“Downgraded!”

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Eastbourne
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Downgraded!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I was staying here on a conference and was initially looking forward to staying her as if previously been here on business a couple of years ago. What a change!! The food was absolutely terrible, and the service took way too long, my colleagues and I waiting 40 minutes between courses. The staff appeared massively under stress and clearly disorganised. Whilst my room was clean, the facilities in it were not good. The pillows were so hard I developed a painful neck, something many of the other delegates complained about too. The iron in the room stuck to my clothes and creased then rather than ironed them and the safe took over 20 attempts each time to either open or close.

Whilst the room was clean, light, and airy and the views were great I would not be happy at having to eat here again. They really do need to raise their game!!

Distinctly average!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Matt_Huddart, General Manager at The View Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Darren B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I was sorry to read that your most recent stay was not as enjoyable as your last. I was personally involved in the evening service for the majority of last week to ensure that all 65+ guests were served within the 1.5 hour time slot allocated and I am further sorry if the menu did not suit your taste.
It was also disappointing to read that you experienced challenges in your bedroom and I will ensure that both the iron and safe are checked to ensure that they are operating correctly.
Thank you once again.
Matt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Romford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed there last weekend and had a wonderful time. It has recently been refurbished to a very high standard. The bar and lounge area are very nicely decorated and the rooms are very spacious with lovely balconies and great views. The staff are extremely helpful. We will certainly be going back.

Room Tip: Room 512 is a sea view with a lovely balcony
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ron_GlenRomford
Thank you for the review of your stay with us at the Eastbourne Centre and I was thrilled that you had a ‘wonderful’ time!
I’m glad you received our usual helpful service and I also thank you for saying that you will choose us again.
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights and we really enjoyed our stay. We had booked a room with a balcony and a sea view and it was worth it. The room was lovely. It was clean, the bed was huge and very comfortable, and you could not fault the bathroom. The air conditioning worked really well. Breakfast was delicious. We decided not to eat here in the evenings as there are so many good restaurants within easy walking distance.
The hotel is right on the sea front, and we could see the burnt out pier in the distance. A sad sight indeed! We had to pay £1 a day for a parking permit, but that was no problem and we parked right in front of the hotel. The promenade was just over the road and we enjoyed walking along it.
We had to pay for our room on arrival, which was unusual, but that is a very minor complaint. Another slight negative was the bar: I did not like the lagers on offer.
All in all, a great stay, and I would stay here again if I go back to Eastbourne.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony and a sea view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JamTarts55
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you really enjoyed your stay and appreciated the comfort of your room.
Thank you for highlighting the parking arrangements – the parking voucher scheme really does represent great value!
Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the selection of beer in the bar which has been noted.
Finally, thank for saying you’d stay again and we hope it won’t be too long before we see you again.
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel is in a superb location, just over the road is the beach,with the band stand, the pier and the wish tower all within easy walking distance. Breakfast was excellent, with a good choice and plentiful. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The hotel rooms are nicely decorated with tea and coffee, ironing board/iron and the rooms at the front have balconies which provide an excellent view all along the sea front. The only negative of the rooms are the bathrooms, although modern and well equipped, the shower is over the bath. This proved tricky for my elderly parents who found it difficult to climb over the bath. You would think that a hotel that caters for the older person would consider this. This hotel has recently been refurbished you would have thought that bathrooms with a walk in shower would be more appropriate.

Room Tip: pick a room overlooking the front, high floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Angela F
Dear Angela F
Thank you for your review it is most appreciated.
It was fantastic to read that you enjoyed the great location and enjoyed the excellent breakfast selection.
As you note all of our bedrooms are modern and have been recently refurbished and as part of this we took the opportunity to include a number of accessible rooms which feature walk in showers. These rooms can be booked in advance and I would suggest that if any future guests have similar needs that these are booked.
Finally, thank you for highlighting the helpful and friendly team here and we hope that you be back to see us again.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely clean room, nice friend staff. Sea view.
Food is atrocious. Watery mashed potatoes, rubberised gammon, very fatty pork.
What looks like last nights leftovers, recycled for today's lunch - Pork casserole.
Nice cup of tea though.
I would suggest if you come here plan to eat your evening meal in 'spoons or Harry Ramsdens.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Julie T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I was great to read that you found your room clean with a great view and that you received our usually friendly level of service.

It was disappointed to note that you were not entirely satisfied with your evening meals and I’m sorry that we couldn’t do more to address this at the time.

I do hope we might see you back in the Eastbourne Centre in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Dead easy to find and good access to get into and around the hotel. Welcoming and accessible staff and decent dinner and too good puddings.. oh ok, I'll have another!

15 mins walks from the station and quite literally on the seafront, buses pass it by.
You can do long and winding walks or short ones up and down the pebbly beach.. its clean and some natural smells of lavender and more which are just lovely..

Oh back to the hotel.. I love the toiletries too, natural bath salts, shower gels and all. Smell amazing and feel fab!

And yes its a UNITE the union hotel, so some parts of it have a good union feel with the odd course running and delegates in attendance.. no bad thing eh! Unite members check out union rates too..

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea with a balcony as you book!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear artix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

It was great to read that you found our location perfect and thank you for highlighting the walks that can be taken to admire the beach and surrounding area.

As you titled states most of our rooms do have fantastic views, although these and balconies do need to be booked at the time of reservation!

I’m glad you enjoyed dinner and by reading your review you really enjoyed the desserts!

We hope you’ll be back to see us again sometime soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I've stayed at the Eastbourne Centre on several occasions now and can really recommend it for good value accommodation right where the action is in Eastbourne. Its trade-union roots aren't immediately obvious - it has the same feel as a holiday inn or travel lodge - but look closer and you'll see the painting of the Tolpuddle Matyrs ;) Breakfast buffet good standard fare and evening meals a little variable but on the whole fine. This place won't blow your mind with originality but neither will it let you down and if you're looking for something reliably good, this is it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carla M
Dear Carla M

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

It is always great to receive feedback from guests who have stayed a number of times and I thank you for using the Hotel once again.

I was pleased that you class us as ‘reliably good’ and thank you in particular for your feedback on breakfast.

As you may be aware we have some exciting plans for the Hotel and hopefully when complete these will really complement our already consistent service and product.

We hope to see you again soon for another stay.