“anniversary let down” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“anniversary let down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

i went to this hotel,as been to hilton hotels before,but none were like this one,first of all the lift,one person ,one case thats all you could fit in there,and always sounded like it was going to break down,the room queen size bed with double bed sheet and duvet,pillows were so thin could have folded and put in pocket,whenslept in bed my feet hanged out the bottom,carpet was dirtier than my back garden,shower was so small,had to turn sideways to have a shower,toilet,when you sat down you hit your knees on facing wall,washbasin,when you cleaned your teeth you had to turn sideways to do this,then when you bent downrap to wash your mouth out you hit your head on shelf,boiled the the kettle for tea the bedside lights would go out,best thing in room that worked was t.v.,breakfast,full english,what a disappointment,to small to mention,continental breakfast,menu says,a choice of cold meats and cheeses,pastries and crusty rolls,well,a slice of ham,a inch of chedder cheese, a croissont,and a custard danish,,would never stay here again,this was my wedding anniversary weekend away,eastbourne lovely,hotel crap,and everyone we met in hotel said the same,peoples tv not working,dirty linen,lack of food,toilets filling up all nite,dont recommend to anyone

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Just returned from this hotel about a week ago as part of a 5 day coach party. The Hotel had only been taken over by new ownership and management a week before my stay.
It seems that the hotel is being refurbished in stages. The public rooms and reception area look lovely. The bedrooms are over 3 floors and gradually being revamped.. My single sea view room was on the first floor and found it to be spacious- clean and comfortable. However it seems to be that other bedrooms are not up to the same standard and size.
The hotel has a very small lift. The food seemed to get better as the stay went on-don't know if there was a change of chef? Coach parties eat in the Bistro restaurant in the basement area- other guests will eat in the restaurant upstairs.
There was entertainment on every evening.
The hotel's location is great right on the seafront and a short distance from the pier and town centre.
Found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. It is a value for money type of accommodation. At the moment I must admit that opinions how to rate this hotel would depend on the standard of bedroom is allocated.

Room Tip: First floor rooms with a seaview
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank georgia w
Maldon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We arrived on Thursday 10/4/14 the Hotel Reception area is Brilliant & thought we had made a wise choice OH DEAR! how wrong we where, when we got to our room there was a King Size bed fantastic until you you set on it & it just creaked & groaned i weigh 13 stone I don't believe it was not that that caused it, next trick was trying to hang our clothes up due to the bottom of the bed being only 15" away from the ward robe doors you could not open them,next to the so called en-suite which contained a shower & so called wash basin the basin held approx 4 cups of water it was so small you could barely wash your hands in it, the shower was very weak & the control knob broken, which had caused mould & dirt to build up, there are no Shaving points at this hotel apparently its against their policy so is to provide hair dryers, if you had an electric razor the one electric point is well away from any mirrors, the toilet was clean but very small room, if you wanted to wash your hands afterwards it is a mission you have to crab walk along the end of the bed or climb over the bed as bathroom & toilet are at opposite end of room. We where woken several times on our first night by a loud clicking noise couldn't make it out until the morning when we touched the kettle it was red hot the last Guests or maid had left the kettle switched on with no water in it & it was constantly switching itself on & off how it didn't catch fire I don't know, By the way you couldn't fill the kettle up any way it wont go under the tap of the mini sink if would to be filled by drinking glasses.
We phoned the hotel day before arrival asking if we could book an evening meal on day of arrival the receptionist told us the restaurant was being done up & no meals where available (I think she was doing us a favour) when we arrived the receptionist told us they where doing meals so we booked, it was like school meals from the 60s & 70s,
The breakfast was enjoyable but the second day was completely different set up to the first we got the impression that all the staff returned to work on that Saturday as they where every where & helpful prior to that it seemed as though 3 staff where doing every thing.
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WASH,SHOWER,SHAVE,SLEEP AT NIGHT OR MAKE A CUP OF DRINK THIS HOTEL IS FOR YOU.

Room Tip: View before you book in
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blindcarpetman

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

Seaford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We booked through booking.com and arrived at this hotel Friday afternoon on the 28th march. As we approached the hotel we were warned by others about how terrible it was and to pick another hotel. We went in and I asked to see the room before I paid for our weekend (£49 per night with breakfast) because of what the couple had said outside. The receptionist explained that there are 2 sides to the hotel, private bookings & the coach "class" people, they get put at the back of the hotel where it's not so nice as they only pay £35-£40 per night with dinner also included (which for that price what are people expecting!) Anyway, she showed us our room & i was happy, it was nice and big, lovely and warm, comfy bed and nice clean bedding (with a duvet), blackout curtains and a nice little flat screen tv which had freeview. My only 2 problems with the whole stay was the shower, the holder had broken so u had to hold it yourself and also the shower curtain was cheap looking and had discolouration to the bottom (also I prefer baths) and at breakfast they served tinned mushrooms which I didn't attempt to eat. Everything else was great & we would stay again.

1 Thank LishKitten
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was looking for a discount hotel in Eastbourne on the seafront for under £40 a night for a weekend away. This ticked all the boxes, price, location and tasty breakfast. The room was spotless which is very important for me and my partner. Would definitely stay again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I'd like to start this reveiw by stating that for £47 a night I wasn't expecting huge things. However, on walking into the stylish lobby to the well presented faces of this hotel I thought I'd struck gold. The welcome was warm and well organised. The lift to the third floor appeared to be quaint and in keeping with the hotel. I think I used it once; I was terrified of it. 2 person maximum space limit, forget the luggage (my partner and I are not huge people). This charm ended at the third floor. The carpets did not reflect the cique of the first impression. My dissapointment deepened on entering our room (310) where the first thing that I noticed was the large crack and water mark on the ceiling, followed by the broken panes of glass in the window, the curtains that were barely hanging on in there, the grey net curtain in the bathroom, the shower curtain than was barely long enough and cheep to boot. The plastic toilet cistern didn't fill me confidence that it would stay attached to the wall either. The bathroom floor tiles had cracked which I didn't notice until I ended up with masonry in my foot. On the second morning the extremely helpful and accomodating waitress informed us that we shouldn't be in this particular breakfast room, as we had yesterday, as this was reserved for the coach trips; this explained the poor service and utter chaos of the morning before. Again, I didn't expect miracles as regards to breakfast, however, frying EVERY part of the english breakfast was not my idea of a good, hearty start to my day. The best part of this stay was the bed and the location of the hotel. I would, however, like to point out that on checking out I was not asked how I enjoyed my stay and had to ask where I could leave my comments. Its safe to say I will not be staying here again or recommending it to anyone.

1 Thank Honest_travelz

FOOD
Very Bland
Service Apalling

Entertaint good but to Loud for Sze of Roon

Room Tip: Don't Go
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends