“The best Pub in Eastbourne has just got better.”
Review of The Pilot Inn

The Pilot Inn
Ranked #35 of 399 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2015

A friend of mine from Esher comes to visit and have lunch every couple of weeks, we have been to most places in Eastbourne and the good pubs in the surrounding area.
However, for the last 5 occasions she has chosen to go to the Pilot.
Its not hard to know why, a friendly welcome by charming efficient staff, spotlessly clean, good friendly atmosphere and very good food and wine.
When we went home my husband asked Lesley, how was the food ? She just gave this huge smile of contentment.
The design and quality of the new extension is quite superb, the best Pub in Eastbourne just got better

Date of visit: July 2015
Write a reviewReviews (595)

Reviewed 6 July 2015

It is easy to see why The Pilot was the Eastbourne Herald's pub of the year and gets many good reviews.

It is near the seafront and the downs. The food is generally very good and not unreasonable priced. The beers are also good, although it is ridiculous that they have twice run out of Harvey's Bitter in recent months.

What lets The Pilot down is the staff. On my last visit there were very few customers. I was served at the bar by a barmaid whilst next to me a guy was waiting to order. A barman was standing at the end of the bar chatting ignoring the customer next to me. After I was served the barmaid moved to join the conversation ignoring the customer waiting. It took several loud calls before he could get any attention.

On another occasion I pointed out a mistake in my food bill which was in my favour. This was greetly sourly by the waitress who brought back the bill which was still wrong and in my favour. On the third attempt she got it right but did not offer so much as a thank you for my honesty.

The problem is a lack of supervision. Whoever is in charge should be there and when there spend more time behind the bar ! A little more attention and this would be a great pub.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed 29 June 2015

i visited the Pilot today with my husband and three year old. The staff that worked behind the bar where not the friendliest and the owners where even worse. The atmosphere you get is that unless your a regular or a local then you are not made to feel welcome!
a local customer that was sitting at the bar quoted "drown that child" when my three year old shouted out in excitement to see me when he approached the bar from the garden! which I thought was totally inappropriate and hurtful but staff just looked away!
'the food that we ordered took an hour to come out with no apology and they didn't even bring my sons food out for another 10 minutes after that!
We have visited this pub a few times and felt we have received that same sort of reception on all occasions. its that reasson why we have now decided to write this review.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank Bella K
Reviewed 29 June 2015

I absolutely love everything about this pub - the owners, staff, ambience are great but the food is second to none. The sausages are the best in Sussex bar none. Thank you SO much for a fabulous time. X

Date of visit: May 2015
Reviewed 23 June 2015

Visiting family in Eastbourne and they took us to this pub.
We went with two pushchairs and the garden, though nice, was not pushchair friendly as there are a lot of steps.
Food on menu was typical pub grub and mains but there was a lot of choice and when food arrived was plenty of it and very nice.
Staff were very friendly and helpful (fetching us highchairs).
It was clearly have some building work done and had temporary toilets which were clean.

Date of visit: June 2015