“Seafront cafe serving good food with friendly service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #55 of 396 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Price range: US$40 - US$161
Cuisines: Belgian, Seafood, European
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Proud to be voted 'Eastbourne's Best Restaurant' Sovereign Awards 2012. We are famed for our freshly prepared seafood specialities, including 50 different ways to enjoy mussels, and our amazing selection of over 100 Belgian beers.
Hong Kong, China
“Seafront cafe serving good food with friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Belgian Cafe is located right on the Eastbourne promenade. To be honest, I would not normally visit this type of cafe, particularly when it is on the sea front! However, it turned out to be a little gem, with good food and very friendly and helpful service. We had a light meal of starters but I saw other diners digging into mussels and superb-looking chips.

The chairs look rather out of place and the stairs leading to the WCs desperately need renovation – threadbare carpet (dangerous) etc – but overall a very pleasant experience with a very reasonable cost.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Best place for beer in Eastbourne! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

I've been told countless times to come and visit the belguim cafe but I never really had the time but today I made the time to visit to catch up with an old friend. When we arrived we were greeted by a polite waitress that showed us to our table and when we were ready to choose our beer from what was the best selection of beers I've seen in any local bars or restaurants, my friend and I choose the lindermans faro which was a nice refreshing beer that was more like a cider, it came in its own glass. We had a nice catch up and when the glass was nearly empty a waiter came over and politely asked if we wanted another beer which of course we did but this time we had a quak which was an amber beer that came in a test tube glasses with a wooden holder, the beer was completely different from the first one but it was just as nice. I only spent an hour or so in the cafe but I am already arranging a birthday meal there, it is my new favourite place in Eastbourne, definitely visit here if you can.

Epsom, United Kingdom
“Nice large outdoor area but SA wine poor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We went for a drink Saturday afternoon while the airshow was still on - there wwas lots of people around and this place was packed. The waiters were helpful enough but did not really respond to our request that we need to leave very soon and wanted to pay the bill asap - the wrong wine pinot grigio came and with hindsight would have been a better option - the South African sauvignon blanc was horrible and we emptied our glasses into the bottel. The prices was average.

Visited August 2014
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Don't ask for tap water!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We went in here for lunch on a very busy day during Airbourne. There were 4 of us. We ordered a bottle of Pinot Grigio, a glass of Apple juice and 2 glasses of tap water plus our meals. The wine and apple juice took about 15 mins to arrive, but they were busy. I asked about the tap water, it didn't come. Our meals arrived after approx 30 mins, I asked again for tap water. My daughter and I had pulled pork, hers in a wrap, mine in a jacket potato. It looked nothing like pulled pork to us and we had to leave a lot of it as it was just fat. I asked another waitress about tap water, she said the bar was busy, but as we received our drinks in reasonable time, this didn't quite make sense, as tap water is a drink! We ate our meals and when the waitress cleared the plates, I pointed out that I had asked for tap water 5 times and still didn't have any. She immediately brought 2 glasses, followed shortly by another waitress with 4 glasses of water, who explained the bar had just done our order! Therefore it took 1 hour 30mins to get the tap water!! I'm afraid that the excuse of the bar being busy doesn't really hold because they can only cater for the covers they have and should be able to provide for those covers.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Dotty003
Hastings
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Went here last night, he was absolutely packed which may not of helped. When the food arrived, my girlfriend got her mussels first, then it must've been a 10minute wait before I got my burger. The chips werent fully cooked, we mentioned this, they took them away and didn't bring any new ones back, they asked what sauces we'd like but never got any. For the price, £12.50 for a burger its a bit of an insult that you didn't get nice chips, tasted like the cheapest frozen ones you could buy. Wouldn't go back. Or recomend.

• Visited August 2014