“food excellent but small room”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Strand Hotel

The Strand Hotel
Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in Eastbourne
welling
“food excellent but small room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

The hotel was right on the beach you could park for free around the side streets, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was very nice . the only downside to this hotel is the bedroom and bathroom very small you could not swing a cat in there (and im not joking) the stairs were steep as well , the bed was very hard so we didnt get much sleep but it was a new mattress so thats a plus point.I dont know what the entertainment was like as we were there for a family celabration which was at another hotel

Room Tip: ask for seaview otherwise your get the view of drainpipes and pigeons and groundfloor if pos due to...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mazip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was one of our most memorable stops on our tour of the South Coast and Northern France. The location was perfect being right on the waterfront and the rest of our 110 strong party certainly seemed as pleased with the place as we were. Service was very efficient and nothing seemed too much trouble - my wife and I made a number of small requests for travel adapters, extra towels and recommendations on where to visit during the day and each time the staff were impeccably courteous and always made us feel like they had time for us, even though we could see that the whole place was booked to capacity - very professional and much better and more personal service than we would have expected for the price we paid. We mostly ate out, other than for once for dinner and breakfast, both of which had a fine choice and variety and again service was very quick and nothing ever felt like too much trouble - surprising and much enjoyed. The quality of the food was definitely up to the standard that my wife and I would expect from a 3-4 star chain, which was a pleasant surprise and again, not what we were expecting. We opted for a basic room but it was well furnished for the size and very clean - it looked (and smelt) like it had been repainted recently and the flat screen tv and sizeable beds were what we were hoping to have for our two-night stay. Bathroom was simple but clean.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone wanting a simple, hassle-free break or a pass-through for a broader trip like we did.

Room Tip: Go simple and be guided by the price and you won't go wrong
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank W F
Grays
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

When I walk in it look nice the manager said any problems see me, I have never been such cramp bathroom the bedroom was not much better rearly need decorating.

Being disable I need a handrail in small shower spoke to the manage said one would fit the next day but never was the shower head had not be clean cake in line scale.

The food was uneatable we had two coaths any evey bode had complaites which management just ignored. Nevery Again I could not give this Hotel any rate as it was so bad.

George Crone from GRAYS ESSEX

Room Tip: Find a other hotel
1 Thank George C

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

Tilbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

First of all, I would like to say that we were greeted by the manager when we arrived by coach, she did say any problems that you need to report please come to me, but obviously this didn't happen during the stay. We finally got our room keys at 3:30pm, when I walked into the room my first thought was that the decor was poor and most of the room was dirty and gritty. Bed linen was clean, towels were rediculously hard and I had to then go into the town to buy my own after the hotel didn't provide any more for me.
Toilet would not flush and shower didn't work well at all, it trickled with water and was very dangerous getting in and out of it. There was no rail and no storage places to put your toiletries.
When entering the restaurant we realised that the rooms and decor was not the only bad thing in this rediculous hotel. The restaurant had no routine and was very unhygienic as cutlery was unclean, etc. the decor was VERY POOR!
The food wasn't up to standards and you had very basic choice of food. To be honest I wouldnt dish this restaurants food up to a dog. On one evening the restaurant served a so called steak pie with no vegetables, they claimed after 10 minutes of waiting that they run out and it would take 20 minutes to cook some more, which was pathetic. This restaurant had no intrest in helping you!
The only good thing was the entertainment. I enjoyed it every night although air con/fans would help as it was very hot. TERRIBLE RESTARANT! DON'T GO THERE!

1 Thank Ann H
Tilbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Our room was a fiasco, 3rd floor - lift holds 3 persons (all 3 of them) going to different parts of the Holtel. No signs to show where rooms were,another guest told us which way to go - through 2 fire doors down a flight of stairs. Hey the room 2 beds in a sigle room 1 bedside table between them, double wardrobe with sliding doors. Flat screen TV on a table no draws for clothes. Bathroom well... no shelves for toiletries, 18 inches between bath (with shower over, that fires straight at the door) toa toilet that you had to fight to flush. At foot of bath a tiny,tiny sink again no shelves- hot water from cold tap and cold water from hot tap also (I thought not allowed in letting rooms) a fixed window

Room Tip: Request a room that has been upgraded front, lower floor and the ground floor Dining room
1 Thank Doreen B
Rainham . Essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

The staff at this hotel are friendly, courteous and polite , the hotel lobby has been refurbished to a decent standard but the rest of the hotel is stuck in a time warp. The bedrroom I had had stains on the ceiling of the toilet cubicle , an extremely dirty ancient window, a small shower cubicle with no place to hang a dressing gown when going into the shower. On the positive side the water was hot and the shower although not great was adequate. The bed linen was spotless and the beds were comfortable.
The dining area and the food is another story. To access the dining area it was necessary to make your way down fairly steep steps into a rather dingy room where we ate very non descript food. There was lack of imagination with any of the meals , most were tasteless. . As we were a party of over 150 pensioners the stairs were a real hazard as were the antiquated lifts with outer wooden doors which if your arms were not very strong were difficult to open.
The young woman who served our meals was brilliant a true professional who never stopped smiling and being polite even when having to reply to many complaints from the guests. Her name is Zara and she did a lot to made my stay a more pleasant one, just to watuch her at work.
I loved Eastbourne , it was my first visit there and I will go back but.....certainly not to the Hilton. That is an experience I would never want to repeat.
Hilton management need to read these reviews and act on them if they intend staying in business.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 218 .
4 Thank Pearl C
Romford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Was told my room would be ready at 3pm, wasn't able to access it until 3.30pm TV did not work, no one had bothered to tune it in! Corners being cut was evident, soap no other toiletries which is ok but tea & coffee faciities poor - 2 sachets of coffee, two tea bags, two cartons of milk making 4 drinks but only two milks(no biscuits). No ' DO NOT DISTURB' sign. My 1st room looked out on the most disgusting rubbish dump, piled high and getting bigger by the day! Full payment deducted from my credit card before I arrived. My first night - plunged into pitch darkness due to power fault, night porter could not help, it was the greatest effort to get a bedside lamp,then no bedside points to plug it in . Asked to be moved to another room as light not fixed, this room too had many problems, in the first the radiator top had come away from wall, the second room had no shelves to put toiletries, the soap dish hung off wall, the hot tap almost loose from sink, no chest of draws to fold clothes. The shower door could be locked from outside so someone could lock you in there! No hairdryer in either room.
On a positive note, breakfast good, friendly service but that's about it!

Room Tip: Not sure what other rooms like
3 Thank Andree M