the food is fab but was really disappointed by dinner, ok its not the hotels fault that the choices are not what I would have normally chosen, but the choice was very limited and was tough if you didn't like chips or rice, a nice salad would have been welcome in this weather!, I wonder if its different chefs as it just was not the quality of previously, the help yourself buffet style was not available this time and I also heard someone complaining about the quality of room service food. However the staff are lovely really helpful and breakfast among the best. Reception staff extremely helpful .

I would recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay but try one of the many restuarants in town if you want a quality meal.

Room Tip: From what I can tell all rooms have sea views and are fabulous
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank molliemoosmum

Dear molliemoosmum
Thank you for taking the time to write up a review of your recent stay at the Hotel.
It is always good to hear from guests who have stayed a number times and I was also encouraged to read that you were not inconvenienced by the current improvement works!
We are planning further improvements to the meeting rooms and you’ll be pleased to note that we will be introducing water coolers really soon.
I also note your comment regarding the Restaurant dinner options and whilst we have big plans for this area in the New Year we will be ensuring that salads are available as well as trialling the introduction of an increased menu for individual guests later this month.
Overall it was great that you had a comfortable stay and thank you for mentioning the ‘lovely’ team here and the quality of our breakfast.
We hope to welcome you back soon so you can see the improvements that we continue to make!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Like many other reviewers of the Eastbourne Centre, we had a deal via Amazon Local for two nights B & B, a gift from our daughter as we wanted to visit family who have just moved down to Sovereign Harbour. Having used various voucher deals in the past, the experiences haven't all been that good but this one was first class. No, pretty the exterior is not but once you get inside a very different story. The public areas are extremely comfortable, airy and peaceful. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good with tables set well apart to afford some privacy. A very extensive choice of food which I would consider very acceptable. Sure there are small things that might niggle some but really I don't believe that slightly soft toast is anything to complain about. Service was absolutely fine, friendly and polite.
Our King Room with balcony was great. Not huge but perfectly adequate with, probably, the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in and, believe me, I have slept in many in 5star establishments that wouldn't come up to the standard of this bed. Good bathroom, again spotlessly clean and the biggest bonus was our
balcony, which given the most beautiful weather, was just heaven to sit on first thing in the morning and watch the hardy souls swimming as the sun came up.Well worth the upgrade supplement. Lovely. We were on the 5th floor and so had a terrific view both ways. We will certainly be back and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have less traffic noise but with very efficient air-conditioning it wouldn...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JoybellKent
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay!
It was fantastic to read that you consider the hotel to be a ‘real gem’ and that you had a really comfortable stay with us.
It was particularly pleasing to read that you appreciated the restaurant as well as receiving our usual level of friendly service.
We agree that the views from our balcony rooms are outstanding, worth the little extra, and I’m glad the weather was kind to you too.
Thanks for saying you’d recommend us without hesitation and we hope you’ll be back to visit friends sometime soon.