“do not go!!!!”
Review of The Strand Hotel

The Strand Hotel
Ranked #39 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 28 March 2014

hotel was like a hostel dirty with mould growing up the wall by the television aswell as in the shower tray one of the doors was held on by 2 screws one of which was out. after stayin in this hotel looking at some of the photos on here are unrecognisable the dirty photos I do recognise!! when I asked the staff what star hotel this was the said they thought it shouldn't be a 2 more like a 1! very poor I didn't eat here as I thought if the kitchen was as dirty as the rest of the place I would be ill!

Room Tip: choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ashley s

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I visited this hotel with a 'Just Go' group in March, 2014. Because this was a budget holiday, we did not expect much, but were extremely delighted by our visit.
The hotel is in a good position, facing the sea, just a few hundred yards from the pier and shopping centre. Our room and bathroom were small, but very clean and bright and cleaned daily. All the reception rooms were well furnished and very clean.
We were very impressed by the staff: the receptionist was very helpful and gave us a warm welcome. Our waiter Vasgo and waitress Marlen were very friendly, cheerful and quick with the service. As for the meals, we could not fault them - good size portions and well cooked.
We had entertainment every night. Normally on this sort of group holiday we expect just a keyboard player and were surprised by the good voices and variety of entertainment.
If we go to Eastbourne we will definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elizabet2013
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We booked a deal, staying at this hotel from Friday to Monday, half board and have to say for the money we paid, it was excellent value for money. The receptionist was very friendly, and although our room was small and did not have a good view, it was quiet at night, and clean, and was cleaned every day. We found the bed to be very comfortable. The whole hotel would benefit from some TLC and updating in parts, but overall it was clean, and the staff were very friendly.
The food was served at the tables, and a choice of food for all courses, and the waiting staff could not do enough for us, very pleasant and attentive. The only criticism would be that the food could sometimes have been a little bit hotter. Mention has been made in previous reviews about the basement restaurant, but once you were in there you would not have known where you were and it made no difference at all.
The hotel is situated on the sea front, with free parking in the streets behind, although for £1 a day I believe you could buy a voucher to place in your car which enabled you to park on the road at the front of the hotel. There is a drop off area in front of the hotel. A short walk takes you into the town, where buses are available to take you to other towns, at no cost if you use your bus pass!
Overall good value for money and we enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jamesnan
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Booked this hotel last minute as my husband and I decided to make the most of the nice weather and go walking! When we first arrived the receptionist was not very welcoming. When we eventually found our room, we were very disappointed, carpet was dirty, bed was very small and the decor and furniture were dated. The toilet in our room was broken, we reported this to reception who's solution was for us to use another toilet in another room down the corridor, I didn't think this was an acceptable solution. It would have been nice to have a sea view, but we booked last minute so what can you expect. The location is brilliant, and for £49 (breakfast included) a night it's not bad for a one night stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank botleygirl
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here for one night (7th March) for a wedding reception which was also held within the hotel. The public areas (entrance level) are smart, clean, bright and welcoming. Unfortunately that's where it ends.

The Room - Comfortable bed and a lovely view overlooking the seafront, spoilt by tatty carpets, old drafty windows which don't close properly, a shower which barely works and a toilet that in the middle of the night I couldn't get out of for a minute as the handle was on upside down! There was no phone in the room to call down to reception (even though other rooms did have one) and when using the spyhole in the door, well there's nothing 'spy' about it - it's a hole in the door!

Breakfast - I actually cannot fault the food, lovely bacon, eggs and beans. Plenty of toast, coffee & juices. It's just a shame after ordering the Full English they had no sausages, mushrooms or hash browns. Surely it's not rocket science to establish the day before how many guests you have for breakfast in the morning and then ordering enough food? Also, if you want to sit in the dining area at the front of the hotel looking out at the lovely seafront think again. Breakfast is served in the dark, damp basement.

The Staff - These I could not fault, polite, helpful and very friendly. A young guy named David couldn't do enough to help us. They truely are one of the only assets this hotel has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank smeeinnit
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I returned from this hotel on the 7th March as part of a coach trip, whilst the public rooms where smart I do think that the bedrooms could do with some more attention. In my room the windows were filthy with pigeon mess which in a way was a blessing as the view outside was terrible. I would add it was not a sea view! I found the bed to be the most lumpy uncomfortable I have ever slept in, the shower was either too cold or too hot and the toilet moved when you got up, this I reported to reception but it was not fixed. The service in the restaurant was very slow and the food was served cold and was very good. I would not use this hotel again and couldn't wait to get home, which was a shame as I liked Eastbourne very much

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank pamela s
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed for a Monday to Friday half board break. Upgraded at hotel for a sea view room which greatly enhanced our stay. Staff throughout hotel friendly, helpful and efficient. We liked the choices and quality of food. We spoke to a number of people who were returning customers. There are improvements taking place and previous reviewers comments about minor issues are valid. As a value for money short holiday, I would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple